Biden, Axelrod condemn booing moment at GOP debate
September 27th, 2011

Biden, Axelrod condemn booing moment at GOP debate

(CNN) - A moment in last week's GOP presidential debate – in which some members of the audience could be heard openly booing a gay solider – was harshly criticized by prominent Democrats Tuesday.

Vice Pres. Joe Biden, speaking on ABC's "The View," said the audience response was "reprehensible."

"I did have a visceral response," Biden said of the moment he heard the booing. "I'm not sure it's because my son spent a year in Iraq, and I know my son and all kids with him. I don't think they give a damn whether the guy firing the rifle to protect them is gay or straight. I don't think they care about. Now, look, this kid risked his life, this kid was there for a year – and I quite frankly, I thought it was reprehensible."

Meanwhile, at a campaign event in New Hampshire, senior Obama campaign adviser David Axelrod slammed the Republican candidates for not condemning the booing as it happened.

"Not one person on that platform, not one candidate, was willing to say 'Don't do that,' was willing to say 'It's inappropriate to boo someone who is risking his life for our country'," Axelrod said.

After the debate, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum said he hadn't heard the booing when the question was asked. Santorum was being asked the question when the incident occurred.

"I condemn the people who booed that gay soldier," Santorum said on Fox News the day after the debate. "Certainly had I heard them, I would have said, 'Don't do that. This man is serving our country and we are to thank him for his service'."

-CNN's Abby Livingston contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • David Axelrod • Joe Biden
  1. Four and The Door

So maybe 2 out of 1,000 people there were not thinking about what they were doing. You saw no candidate support that isolated and unacceptable behavior. Besides, the Republican Party has always been the first to stand-up, support and show respect for our military men and women. This is well established.

September 27, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  2. c'mon america

Its amazing how people willingly display thier ignorance . One can easily tell who is legitamately informed and who is simply getting their info from t. v. Even more amazing is they dont realize how transparent their ignorance is , they dont even know what they've written is stupid !

September 27, 2011 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  3. jamison

The REPUBLICANS that did this HAVE NO SHAME. They are a classless bunch of white trash. Let them go back and read their bible as they hold up their virtues for all to see what a bunch of asses they truly are. They only read or obey the parts of the bible that suit them. Kind of like the Taliban who have subverted the islamic religion. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU WORTHLESS PIGS.

September 27, 2011 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  4. iTALIAN NONNO

@ SNIFFIT
    I agree with you 100%,.. hit them with your best shot,.. fire away.

September 27, 2011 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  5. Gary, Hunt Valley, Md.

SHHHHHHHHHH....the Republican clowns.....I mean, candidates.....are trying to pray hard that the economy stays stalled for another 6-8 months. Obama will win with the slogan "I'm the only grown-up in this fight."

September 27, 2011 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  6. ArmyCSM

The very same people that screamed "let him die" at the last debacle. The very same crowd that laugh at "who is going to kill Obama", The very same crowd that offers nothing to this country but hate and pure hate. If you were in that crowd of thugs or if you are a part of that gang of thugs, I say this to you: You should be ashame of yourself and what you and that kind stand for. No, No, No o o! it's is NOT the American way I fought to maintain, No it is not. You are wrong, you are wrong because you do nothing to stop it, you are wrong because you act as if you didn't see or hear the hateful remarks.You are wrong, you may as well slapped the horse.

September 27, 2011 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  7. texas citizen

It is amazing to me that the party who's canidates whom claim to have been talked to personally by god don't seem to remember basic sunday school lessons

September 27, 2011 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  8. jacq

I rather server with a gay soldiers anyday then,someone from the tea party at least I want get shot in the back because of the color of my skin.

September 27, 2011 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  9. texas citizen

Its hard to belive that the party who's front runner gets political advice directly from god dosnt remember the basic sunday school lessons on how it what it means to be chritian

September 27, 2011 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  10. Gemini Girl

I agree with you, SNIFFIT, "type-his-name-in-Google-Santorium" DID hear when the crowd booed, but he pretended he didn't hear it so he didn't have to address it right there. If he had condemned the crowd, then they would have booed HIM! Therein lies the dilemma. He is one of the worst hypocrits. I still say he and Crazy-Perry will go down in flames. Actually, they will all fall, each in their own way...tick, tick, tick...Obama 2012, then Hillary in 2016.

September 27, 2011 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  11. rob

When you have nothing to offer the public to solve our problems, wait for a gotcha moment from a republican debate and sound off. Thanks CNN for the distraction but its too late for the Dems and president Obama, the American public sees through you for what you all are.

Nov, 2012 can't come fast enough

September 27, 2011 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  12. Charles

Biden, ha, what a Jackwagon ! The new " jobs" bill is nothing more then the Continuation of the failed 800bn dollar stimulus package these idiots said we needed immediately ! How do liberals believe that doing the same exact thing that failed the first time over again is going to work?? And how about that welfare healthcare program that is already costing more $$ and giving less care. Just another trick to make working people pay for the lazy!! Get to work America!! And Obama, stop spending my money and giving it to lazy people !!!!.......JACKWAGON!! Your gone in 2012 !!

September 27, 2011 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  13. delbre

2012: The Republican Party and the Tea Party are both OVER. Thank you for the entertainment.

September 27, 2011 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  14. kat

Some of you are complete Nuts! This administration is a total disgrace for the country. They are tearing it and us apart all for political gain. Other countries are laughing at our once great country and waiting for this clown to sink us so they can prevail. Wake up people. We have to take our country back.

September 28, 2011 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  15. Jack V

This shows that the GOP has been taken over by heartless monsters that are filled with hate & want to destroy the world.

September 28, 2011 06:46 am at 6:46 am |