Perry tells social conservatives to pray for Obama
September 22nd, 2011

Perry tells social conservatives to pray for Obama

Orlando, Florida (CNN) - Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Thursday asked an audience of social conservatives in Florida to pray for President Barack Obama.

"As I campaign for president, I not only ask you for your vote and your support, I ask you for your prayers," Perry said. "I ask you to pray for our country. I ask you to pray for our president to give him wisdom, to open his eyes."

Perry was addressing a rally organized by the conservative Faith and Freedom Coalition ahead of Thursday night's GOP presidential debate in Orlando.

As he was deciding whether to run for president, Perry said prayer played a powerful role. The governor said he couldn't have entered the race "without being driven to my knees on many occasions."

Also see:

Issa endorses Romney

New ad targets GOP candidates over health care

Perry fights back on secession claim

Filed under: 2012 • Florida • President Obama • Rick Perry
  1. marty

Rick is speaking from the wrong pulpit. He should get on with his life's work.

September 23, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  2. Walker

I live in Texas, Perry is a nightmare. He knows nothing of separation of church and state (not to mention how he bad mouths the Fed yet goes to them when he needs them and suggested in the past TX should secede which is treason if you ask me). Time to kick Perry out of the Prez bid and Texas!

September 23, 2011 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  3. Jack

As a conservative and a Christian.

Mr. Perry, pray is for oneself to communicate, leave religion out of politicals

September 23, 2011 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  4. Jon

Are you really sure you want to ask for Mr. Obama to receive wisdom, Mr. Perry? Are you so entirely sure that such wisdom would lead him to *your* path?

September 23, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  5. abby

Gov. Perry, God here. The voice in your head is not me. Take your meds.

September 23, 2011 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  6. Mick

Obama needs all the prayer he can get even from people that abhor his policies. I think most are just praying he does okay until he can be replaced and can go back to praying full time with Rev. Wright again – that beacon of light.

September 23, 2011 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  7. Levin

If Obama needs a prayer, he won't get it from Perry. He doesn't have one.

September 23, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  8. GeorgeBos95

I am so tired of politicians invoking religion ... and "divine guidance" taht helped lead them to run.

What a load of crap. If he's hearing voices or seeing signs, he's too delusional to even consider running.

September 23, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  9. a hippy with a job

Ya, soon we will find out other reasons he has been "driven to his knees"

September 23, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  10. indyreader

What a snide, condescending git Perry is.
    On the other hand, though this will certainly sound snide and condescending, if it will get a significant proportion of the social regressives to shut up, thinking that they've somehow contributed to the cause by mouthing wishes, then let them have at it. It's pragmatically better than their continually dragging the debate down and refusing to compromise in order to get things done for *every* American.

September 23, 2011 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  11. calvin

We all need prayer! Yes our country, president, senators, congressman(women), candidates and our entire world stand in need of Prayer. God Help Us all!!! He is the One and Only one that can Help Us!!

September 23, 2011 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  12. Inrealityhere

@Not all Docs Playing Golf and the many others that are misled – for starters read this, "1779 Fast Day Proclamation" and then do your own search for truth regarding what our Founding Fathers intended.
    Look at the original documents before you make your statements based on hearsay.

September 23, 2011 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  13. jon

Pulleeeeese! Not this guy.

September 23, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  14. carly

We all need to pray that no one like Perry is elected.

September 23, 2011 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  15. Tim

If prayer really worked, oh Mr. Goodhair, everyone on the planet would be doing it.

September 23, 2011 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  16. ted

I used to call my self a Christian. But when these self righteous right wing lunatics hijacked Christianity for selfish political reasons, I no longer call myself a Christian. I still have deep religious beliefs, but keep them to myself. What this country needs to do is to pray very hard and consistently that these right wing fanatics like Perry do not come into power as they will strip us of our rights and privileges and it will lead to anarchy. I do not subscribe to what has happened in the Republic of Texas.

North country Yankee

September 23, 2011 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  17. Sparko

We should pray for wisdom for all our leaders but of course Parry is implying something a bit more sinister is afoot with our President. I wonder if Gov. Parry has considered by God is "punishing" Texas with among other things this drought and the wildfires. (Where is Pat Robertson and LImbaugh on THESE disasters????). Perhaps the good gov. should concentrate on what HE is doing that God is not pleased with instead of implying President Obama is walking an evil path.....Hey Parry-you might want to start with considering the fact that your state is the execution capitol of the US and that God may not be so pleased with you assuming his duties and the ultimate judge........

September 23, 2011 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  18. Charlie from the North

Way to out do GW Bush. I pray that this bozo doesn't get elected.

September 23, 2011 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  19. Inrealityhere

1779 Proclamation for Day of Fasting- for those who want to know the truth about our Founding Fathers. Research the original documents if you REALLY want to know the truth.

September 23, 2011 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  20. marlene

I agree Obama needs our prayers , but we all need prayer as for Perry he needs to pluck out the beam from his own eye and asking God to give him some wisdom in which he is lacking

September 23, 2011 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  21. ART

Every Christmas I pray to Santa and at easter I pray to the easter bunny.

September 23, 2011 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  22. JW

Pray that God will open Obama's eyes? Oh wow. So I guess Perry, with his worldly wealth, goods, and power, his lack of compassion for his fellow man, his narrow-minded view of the world, thinks that his eyes are open? Blind leaders of the blind, modern pharisees.

September 23, 2011 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  23. lynn

Wow, if ths man is a true man of God,that's a good thing to pray for President Obama, if he was praying for nothing harmful, if it was, the bible says he will revise the pray to go against the one praying harm or deceit. I think it comes to Perry and God..!

September 23, 2011 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  24. an agnostic

The more the right push their faith on to others the further I get from voting for a Republican. Just before the 2008 elections Elizabeth Dole likened the non-religious to second class citizens. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me and I've voted against all Republicans since. Sure, there are a few out their that I can stomach such as Scott Brown. But non- that I actually get to vote for.

September 23, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  25. Palin Power

Perry will never be President because he will get PWNED by Sarah Palin. Palin will be our next and greatest President ever.

September 23, 2011 11:43 am at 11:43 am |