Palin threatens lawsuit over book
September 27th, 2011

Palin threatens lawsuit over book

(CNN) - One week after the release of a controversial book on Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor threatened to sue the book's author for including what her lawyer called a "series of lies and rumors presented as fact."

The book, "The Rogue," by Joe McGinniss, has received widespread attention since McGinniss moved in next door to Palin to begin writing in 2010.

Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House and publisher of the book, stood by the title and McGinniss.

"We are confident that the reporting in THE ROGUE is solid, reliable, and well-substantiated," said spokesman Stuart Applebaum in an email on Wednesday.

Shortly before the book hit shelves last week, Palin's husband, Todd, lashed out at McGinniss, saying the author had been "relentlessly" stalking his family and filled the book with "lies, innuendo and smears."

In a letter sent to the book's publisher, Crown Publishing Group, Palin's lawyer said Monday both McGinniss and Crown knowingly published false information and "defamed the Palins."

McGinniss has staunchly defended the title.

"Believe me, I'm so sick of Sarah Palin right now, that after this couple (of) weeks is over, I hope to never hear her name again," McGinniss said last week on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight."

McGinniss said that he had originally set out to write a book about Alaska, when Palin was picked as the 2008 vice presidential running mate for Sen. John McCain

"That made her synonymous with Alaska," McGinniss said. "My book about Alaska became a book about Sarah Palin."

It has also been hit with harsh reviews over its use of anonymous sources for stories about Palin’s past.

But McGinniss stands by the book's accuracy.

"Sarah Palin has lived an outrageous life," McGinniss said on CNN's "American Morning" last week. "All I did was talk to people about it, and they documented it for me. When I was comfortable with the veracity of what I heard, I put it into the book. There were a lot of things that I wasn't comfortable with, that I didn't put them in."

– CNN's Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Christie speech adds fuel to presidential speculation

Perry's wife staunchly defends husband, warns against 'polished' GOP pres. candidates

First on CNN: NH activist endorses Perry

Filed under: Alaska • Joe McGinniss • Sarah Palin • Todd Palin
  1. Artifex

Palin, the professional perpetual victim, always beset by attacks and lies....and she will never, ever, stop a second to understand why (and neither will her followers).

September 27, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  2. starride

“The book has received criticism from a number of news outlets, including The New York Times, which said the book "chases caustic, unsubstantiated gossip."”

With a bad review from one of the most democratic newspapers in the country especially since the NY Times hates her, this book must be really bad and full of lies.

September 27, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  3. chavezinamerica

People have posted accusations that Sarah has published lies. I would sure like to see some examples posted here. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make it a lie.

September 27, 2011 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  4. Sanity

In her civics lesson this summer, Sarah Palin apparently skipped the part about Americans having free press/speech rights. As a public figure she needs to deal with it. If she pursues it in court it she will lose the case on it's merits. Politically she loses because she did not have a tough enough skin .. oh yeah and she should already know about the free speech thing ... or maybe she thinks it applies to only to "real Americans" ... LOL she is such a joke.

September 27, 2011 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  5. how dumb

its interesting because under the rules for freedom of speech she can't sue the author or publisher. She is in the public spotlight and well known throughout the country (unfortunately). This invalidates any legal action she could take as a result. If she was a nobody (hold on let me finish before you laugh) she could sue for defamation of name but when you are in the public spotlight for as long as her, anyone can say what they want and its free speech, so long as it doesn't fall into hate speech.

September 27, 2011 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  6. Sanity

September 27, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  7. dike

I thought she was in some sort of rehab did not know she was out...

September 27, 2011 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  8. Tree

Oh sister Sara be careful what you ask for................

September 27, 2011 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  9. Marry

"…series of lies and rumors presented as fact." "…lies, innuendo and smears."
    This sounds more like the everyday work description of Ms. Palin and the GOP/TP! And that, yes, is very upsetting! Too bad, we cannot sue her and them. However, we do have the fine and much more effective option not to vote for the GOP/TP. So just say to them what they always say to the President and the American people: “HE L L NO!” in 2012!

September 27, 2011 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  10. mjv

Don't get me wrong, I strongly dislike Palin, but this book McGinnis wrote is trash. It is nothing other than the National Enquirer with a hardcover. I wish it on no one, not even on my enemies, to have to defend themselves against this kind of published crap.

September 27, 2011 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  11. Paul

he he .. the truth hurts? One more confirmation Palin has no idea what freedom of speech is, or perhaps she does, but it does apply only to what she says ... Either way .. she will lose and not pay the lawyer. I were her lawyer, I'd quit now ... she used t it anyway.

September 27, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  12. janetlaw

"a series of lies and rumors presented as fact."
    Kinda like her speeches?

September 27, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  13. Mike

SUE, SUE, SUE, SUE!
    Oh man, this is like one of those threats little kids pull out on the playground!

Sarah, I have never asked you for anything: Please, please, please sue him. Then, after you get dismissed summary judgment with prejudice, let's air all of your dirty laundry on a reality TV court show playing by Alask-ercian rules, where you can't say anything mean, even if it's true, about Sarah Palin, but you can make up whatever lies you want about other people. EVIL-DOERS BEWARE!

September 27, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  14. Bob

I may be wrong, but it was my understanding from a law class I took, that public figures are immune from the right to sue for slander. By being a celebrity, they should assume that there will be rumors spread about them. It's part of the lifestyle.

September 27, 2011 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  15. Su

I have a question for the Palins: whatever happened to free speech?
    If the Palins are as vindictive as everyone says they are, karma will surely bite them in the butt.
    Please, Palins, go away and stay away. We are sick of you.

September 27, 2011 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  16. Mary

I would have to agree that since the allegations are gossip in the book and Joe McGinniss has already admitted he has no way to prove them, than a lawsuit would be a waste of time.

September 27, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  17. Jim in San Mateo

Let me get this straight. She is complaining that someone is talking about her, they way she talks about everyone she doesn't like? Isn't this the Pot calling the Kettle black? If you can't stand the heat Ms. Palin, you might want to think about getting out of the kitchen.

September 27, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  18. Buster Bloodvessel

I'd love to see her try to disprove this stuff in court, but it will never happen.

September 27, 2011 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  19. George

A person such as she can only go down down down.

September 27, 2011 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  20. Me

Anything to stretch that five minutes of fame. Maybe she should just go out and get a job?
    Job application: Why did you leave your last job? Response: I resigned to show that I am not a quitter. (duh)

September 27, 2011 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  21. redwine9991

I am buying the book. Sarah, the true is out, finally. If she sues more true will come out. Go ahead, Sarah, bury yourself!!!

September 27, 2011 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  22. Lolo

Her followers just don't understand the rules and Laws of America. Let them protect the idiot like they always do and she takes their money like always. I will truly be happy when she is out of the spotlight for good. If she has so much power or If dhe is the messiah like her followers think she is, why is she not running fo president? Why, because the good old boy network told her not to. I don't see any of them protesting against that now do we. They don't have enough power to go against that. Just do as they are told and shut up. I don't see Limbaugh, McConnell, Boehner, Cantor, McCain, Beck, O'Rielly, notl even Hannity pushing for her to run for president. All just a farce. They want to get in her pie hole though. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 27, 2011 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  23. Hennessy

So "Sarah" lashes out at Obama with nonsensical allegations "he pals around with terrorists". She comes out of no where with no track record. Ouits her job she was elected to do because she smelled a money trail. Travels around the country (or at least parts that buy her act) for some unknown reason (she will never run for president) to cash in but now can't take the heat. I suggest she go back home and stop asking for the attention.Oh and take Bristol with you please.

September 27, 2011 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  24. luvsthe blues

She threatens to sue. 'Threaten' is the operative word here. She will NEVER sue, because then she will have to have her life examined under a microscope and that she will never do, as there are many disgusting bugs under that rock. She has threatened to sue bloggers over the last 3 years, had her lawyer send them scary legal letters, and how many did she sue?? Zero! She's all talk and no action.

September 27, 2011 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  25. 5f6a

Remember, to prove libel, you have to prove malice. Damned hard.

September 27, 2011 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |