Palin threatens lawsuit over book
September 27th, 2011

Palin threatens lawsuit over book

(CNN) - One week after the release of a controversial book on Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor threatened to sue the book's author for including what her lawyer called a "series of lies and rumors presented as fact."

The book, "The Rogue," by Joe McGinniss, has received widespread attention since McGinniss moved in next door to Palin to begin writing in 2010.

Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House and publisher of the book, stood by the title and McGinniss.

"We are confident that the reporting in THE ROGUE is solid, reliable, and well-substantiated," said spokesman Stuart Applebaum in an email on Wednesday.

Shortly before the book hit shelves last week, Palin's husband, Todd, lashed out at McGinniss, saying the author had been "relentlessly" stalking his family and filled the book with "lies, innuendo and smears."

In a letter sent to the book's publisher, Crown Publishing Group, Palin's lawyer said Monday both McGinniss and Crown knowingly published false information and "defamed the Palins."

McGinniss has staunchly defended the title.

"Believe me, I'm so sick of Sarah Palin right now, that after this couple (of) weeks is over, I hope to never hear her name again," McGinniss said last week on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight."

McGinniss said that he had originally set out to write a book about Alaska, when Palin was picked as the 2008 vice presidential running mate for Sen. John McCain

"That made her synonymous with Alaska," McGinniss said. "My book about Alaska became a book about Sarah Palin."

It has also been hit with harsh reviews over its use of anonymous sources for stories about Palin’s past.

But McGinniss stands by the book's accuracy.

"Sarah Palin has lived an outrageous life," McGinniss said on CNN's "American Morning" last week. "All I did was talk to people about it, and they documented it for me. When I was comfortable with the veracity of what I heard, I put it into the book. There were a lot of things that I wasn't comfortable with, that I didn't put them in."

– CNN's Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Christie speech adds fuel to presidential speculation

Perry's wife staunchly defends husband, warns against 'polished' GOP pres. candidates

First on CNN: NH activist endorses Perry

Filed under: Alaska • Joe McGinniss • Sarah Palin • Todd Palin
  1. Marc

She won't sue. She just wants attention. If she sues, we'll all find out what is true and what isn't. Glen Rice will be called to court to provide indentifying marks. I'm sure that isn't where she wants this to go with it.

September 27, 2011 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  2. Jer

I wasn't going to read the book, but if Sarah Palin is that upset, I think I will have to buy a copy.

September 27, 2011 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  3. Lenmsith

She sure knows how to work the press and people to enrich herself. She is nothing but a greedy, self-centered and selfish woman.

September 27, 2011 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  4. Zil Zerimar

The Rogue, is the only thing true and factual about Sarah.

September 27, 2011 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  5. craig

That's rich. She's been presenting lies as facts ever since McCain discovered her and plopped her on the stage. Exactly where are those Death Panels?

Yeah, pot calling kettle here. Would be fun to laugh along in court.

September 27, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  6. sargeanton

well, I commented, but the censors decided they only wanted to post what libdems have to say to other libdems - evidently, that's necessary to keep them all fueld up with their vitriol.

September 27, 2011 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  7. SARAH LIKES EM BIG AND BLACK

Notice how she makes a threat to sue--instead of filing charges. She does not want to file charges, because more would come out then she cares to admit. This whole - I;m gonna file charges is an attempt to make the book out as lies. If they were truely lies-A law suit should have been filed already-no questions asked.

September 27, 2011 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  8. Gary

More lies and name-calling by the LOONEY LEFT and it's cohorts. The liberals, including CNN, will stop at nothing to smear someone they view as a threat. Many Americans are too stupid to see the LOONEY LEFT for what it truly is, rather, they follow like mind-numbed robots and do the bidding of the LYING LIBERALS!

LIBERAL ARE LIARS, CHEATS AND NEVER TO BE TRUSTED.

DEFEND FREEDOM; DEFEAT A DEMOC"RAT"!!

September 27, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  9. Bill

I do not like Sara Palin but she should sue the author of the book. I saw him interviewed and basically he published a bunch or hearsay, innuendos and gossip. This is just a cheap way to make money off her notoriety.

September 27, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  10. Master11

this world has been screwed up for a very long time and I dont hear anyone complaining about all the greed and scams that the Reagan administration started. the Bush administration had their hands in, dirty hands up to their elbows and you are looking and expecting President Obama to fix all of that mess, mess that began way before he was even old enough to vote. You need a scape goat and you have set your sights on a black man that was voted into office by people who are tired of the bologna and the lies and the stealing that has been going in politics for too long. How in the world do you expect a man that has been in office 3 years to fix all of the mess that was done in the dark for a very long time, Obama didnt start the war in Iraq, Afghanistan, or even Iran, Obama didnt allow our school system to blow up in our faces and cause the economy to fall, Obama didnt take away the jobs that we all lost, Obama did not allow these greedy doctors to keep on getting richer and profiting off of the unhealthy. Obama did not steal people's retirement money and not pay it back, Obama cannot fix all the problems that were created and you dont care if he does you just want someone to blame well what you need to do is look in the mirror, how about that

September 27, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  11. Dave

Sarah:
    Do u know what the defense lawyer will ask what you or maybe Glen Rice did on that trip?

September 27, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  12. Sarah Black and big

If someone lies about you in a book-You sue-you don't treat to sue. You threat to sue when the book is telling the truth-and you just want to make out that it is a lie. Sarah Palin===Guilty as charged!!!

September 27, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  13. Jorge

It only stands to reason that if McGinniss can substantiate what he wrote in the book about Palin, she, as a public figure, doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell in court. If, on the other hand, he went cuckoo writing stuff he can't prove, he's a nitwit who's brought his own troubles on himself.

September 27, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  14. David

I hope she does sue. Then we'll get Glenn Rice on the stand to testify how she is in the sack!

September 27, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  15. StMike

I think the book is great!!!! Even though I haven't read it!!! Wailin Failin fruit fly Palin deserves !!!!!!

September 27, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  16. CallMeCynicalBut

I smell Sweet Saint Sarah hoisting herself on her cross for cash again. It would be more effective if she wasn't screaming lies, hate and invective at anyone who dares disagree with her while she's hammering the nails and hoisting it up.

September 27, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  17. Jorge

Jon, lay off the mushrooms.

September 27, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  18. OU812IC

Gee Todd
    And how do you know everything in the book is made up lies, since many of the things happened while Sarah was nowhere near your company, are you saying they are lies because Sarah told you they were. Nice try just like Sarah told you she does not like black people and there is no way she would ever sleep with a black man, but guess what she DID. Is that a made up lie

September 27, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  19. redbanker

All I can say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. At least she has plenty of money from Fox and her other baloney to pay her lawyers, because she won't be winning any money from the other side.

September 27, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  20. Mike

So I guess it is ok to spread any lies or rumors you wish as long as your sources are "anonymous."
    If that is the case and you don't have to actually have proof behind anything you say then we are in a for a world of hurt.
    Not that I'm defending Palin but I'm certainly trashing this author for writing a book he claims is factual when it should be listed in the fiction section.

September 27, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  21. Bill

Sarah who ?

September 27, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  22. Sniffit

"“The book has received criticism from a number of news outlets, including The New York Times, which said the book "chases caustic, unsubstantiated gossip."”"

Someone please give us all a rational, coherent, cogent argument as to why a book about someone who constitutes a fountain of "caustic, unsubstantiated gossip" shouldn't itself be full of "caustic, unsubstantiated gossip."

Go ahead. We'll wait right here counting all the "death panels" that have cropped up since enactment of the ACA.

September 27, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  23. cecilia

I am not sure what we Americans did to be punished with Palin and family – maybe we hit a whole bus load of Nuns or something worse. But what ever it is – I am dreadfully sorry and I know others will join me. Now Lord, will you make her and her motley crew go away – I will even vote Republican ( that will hurt) I will give up my social security and make cuts to Medicare – just please make this go away

September 27, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  24. JoAnne

Sue baby, sue!

September 27, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  25. coder

Sarah Palin is america – everything about her – showcases what america is to the rest of the world.
    Uneducated, self-promoting hate monger, disregarding human rights, in total pursuit of greed and power.
    She is the poster child for what is wrong with the USA.

September 27, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |