Palin threatens lawsuit over book
September 27th, 2011

Palin threatens lawsuit over book

(CNN) - One week after the release of a controversial book on Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor threatened to sue the book's author for including what her lawyer called a "series of lies and rumors presented as fact."

The book, "The Rogue," by Joe McGinniss, has received widespread attention since McGinniss moved in next door to Palin to begin writing in 2010.

Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House and publisher of the book, stood by the title and McGinniss.

"We are confident that the reporting in THE ROGUE is solid, reliable, and well-substantiated," said spokesman Stuart Applebaum in an email on Wednesday.

Shortly before the book hit shelves last week, Palin's husband, Todd, lashed out at McGinniss, saying the author had been "relentlessly" stalking his family and filled the book with "lies, innuendo and smears."

In a letter sent to the book's publisher, Crown Publishing Group, Palin's lawyer said Monday both McGinniss and Crown knowingly published false information and "defamed the Palins."

McGinniss has staunchly defended the title.

"Believe me, I'm so sick of Sarah Palin right now, that after this couple (of) weeks is over, I hope to never hear her name again," McGinniss said last week on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight."

McGinniss said that he had originally set out to write a book about Alaska, when Palin was picked as the 2008 vice presidential running mate for Sen. John McCain

"That made her synonymous with Alaska," McGinniss said. "My book about Alaska became a book about Sarah Palin."

The book has received criticism from a number of news outlets, including The New York Times, which said the book "chases caustic, unsubstantiated gossip."

It has also been hit with harsh reviews over its use of anonymous sources for stories about Palin’s past.

But McGinniss stands by the book's accuracy.

"Sarah Palin has lived an outrageous life," McGinniss said on CNN's "American Morning" last week. "All I did was talk to people about it, and they documented it for me. When I was comfortable with the veracity of what I heard, I put it into the book. There were a lot of things that I wasn't comfortable with, that I didn't put them in."

– CNN's Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Christie speech adds fuel to presidential speculation

Perry's wife staunchly defends husband, warns against 'polished' GOP pres. candidates

First on CNN: NH activist endorses Perry

Filed under: Alaska • Joe McGinniss • Sarah Palin • Todd Palin
  1. Amazing

So, Sarah doesn't like it when someone spews lies and untruths about her. Now, she knows who we feel about the words coming out of her mouth.

September 27, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  2. Carol

Todd is lying. McGinnis did not stalk the Palin family. He was busy talking to other people and Palin never saw him!

September 27, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  3. Rosslaw

Does she understand that the moment she goes against the advice of her attorneys, assuming that they are not as utterly brain dead as Palin, and files a lawsuit, she is subject to cross-examination under oath in deposition? That will last for several hours if not days. And that she has to tell the truth, not just sometimes but the entire time? And that of course McGuinness is praying right now that she sues him for the invaluable publicity. Has she figured these things out in the middle of her "preparing" for her presidential run?

September 27, 2011 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  4. JayDeeT

When someone says they're sick of hearing about Sarah palin, I have no sympathy. She is a media creation - that's all she is, nothing more, nothing less! Essentially, she is a vapid, shallow, ignorant fool who has absolutely NOTHNG to offer this country, on any issue. Even writing a book about her is a waste of one's time and energy. Why bother? There will always be air-heads in this country who follow professional idiots like Palin.

September 27, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  5. John/kc

I thought republicans thought it was wrong to sue people and hated lawyers? When in the public arena, people write and talk about you and you must expect some of that publicity to be not at your liking. I am like the author though, I just cringe when I hear her and Bachman's names mentioned.

September 27, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  6. Greenspam

Notice that she only says "she will sue" but she won't really go to court. Just like "she may run"

September 27, 2011 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  7. Save the Rich, vote GOP

Please sue, just do not settle out of court, I want to hear testimony under oath.

September 27, 2011 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  8. Linton

And here I thought those republicants were against this kind of frivilous lawsuit....oh, that's right – when it is THEY who are suing, it's NEVER frivilous. Just ordinary people who've been wronged by the rich people – THEN it is frivilous.

Sarah is as transparent as Glad Wrap.

September 27, 2011 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  9. Chuck

Oh. Oh. The money bus tour may be over! time to go back to actually earning your money Sarah. Maybe you can run for local councilman? Do you think you can at least finish that term?

September 27, 2011 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  10. Wes

The general public should sue Sarah Palin for damages for having to look and listen to her way more than we wanted to. Go Away Sarah!

September 27, 2011 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  11. I Love George Bush

of course Sarah will sue, she has proved she isn't fond of working for a living

September 27, 2011 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  12. Anonymous

Go away Sarah, nobody likes you

September 27, 2011 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  13. Rock

You could do with a lot less talking and a lot more shut up

September 27, 2011 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  14. Paul1st

Go for it, Sarah! Let's have a protracted, very public legal battle where the trial goes through each point in the book and explores whether or not it is fact or fiction. This should provide content for the tabloids and cable talk shows for at least a year.

September 27, 2011 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  15. Dan in Atlanta

I'm surprised that Palin would sue over lies and rumor. However, if she needs an expert witness to testify about using lies and rumors, she can call herself to the stand!

September 27, 2011 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  16. edpeters101

Let me get this straight, Sarah "The Alaskan Dingbat", is going to sue somebody for doing what she does on a regular basis?
    A "series of lies and rumors presented as fact.", that are straight out of the GOP playbook! Now that's funny.....

September 27, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  17. Shane Botwin

Sue Sarah, sue! And while you've got your lawyer handy, go after Levi Johnston for saying you had cougar urges toward him. Like you did with the athlete, and your husband's coworker. And all those other guys.

You betcha!

September 27, 2011 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  18. Yevgeniy

I think she's in on it, because all she is really doing, is providing a free PR compaign for the book. Most people would never heard of the book if she had not made so much fuzz about it.

September 27, 2011 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  19. DEWAyne

You people amaze me. You spew this hateful rhetoric and insults at this person and her family why? Because she has different political and social beliefs than you? That makes her a "monstrosity".
    What is it with the hate filled liberal left. Does the right do this to you? NO. But because you don't agree with the fiscal and social policy of the right you spew this...Makes me think the right is actually...right.
    I'm tired of empty hate filled people on the left that have no moral compass, covet and blame all others for their problems. they dont care about "the people". you guys care about you own little seperate special interest and then flock together while Republican have an ideology not centered around special interest for themselves, but for this country and society. Spin it how you want, but there is one truth and then there is spin. You have the spin
    I wouldn't personally vote for Sarah Palin and agree that she is a pub hound, but her message for America is right.
    The responses here only validate that to me. Forgive them, they know not what they do.

September 27, 2011 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  20. AK_steve

I hate that Palin is associated with Alaska. Makes all of us up here look like shallow idiots. I heard she bought a house in Arizona. I hope she moves down there and never comes back.

September 27, 2011 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  21. Starman

She's not interesting, truth or fiction.

September 27, 2011 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  22. closetiguana

Why not simply take the guy's million dollar offer for a lie detector test? Seems much faster than court.

September 27, 2011 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  23. Be Sane

The time is near that Sarah will have to disclose whether she's running for President (ha ha).
    If there is a God in Heaven, she will then fade away (we know she isn't). Hope the money dries up for her. The money is the only reason she contiinues to push her way into the news cycle. It would be fun if she would sue, but not enough to be forced to hear about her longer. I am so sick of this trashy woman and her likewise trashy family. CNN, please do not report on her any longer, if you don't report on her she will be forced into obscurity.

September 27, 2011 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  24. wishing

She won't sue. That would put all of this on the nightly news. Rumor becomes fact on the nightly news.

September 27, 2011 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  25. AEK

Cool! Please sue, Sister Sarah. Then all the sources he quoted will be called into court to give PUBLIC testimony. You know, all the friends you used to get high with and all the other dirty politicians in Alaska you did your under-the-table deals with. Can't wait! I'd stay home from work to watch that little fiasco!

September 27, 2011 11:38 am at 11:38 am |