Palin threatens lawsuit over book
September 27th, 2011

Palin threatens lawsuit over book

(CNN) - One week after the release of a controversial book on Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor threatened to sue the book's author for including what her lawyer called a "series of lies and rumors presented as fact."

The book, "The Rogue," by Joe McGinniss, has received widespread attention since McGinniss moved in next door to Palin to begin writing in 2010.

Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House and publisher of the book, stood by the title and McGinniss.

"We are confident that the reporting in THE ROGUE is solid, reliable, and well-substantiated," said spokesman Stuart Applebaum in an email on Wednesday.

Shortly before the book hit shelves last week, Palin's husband, Todd, lashed out at McGinniss, saying the author had been "relentlessly" stalking his family and filled the book with "lies, innuendo and smears."

In a letter sent to the book's publisher, Crown Publishing Group, Palin's lawyer said Monday both McGinniss and Crown knowingly published false information and "defamed the Palins."

McGinniss has staunchly defended the title.

"Believe me, I'm so sick of Sarah Palin right now, that after this couple (of) weeks is over, I hope to never hear her name again," McGinniss said last week on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight."

McGinniss said that he had originally set out to write a book about Alaska, when Palin was picked as the 2008 vice presidential running mate for Sen. John McCain

"That made her synonymous with Alaska," McGinniss said. "My book about Alaska became a book about Sarah Palin."

The book has received criticism from a number of news outlets, including The New York Times, which said the book "chases caustic, unsubstantiated gossip."

It has also been hit with harsh reviews over its use of anonymous sources for stories about Palin’s past.

But McGinniss stands by the book's accuracy.

"Sarah Palin has lived an outrageous life," McGinniss said on CNN's "American Morning" last week. "All I did was talk to people about it, and they documented it for me. When I was comfortable with the veracity of what I heard, I put it into the book. There were a lot of things that I wasn't comfortable with, that I didn't put them in."

– CNN's Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Christie speech adds fuel to presidential speculation

Perry's wife staunchly defends husband, warns against 'polished' GOP pres. candidates

First on CNN: NH activist endorses Perry

Filed under: Alaska • Joe McGinniss • Sarah Palin • Todd Palin
  1. Latch

LOL now she'll travel by bus from town to town, telling people she hasn't made up her mind if she's going to sue or not. I've seen this movie before.

September 27, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  2. YeahRight

"threatened to sue the book's author".........That's not as scary as her "threatening" to run for president.

September 27, 2011 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  3. Paul

Fact is she should be sutured – gad, what a ditz – goes right along with bachman

September 27, 2011 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  4. Bob

I have nothing to say about a person who is a nothing!

September 27, 2011 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  5. JW

I'd love to see her actually sue. And be deposed. Along with her friends and family. Those transcripts would make for some fun reading, and the media would have a party. And lots of discovery.

September 27, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  6. TSW10

If this guy never wants to hear about Sarah Palin again, why write the book? He's benefitting over this much more than they are, he's going on talk shows and getting money. I'm no Palin lover–believe me (although she is hot) but the Palins SHOULD sue, and SHOULD get money off of this guy. McG has always seemed like a scumbag to me.

September 27, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  7. demogal

Oh, Sarah. Perhaps you should talk to O'Reilly about what happened when he and Fox News tried to sue Al Frankin about his book, "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them." They were (literally) laughed out of court, and given a stern reprove by the judge! Plus they were responsible for boosting sales of his book to the point that Frankin changed the dedication in his second version–from dedicated to this wife, Frannie, to dedicated to Bill O'Reilly.

September 27, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  8. E Sutter

Please let's leave Sarah Palin alone! I really hope and pray she gets to run as the republican presidential candidate. She is the only hope we have for President Obama to win again and continue his presidency. With this book, I fear she will have no chance to be a candidate and probably have a Republican in the White House (shudders). Joe McGinniss has destroyed America's future!

September 27, 2011 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  9. Liberal in Wyoming

Palin, as usual, is all bluff. She won't sue and if she does, she won't win. I am sure that what is in this book is true. The Palin's, especially Sarah, live for revenge. I am halfway through this book and while I knew what a low-life she is, I still find it appalling to read about the things she has done and the way she has treated people. Even her own family doesn't have anything nice to say. She is all washed up.....finally!!

September 27, 2011 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  10. Andulamb

Sarah Palin has made a career out of being a victim. She's the world's biggest crybaby.

September 27, 2011 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  11. Observer

Of course it contains "lies, innuendo and smears". It quotes Palin.

September 27, 2011 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  12. clarke

all abt money, both of them.

September 27, 2011 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  13. Democrats are the Terrorist Sympathizers

I'm no apologist, in fact, I'm a Libertarian. I just don't like people meddling in other peoples' lives the way these "authors"/paparazzi do. I could go move in next to Joe Biden or John Boehner and write a controversial book about them, make millions, and never have to work again. The thing is: I have principles that prevent me from toying with the lives of people and families. I HATE Sarah Palin, but I respect her right to have a private life even though she's a public figure. Bill Clinton deserved the same.

September 27, 2011 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  14. GOP = Greed Over People

"So the gist I'm getting from some of the comments already posted is that Gov. Palin has no right to sue over a book, that was even panned by the New York Times and almost certainly contains outright lies about her and her family'

Au contraire Boyo, we WANT DESPERATELY for missy to sue and have to prove the "lies" are NOT true. That would be a circus sideshow without comparison. Some of the incidents that did not make the book, may make the court and they would be under oath.

This would be the final chapter in this very sorry book of 'How Ya' Gonna' Keep Sister Sarah in an Alaska Airstream After She has Been to the Lower 48'!

September 27, 2011 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  15. Mike

That's just another way to keep her name in the media. Besides, many of her so-called have been proven false. Maybe she should be sued?

September 27, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  16. Anti-Zealot

If this goes to court Palin will be humiliated with the truth of her promiscuity. I have no problem with people having fun sex, but don't lie about it. Conservatives think sex is evil, typical American Christian who live without being diagnosed with personality defects.

September 27, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  17. Aeromechanic

Wait a minute! Wasn't that twit Palin clamoring on about frivilous lawsuits occuring in the medical industry when she was running for VP?

Listen up dummy! This is a book. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple. When somone wants to sue over something like this, it makes you think that they have something to hide, they don't want the truth out there.

September 27, 2011 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  18. Ed

Oh grow up! You have no business running for office. Personally I think you are an awfully dumb person. You are using your cow utters to get attention from men. That is the only way you became popular. You probably spent most of your time in high school on your back. Get a life Sarah baby and quit being a bully.

September 27, 2011 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  19. Saul

SouthTexas summed it up best at the Dailybeast website regarding the Sarah Palin problem.

"Palin Haters …now that is a catchy phrase.

What constitutes a Palin Hater? Is that someone who generally disagrees with her ignorant, vitriolic, divisive, Dominionist, hate speak? Or, is that just people who try to swindle others out of money by writing lies about her the way she swindles people out of money by telling lies about those she disagrees with?"

September 27, 2011 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  20. Jillequi Mystere

I love articles like this where all the crazy liberals can spit out the same example-free reasons why Palin is "bad".

September 27, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  21. Palin Power

BEHOLD our next and greatest President Sarah Palin. She will win this lawsuit over this blasphemous book and have it completely pulled off the shelves. Nobody crosses Palin without feeling the Wrath and Fury of God herself. Palin is on her inevitable rise and ascension to the throne of the White House.

September 27, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  22. LV

$arah Palin is going to be a trivial pursuit answer of my son's generation. As for presenting X as Y, she should know all about that.

September 27, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  23. matrix09

Uho Shara, what if he has pictures?

September 27, 2011 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  24. Tillie in Texas

"lies, innuendo and smears."
    "chases caustic, unsubstantiated gossip."

Gee, I wonder who else is affected by such crap on a daily basis? Oh Yea, President Obama. By $arah Palin herself.

Hey, $arah, if ya wanna play with the Big Boys, ya gotta be able to handle all the negative publicity without throwing a childish hissy fit. It makes you look weak.

So, quit yer whining. There is no whining in my house or in politics. If you can't handle it, just go away. It's that simple. And think of all the money you'll save on lawsuits.

Karma. I just love it.

September 27, 2011 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  25. alan

Maybe she is upset because the book is out-selling hers, and Walmart & Amazon didn't have to give it away. Just sayin!

September 27, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |