Perry tells social conservatives to pray for Obama
September 22nd, 2011

Perry tells social conservatives to pray for Obama

Orlando, Florida (CNN) - Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Thursday asked an audience of social conservatives in Florida to pray for President Barack Obama.

"As I campaign for president, I not only ask you for your vote and your support, I ask you for your prayers," Perry said. "I ask you to pray for our country. I ask you to pray for our president to give him wisdom, to open his eyes."

Perry was addressing a rally organized by the conservative Faith and Freedom Coalition ahead of Thursday night's GOP presidential debate in Orlando.

As he was deciding whether to run for president, Perry said prayer played a powerful role. The governor said he couldn't have entered the race "without being driven to my knees on many occasions."

Also see:

Issa endorses Romney

New ad targets GOP candidates over health care

Perry fights back on secession claim

Filed under: 2012 • Florida • President Obama • Rick Perry
  1. Matt

I bet people in Texas are praying that Perry gets elected President so they can get a Governor that has actual policies instead of just PRAYING for everything to go right.

September 23, 2011 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  2. Aaron

Great. As president, will you tell the citizens that their ills would be fixed by prayer as well? What happened to the separation of church and state? I think Bush prayed a lot and that apparently lead to two wars and economic meltdown. Not a great strategy.

September 23, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  3. Todd in DC

Now, now. Prayer works. The fire prayed for vast amounts of kindling and dry weather, and got it. Fire may be the devil's only friend, but Fire also is friends with God.

Maybe we should listen to fire more.

September 23, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  4. jdj

The Bible says to pray for our leaders.

September 23, 2011 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  5. scott

I pray that America see how really scary Mr. Perry is!!!!!

September 23, 2011 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  6. Bill from GA

The whole world should pray for the USA if any of these repugs becomes President, but if the next Pres is Perry, don't bother,it will be a hopeless cause.

September 23, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  7. JPX

Can you imagine a grown man telling people to pray to imaginary gods? Is this who we want as a president? I'll stick with science, Perry, rather than magic and make-believe. We've already had to Texans as president recently and look how that turned out. Perhaps it's time to stop "praying" and get down to "doing".

September 23, 2011 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  8. ThinkAgain

Parry prayed for rain and got the longest 11-month drought in Texas since 1895, along with the worst fire season in who knows how long ...

If anyone needs to "find God," it's Parry because I think God's hiding from him ...

September 23, 2011 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  9. sonny chapman

Take the beam out of your own eye before worrying about the speck in your neighbor's eye.

September 23, 2011 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  10. New Age Independent

To: "a little sad", who said: "This man gets more offenisive every time he talks."

Saying a prayer is offensive? Really? I'm sure he has a prayer for you too. I'd take it if I were you, it sounds like you need it desperately. People need to stop believing the messages of hate and fear from the extremists in their party. I'll take prayers from Obama or Perry. The whole world needs a bit of prayer. And while I'm really not that religious and have doubts as to prayers really helping, it certainly cannot hurt. So please take your hate elsewhere, while the rest of us pray for you.

September 23, 2011 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  11. KO

If Perry or any of these Republican nitwits gets elected we'll all need lots of prayer.

September 23, 2011 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  12. Keith

The last time the US voted in some guy who prayed to the only true God – you guys invaded Iraq. Fun times ahead... you betcha!~

September 23, 2011 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  13. what's up

Obama sat in Rev Wright church of Racism for twenty years. Pray ain't going to help Obama, the incompetent bigot.

September 23, 2011 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  14. rick

This is a party that has taken funding away from education, making it difficult for kids to get an education. Taking away funds from higher education. They don't want an educated people in the USA. They will take away Social Security and Medicare, they talk about changes in both of them, But the Republicans will stop them. They will defund the EPA, FAA, and other agencies that protect the people of this nation. They will take away all regulations from businesses, oil companies, allowing them to pollute this country. They are doing this in the name of creating jobs. They have not created any jobs so far. So vote smart in 2012. You may vote for your destruction.

September 23, 2011 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  15. Awww

I am sure Perry also prayed that his bribing rate increases ASAP to more than $5000.

September 23, 2011 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  16. P.G

What a complete phoney.

September 23, 2011 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  17. wake up America

He better start praying for his self !

September 23, 2011 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  18. Zeibodique

Prayer? You've got to be joking. If prayer actually worked, there would be peace all over the world. Instead, this it is turning into one of the most over used lines ever devised. If you're going to attempt a suggestion fix to a problem, this is far from one. Try something more concrete, like an ORIGINAL IDEA.

September 23, 2011 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  19. P.G

Rick, you forgot to squint and raise your hands up.

September 23, 2011 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  20. BigDog

May as well call in the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus for their help as well.

September 23, 2011 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  21. FactCheck

Sounds awfully similar to the speech that the Ayotollah Khomeini before he became the Supreme leader of the Islamic Republic of Iran.

September 23, 2011 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  22. IVOTE

After last nights debate Perry is the one who needs prayer. Romney has him on the ropes.

September 23, 2011 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  23. mg

Using "prayer" to deliver a political dig at your opponent. The man has no shame. I don't like Barak Obama the President. I don't think he has done a good job. I think he's weak and too willing to cave into his opponents. But the idea of Perry being president scares the hell out of me. This guy is a demagogue of the very worst kind.

September 23, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  24. cecilia

perry and all the rest of these faux christians are crazy – save your prayers buddy. We liberal progressive democrats will do just fine praying for President Obama – God knows us by name – he recognizes us because we are doing what He asked us to do – care for our brothers and sisters, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, provide shelter for those without and care for the sick and elderly – but hey, you go right ahead and pray ok – I would start by asking for forgiveness for all those people you killed by lethal injection – man you really make me have to turn the other check

September 23, 2011 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  25. laura from willis

Dear Mr. Perry, I would be afraid to ask God for ANYTHING that you are suggesting! I live here in the State, that you so sadly represent and govern???. You claim to be PRO-LIFE, and yet, you pride yourself in how many executions you are adding to your belt! Our President is a good man and prayers are needed for you, in many walks of your life. It's pathetic to see a grown man so very angry, despicable and being such a bragging BULLY. Get your head out of the sand, Gov., and get some help!

September 23, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |