Palin threatens lawsuit over book
September 27th, 2011

Palin threatens lawsuit over book

(CNN) - One week after the release of a controversial book on Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor threatened to sue the book's author for including what her lawyer called a "series of lies and rumors presented as fact."

The book, "The Rogue," by Joe McGinniss, has received widespread attention since McGinniss moved in next door to Palin to begin writing in 2010.

Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House and publisher of the book, stood by the title and McGinniss.

"We are confident that the reporting in THE ROGUE is solid, reliable, and well-substantiated," said spokesman Stuart Applebaum in an email on Wednesday.

Shortly before the book hit shelves last week, Palin's husband, Todd, lashed out at McGinniss, saying the author had been "relentlessly" stalking his family and filled the book with "lies, innuendo and smears."

In a letter sent to the book's publisher, Crown Publishing Group, Palin's lawyer said Monday both McGinniss and Crown knowingly published false information and "defamed the Palins."

McGinniss has staunchly defended the title.

"Believe me, I'm so sick of Sarah Palin right now, that after this couple (of) weeks is over, I hope to never hear her name again," McGinniss said last week on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight."

McGinniss said that he had originally set out to write a book about Alaska, when Palin was picked as the 2008 vice presidential running mate for Sen. John McCain

"That made her synonymous with Alaska," McGinniss said. "My book about Alaska became a book about Sarah Palin."

The book has received criticism from a number of news outlets, including The New York Times, which said the book "chases caustic, unsubstantiated gossip."

It has also been hit with harsh reviews over its use of anonymous sources for stories about Palin’s past.

But McGinniss stands by the book's accuracy.

"Sarah Palin has lived an outrageous life," McGinniss said on CNN's "American Morning" last week. "All I did was talk to people about it, and they documented it for me. When I was comfortable with the veracity of what I heard, I put it into the book. There were a lot of things that I wasn't comfortable with, that I didn't put them in."

– CNN's Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Christie speech adds fuel to presidential speculation

Perry's wife staunchly defends husband, warns against 'polished' GOP pres. candidates

First on CNN: NH activist endorses Perry

Filed under: Alaska • Joe McGinniss • Sarah Palin • Todd Palin
  1. Call me stupid

This one f*#ked up mother of one f*#ked up family and now tha the rest of the Country is aware of her past she threatens to sue. She is an evil person who is filled with hate and I for one am gled that someone has exposed her.
    Even her family are staging events to grab the spotlight: I guess they will do anything to get out of Alaska.

September 27, 2011 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  2. mb2010a

I would come closer to believing the author than Sarah Palin...

September 27, 2011 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  3. Dennis

I didn't think that according to the Bible Christians were supposed to sue. Selective Christianity? Just like selective morals? How many uniformed people are still getting sucked in by this cult.

September 27, 2011 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  4. tor5

I love it. “Sarah Palin: Defender of Truth!”
    I just hope she runs for president. My dream candidate: A cross between Gilligan and Seka.

September 27, 2011 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  5. Saul

The book publisher is standing behind it per the Associated Press, "Crown Publishers spokesman Stuart Applebaum says the company is confident the reporting in Joe McGinniss' book is "solid, reliable, and well-substantiated." Applebaum says Crown stands behind McGinniss and the book."

September 27, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  6. Martin

She'll probably start a lawsuit, but then drop out halfway through ......

September 27, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  7. JohnRJ08

PALIN WILL NEVER SUE, just like she will NEVER RUN FOR PRESIDENT. She's a liar, trying to act indignant over a book that she knows is telling the truth about her. If she sued, even more dirt would come out about her and Todd. And they both know that.

September 27, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  8. Marc in Texas

Let's recall that, during the last Presidential election, one candidate showed the colossal lack of judgement that brought the Palin family to prominence, based upon a largely knee-jerk decision. Still sorry that we elected Obama? Not me – the country would be in far worse shape with McCain at the helm, and the record there is clear.

September 27, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  9. Brons

Palin is a pinhead..her looks got her where she is today..INTELLIGENT Americans have always seen right through her. She will never be smart enough to be presidential material...she,like Bachmann spout rhetoric without solution...her idiot daughter also jumped on the Palin gravy train and used her "celeb" status to get plastic surgery, a home in Phoenix all with barely a HS education...kinda sounds like the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

September 27, 2011 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  10. Rich

Keep your panties on Sarah it cost money to sue and brings out more dirt to share

September 27, 2011 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  11. Krys

"Lies and rumors presented as fact."

Perhaps the author should have informed the public that his statements were not intended to be factual. It works for politicians when they're making up information to support their causes on the Senate floor and none of them are held accountable for ANYTHING they do, so why should the rest of us be held to a higher standard? It's not like we needed a book selling lies about Palin, anyway. She sells plenty of those herself.

September 27, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  12. Strange1

McGinnis must be hitting very near to the truth with Princess Palin to get so worked up. Next she'll be holding special prayer meetings asking God to strike McGinnis deaf and dumb. What is so sad is that there are Tea Baggers that will show up at the prayer meeting.

September 27, 2011 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  13. pgibson

These people DEMAND that their 'version' of truth be represented.

How about a real version of a real woman as a real candidate. Yet none of these descriptions, sadly, seem to apply to Sarah Palin; she is neither real woman, nor a real candidate.

She is a circus sideshow on the way to the polls; McCain was going to do battle with her once upon a time, as ifffff.

They've gotten more elaborate over the years, the carnie types, yes.

And some of them actually believe they were more than a circus sideshow.

so sad.

September 27, 2011 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  14. Kareen

Go ahead sarah, file a lawsuit.
    McGinnis had more than one source and more dirt will fly about you.

September 27, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  15. tc

How funny. If anyone knows about "rumors and lies" it would be Palin. She is the expert at spreading them.

September 27, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  16. Stacey

Some one above called Sarah a liar for saying Obamma was friends with a terrorist. Well I say anyone who bombed the pentagon is a terrorist. And Obamma and he are close friends from Chicago, infact live in the same neighorhood and spent time together. So lying? I think not.

---------------------------
    LOL! Too funny. Obama was a 10 year old child when Ayres was in his hey day. This is about Sara the Idiot Palin, not Obama. I'm very glad this book was written about this sleazy woman and her trailer trash family. I've always said Sara Palin is a FRADU. Now I know I was right. Good job, Mr. McGinniss

September 27, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  17. NWJeff

Who read the book to her?

September 27, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  18. LLL

Funniest line: "series of lies and rumors presented as fact." LOL! That is the tea-party/repug mantra! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! Woohoo...thanks for the laugh of the day :)!

September 27, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  19. Lizzy10

The book sounds like a piece of trash, but then look at the subject. A lawsuit is only going to give all involved more publicity, so as a tired American I beg of the judicial system, Just Say No.

September 27, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  20. Clephas

Personally, I think he just scratched the surface of the abominable iceberg that is the incompetent administrator known as Sarah Palin. I'm glad someone finally thought to attack her bloated ego, even if it is such a way that it is being attacked by every critic in the country. At the same time... can you imagine what would happen if he revealed his sources? Palin is famous for lashing out at people in public, and there is no telling what she would do to ruin the lives of people that contributed information to a book exposing her dirty secrets. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if some of her followers 'spontaneously' lynched them...

September 27, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  21. realitybites

Karen

Hope she sets up a website where we can donate to help her out in the lawsuit.

September 27, 2011 10:49 am at 10:49 am |

Yeah, Karen. It will be the same on you've been sinking $$ into for awhile. Gotta keep your screechin leach paid.

September 27, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  22. KeninTexas

I don't particularly care for Sarah Palin, but I hope she hangs this guy. He is a classic a s s hole for stalking her just to publish a hatchet job book.

September 27, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  23. dude

Palin interested in financial gain??? I'm SHOCKED! SHOCKED I SAY!!!

September 27, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  24. Brad5013

Sarah Dear, thanks for the endorsement. I just picked up my copy of THE ROGUE, thanks all to you!

September 27, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  25. Barley

HaHaaHaaa!
    Behind Sara Pailn CNN made the picture say "Tarty Fes". Totally just like CNN to make this happen Sara Pailn is a Tarty Fes!!

September 27, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |