Palin threatens lawsuit over book
September 27th, 2011

Palin threatens lawsuit over book

(CNN) - One week after the release of a controversial book on Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor threatened to sue the book's author for including what her lawyer called a "series of lies and rumors presented as fact."

The book, "The Rogue," by Joe McGinniss, has received widespread attention since McGinniss moved in next door to Palin to begin writing in 2010.

Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House and publisher of the book, stood by the title and McGinniss.

"We are confident that the reporting in THE ROGUE is solid, reliable, and well-substantiated," said spokesman Stuart Applebaum in an email on Wednesday.

Shortly before the book hit shelves last week, Palin's husband, Todd, lashed out at McGinniss, saying the author had been "relentlessly" stalking his family and filled the book with "lies, innuendo and smears."

In a letter sent to the book's publisher, Crown Publishing Group, Palin's lawyer said Monday both McGinniss and Crown knowingly published false information and "defamed the Palins."

McGinniss has staunchly defended the title.

"Believe me, I'm so sick of Sarah Palin right now, that after this couple (of) weeks is over, I hope to never hear her name again," McGinniss said last week on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight."

McGinniss said that he had originally set out to write a book about Alaska, when Palin was picked as the 2008 vice presidential running mate for Sen. John McCain

"That made her synonymous with Alaska," McGinniss said. "My book about Alaska became a book about Sarah Palin."

The book has received criticism from a number of news outlets, including The New York Times, which said the book "chases caustic, unsubstantiated gossip."

It has also been hit with harsh reviews over its use of anonymous sources for stories about Palin’s past.

But McGinniss stands by the book's accuracy.

"Sarah Palin has lived an outrageous life," McGinniss said on CNN's "American Morning" last week. "All I did was talk to people about it, and they documented it for me. When I was comfortable with the veracity of what I heard, I put it into the book. There were a lot of things that I wasn't comfortable with, that I didn't put them in."

– CNN's Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Christie speech adds fuel to presidential speculation

Perry's wife staunchly defends husband, warns against 'polished' GOP pres. candidates

First on CNN: NH activist endorses Perry

Filed under: Alaska • Joe McGinniss • Sarah Palin • Todd Palin
  1. DA

She is only threatening to sue, but she is not crazy doing so will make the writer have to come clean. I think he already said he has no problem with what he wrote. Therefore do you want him have his source spill it in court? LOL

September 27, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  2. JayV

How come none of you are mad at the author for cashing in?
    Isn't he guilty of everything your accusing her of?
    Your not jealous of her are you?
    Your probably all in the he-man women haters club...
    No wonder you didn't want Hillary...

September 27, 2011 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  3. Kimo

As my conservative friends would say: 1. Let's let the marketplace decide. If the book has no merit then people won't buy it. 2. We need tort reform to keep people from making frivolous lawsuits. Seriously, Palin is worried about lies and distortions?

September 27, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  4. Skunco

Sue Baby Sue!!

September 27, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  5. Republicans Are The American Taliban

Why doesn't she just pray the book away?

September 27, 2011 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  6. peter

"A series of lies and rumors represented as facts." Hmmm. Now, where have I seen that before? Does this mean that we can all sue Palin?

September 27, 2011 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  7. GimmeABreak

Palin..........the consummate victim.

September 27, 2011 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  8. davey

maybe Illinois should sue soetoro for quitting.

September 27, 2011 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  9. SmartPotato

How does she even know what's in it? She can't read.

September 27, 2011 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  10. condeleesa

Those DOLLAR SIGNS just keep shining through those glasses, eh, Sarah?? Seems like Sarah is always 'thinking" about IT!! First it is jumping into the Republican Candidate for President "pool"! Now it is jumping into the "law suit" pool!! TOO MUCH TIME TO THINK ABOUT IT!! But in reality . . . NOT ENOUGH TIME!! Are you sure you aren't related to Rick Perry???

September 27, 2011 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  11. manny

your all lefty idiots, if it was ur precious obama(nation) that was slander ud be callling for an ivestigation, idiot sheep all of u

September 27, 2011 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  12. ClydeTheSlyde

To me her reaction either indicates that Palin will not run for president, or that her handlers have no control over her.

September 27, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  13. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Keeping it Real wrote: The attack dogs of the Democrat party. This is what they do. It doesn't matter if they say the truth or not, it's their job to destroy the lives of people for money. Sounds more like the mafia than anything. How anyone can support this type of operation is beyond reason.

I guess you forgot about the Swift Boat Veterans and their lies. I guess you forgot about the "Death Panels". I guess you forgot about "Don't retreat! Reload!"

This is what happens when the chickens come home to roost. I hope you enjoy the crow that you and the other Sarah Supporters are now eating.

September 27, 2011 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  14. Robert

Sarah, don't go away mad, just go away.

September 27, 2011 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  15. hongli

The most shocking news that ever came through on CNN was Wolf Blitzer going to Florida to cover Sarah Palin during the RNC Governors' Convention. This was sometime back and from that day I hold doubts about WB. Sarah Palin will never win the "WHITE-HOUSE". She still to this day hasn't told the true story of Trig but who cares?

September 27, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  16. jim e. hendricks

That's rich coming from someone who supports tort reform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 27, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  17. henryknox

Go for it Sarah. If the book published lies then I hope she gets every bit of profit that the book makes. I feel this way about anyone that is attacked publicly. What kind of coward uses unnamed sources? Anyone worth his salt would at least give their name when they smear another person. If someone published lies about me I would absolutely sue them for slander and I think most people would also.

September 27, 2011 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  18. rockysfan

Really, palin? Sue? Kinda hard to sue when it's true. This author doesn't put in print what you didn't do or say or authorize honey. Please get over yourself. I'm only sorry he wrote the book because it gives you more time. I will however, spend good money to read dish on you!

September 27, 2011 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  19. BOHICA

Love the book. Can't stand that white trash sarah palin and her brood.

September 27, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  20. geckopelli

Prove it if you can Sarah.
    But I suspect you can't because you're a [I'll just go ahead and save time CENSORED]!!!!!

September 27, 2011 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  21. Emery

I'm surprised that she even knows what the term "lawsuit" or "sue" means. Guess what, Palin? NOBODY CARES. PLEASE fade away into obscurity. Had it not been for the idiocy of McCain's campaign, nobody would have ever known you existed in the first place. You're not running in 2012, so stop trying to make people think you are.

September 27, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  22. Jasie

If I were Palin, I would sue the author for every dime.

September 27, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  23. Ben Alcobra

You can say whatever you want in this country – but not about Sarah Palin. Good thing those complaints about frivolous lawsuits that take away our personal liberties don't apply to conservatives. Bad things should only be said about liberals, and if liberals sue, they're trying to take away our personal freedoms.

September 27, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  24. SeVeRheaD

great.....setting a good example Palin....don't like what someone says.....sue them. Let's all sue eachother.....AHHH I just burned myself on coffee and you didn't tell me it's hot....SUED.....I just ate some raw fish and got sick...SUED. Thats the American way....

September 27, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  25. Mike, Albany

How does it feel to be on the receiving end for a change, Sarah?

September 27, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |