Perry tells social conservatives to pray for Obama
September 22nd, 2011

Perry tells social conservatives to pray for Obama

Orlando, Florida (CNN) - Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Thursday asked an audience of social conservatives in Florida to pray for President Barack Obama.

"As I campaign for president, I not only ask you for your vote and your support, I ask you for your prayers," Perry said. "I ask you to pray for our country. I ask you to pray for our president to give him wisdom, to open his eyes."

Perry was addressing a rally organized by the conservative Faith and Freedom Coalition ahead of Thursday night's GOP presidential debate in Orlando.

As he was deciding whether to run for president, Perry said prayer played a powerful role. The governor said he couldn't have entered the race "without being driven to my knees on many occasions."

Also see:

Issa endorses Romney

New ad targets GOP candidates over health care

Perry fights back on secession claim

Filed under: 2012 • Florida • President Obama • Rick Perry
  1. GI Joe

Pray that God creates jobs - because the republicans are not going to - in fact they are blocking all the other ideas to create jobs too.

September 23, 2011 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  2. once upon a horse

Well I have to admit this is better than that nutty pastor in Arizona that prayed for Obama to die. Yet in Perry's prayer perhaps he can also pray that the GOP open their eyes too, that American are tired of poverty and the wealthy getting all the protection while the middle clas is struggling. And pray for himself to tell the truth more and may the Almighty strike him down when he doesn't.

September 23, 2011 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  3. ED FL

Hopefully it isn't a TEXAS prayer, look what it has done for Perry. Wait until his real personal life starts to become public.

September 23, 2011 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  4. Ex Republican in Texas

Rumor has it Perry's driven to his knees for something other than prayer!

September 23, 2011 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  5. atroy

I've met Perry on several occasions and can tell you that he is very quick to get on his knees.......and so good with his tongue too!

September 23, 2011 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  6. Inrealityhere

And God said, "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from tier wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
    It's a principle that we all would do well to take seriously. It applies to everyone in this nation including Mr. Perry and President Obama AND everyone else. God said it; your choice if you want to be part of the problem or part of the healing. We all sin and we all should repent.

September 23, 2011 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  7. AntiFringe

That's just plain scary.

September 23, 2011 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  8. proudmemberofglobalzero

Gosh...if Governor Perry only had a brain....if this country votes any of these yahoo's in....I pray they grow a brain.

September 23, 2011 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  9. Joel3

As a believer, and one who prays daily and believes whole-heartedly in the offering up of prayer, I do NOT believe it can or should be used as a political tool to sway one's opinion or vote in one direction or another. A REAL Christian is focused on advancing God's kingdom and sharing the truth. We should not be concerned with what people, or any group of people, think of us. Even if those people happen to call themselves "conservative" whatever that means. And if any Christian decides to run for office, put your ideas and beliefs on the table, just don't shove them in folks' faces for "brownie points." Be real to yourself, your nation, and your God, and THEN He may just ANSWER your prayers. Personally, I will be voting for Barack in 2012. And guess what? he doesn't have to "remind me" that he's a Christian every 5 minutes. Understand my point?

September 23, 2011 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  10. Texas Doc

Look at what his paraying for us in Texas has done. He must be praying to the devil.

September 23, 2011 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  11. What!!?!

"I ask you to pray for our country...."

But if you pray for all of humanity or anything outside the borders of this country, may you be struck down by lightning.

September 23, 2011 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  12. Sniffit

Be sure to let me know when Parry starts saying things that matter, mmmkay?

September 23, 2011 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  13. Jim

The more he pushes for prayer, and for "Christian" behavior, the more I doubt the truth of his faith. I think his "faith" is a way to get elected. I think if someone dug hard enough, they would find some fairly un-Christian behavior in Perry's past. True Christianity is about faith in God and humility before his greatness. Not about shouting your faith from the tree-tops but about leading by example.

September 23, 2011 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  14. Joel3

As a believer, and one who prays daily and believes whole heartedly in the offering up of prayer, I do NOT believe it can or should be used as a political tool to sway one's opinion or vote in one direction or another. A REAL Christian is focused on advancing God's kingdom and sharing the truth. We should not be concerned with what people, or any group of people, think of us. Even if those people happen to call themselves "conservative" whatever that means. And if any Christian decides to run for office, put your ideas and beliefs on the table, just don't shove them in folks' faces for "brownie points." Be real to yourself, your nation, and your God, and THEN He may just ANSWER your prayers. Personally, I will be voting for Barack in 2012. And guess what? he doesn't have to "remind me" that he's a Christian every 5 minutes. Understand my point?

September 23, 2011 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  15. Ex Republican in Texas

Perry prays for rain and we get fire.

President Obama visited Austin on May 10, 2011, and it rained.

(Don't believe me, check the weather archives at Statesman.com)

September 23, 2011 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  16. Mark

Ironic, he says pray, but what he's doing is prey...on the simple minded right wingers. The group that will follow him regardless of what an idiot he's proved himself to be. Brought to you by the crack pots who gave you 8 yrs of George Jr.

September 23, 2011 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  17. atypical

stop with the prayer stuff already. . the god you pray to is contrived, an illusion designed from the beginning of time to keep people scared, uneasy and easy to manipulate, and totally unaware of their own divinity and empowerment.

no one is coming. get it? NO ONE IS COMING. the change we seek, that we are in dire need of, has to come from within each and every one of us. . .one person at a time.

to transparency, expansion, equality, truth and oneness. perhaps if we focus more on these concepts instead of praying to some illusion, we might actually make some meaningful changes.

September 23, 2011 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  18. Marry

Rick Perry does it again – he totally misrepresents how religion and government should stand to each other and what is important for you and this country! This arrogant man talking about “humble” and “bold” is an insult. When talking about “wisdom” and “open eyes” he should ask the people to prey for himself because the Lord gave President Obama all the gifts of intellect, honesty, character, manners, strength, and good will that someone like Perry can only dream of! Since Perry does not know the meaning of these words, he would not even know what to prey for! You do not have to pray to know what to vote for in 2012 – just use your God given brain and inform yourselves, and vote responsibly! To vote for the GOP/TP with their candidates of serving only the top 2% of the country (best presidential candidates money can buy!) and trying to fool you to vote against your own interests, is irresponsible!

September 23, 2011 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  19. Tom in VA

Perry continues to show that he is as far from being Christ-like as anyone can be. Is he deluded or simply incapable of self-reflection? More likely... simple pandering to a base that will blindly follow anyone invoking God's name.

September 23, 2011 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  20. Senor Ed

I pray that this yahoo gets nowhere near the White House.

September 23, 2011 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  21. Boytjie

Well, maybe Obama's eyes are open and Perry's aren't.

September 23, 2011 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  22. Kay

The GOP should nominate Romney. He won't beat Obama either, but it wouldn't be the sort of Obama landslide that would bury Perry.

September 23, 2011 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  23. SuperD

I think what Perry is saying is for Obama to find God. Not sure if the President is really a Christian, I doubt it.

September 23, 2011 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  24. bertha59

I agree with an agnostic...keep religion out of politics. My own opinion about this Perry guy...he is way out there in la-la land. Has he not heard about separation of church and state? I also question why the Christian right extremists insist that only a person of Christianity is qualifed for the position of President of the United States.

September 23, 2011 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  25. JOE

Right Mr. Perry. And Sarah Palin discovered America.

September 23, 2011 09:51 am at 9:51 am |