Palin threatens lawsuit over book
September 27th, 2011

Palin threatens lawsuit over book

(CNN) - One week after the release of a controversial book on Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor threatened to sue the book's author for including what her lawyer called a "series of lies and rumors presented as fact."

The book, "The Rogue," by Joe McGinniss, has received widespread attention since McGinniss moved in next door to Palin to begin writing in 2010.

Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House and publisher of the book, stood by the title and McGinniss.

"We are confident that the reporting in THE ROGUE is solid, reliable, and well-substantiated," said spokesman Stuart Applebaum in an email on Wednesday.

Shortly before the book hit shelves last week, Palin's husband, Todd, lashed out at McGinniss, saying the author had been "relentlessly" stalking his family and filled the book with "lies, innuendo and smears."

In a letter sent to the book's publisher, Crown Publishing Group, Palin's lawyer said Monday both McGinniss and Crown knowingly published false information and "defamed the Palins."

McGinniss has staunchly defended the title.

"Believe me, I'm so sick of Sarah Palin right now, that after this couple (of) weeks is over, I hope to never hear her name again," McGinniss said last week on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight."

McGinniss said that he had originally set out to write a book about Alaska, when Palin was picked as the 2008 vice presidential running mate for Sen. John McCain

"That made her synonymous with Alaska," McGinniss said. "My book about Alaska became a book about Sarah Palin."

The book has received criticism from a number of news outlets, including The New York Times, which said the book "chases caustic, unsubstantiated gossip."

It has also been hit with harsh reviews over its use of anonymous sources for stories about Palin’s past.

But McGinniss stands by the book's accuracy.

"Sarah Palin has lived an outrageous life," McGinniss said on CNN's "American Morning" last week. "All I did was talk to people about it, and they documented it for me. When I was comfortable with the veracity of what I heard, I put it into the book. There were a lot of things that I wasn't comfortable with, that I didn't put them in."

– CNN's Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Christie speech adds fuel to presidential speculation

Perry's wife staunchly defends husband, warns against 'polished' GOP pres. candidates

First on CNN: NH activist endorses Perry

Filed under: Alaska • Joe McGinniss • Sarah Palin • Todd Palin
  1. Longsack the Clown

I think Ms. Palin is funny, when she talks it makes me laugh and I'm a clown. She talks of morals and family values, this from a woman that SATAN stops by to get pointers from.

September 27, 2011 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  2. Expat American

Palin is a bully – who at the end of the day is nothing more than a spineless coward. She is the perfect leader of the poor white trash slack jaw pointy hat Tea Party – and she is next GOP Nominee for President of the United States.

Again, thank you John McCain.

September 27, 2011 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  3. mahdeealoo

You can sue someone that just calls it like they see it? Harumph.

September 27, 2011 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  4. JOH

Good old America. If I could sue people about every lie and hurtful things people said to me or anyone else for that matter, this would be a pretty stupid country. Oh wait, it already is like that.

September 27, 2011 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  5. ronjon

Oh, I believe Joe McGinniss. He was writing a book about Alaska and just happened to rent next door to Palin. This man has all the integrity necessary to land himself a position in the Obama administration. You go Joe.

September 27, 2011 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  6. Sebastian

So sue him already. It's not like it's a major undertaking to file a lawsuit. Do you want me to front you the filing fee Sarah?

Stop talking trash and get busy.

September 27, 2011 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  7. Darth Vadik, CA

Notice how she likes to dish it out but never receive it....

...talk about a complete lack of character....

September 27, 2011 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  8. billy

Are you really sure to want to sue and have all your dirty laundry exposed to the entire public.If that happens Sarah you are finished for good so go ahead and sue .

September 27, 2011 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  9. Janet

She's a public figure. Of course books will be written. She's a clever (not intelligent), pretty, vapid Republican who is part of the Tea Party political arena and a handful of aging, fleshy white guys on Fox News think she's the greatest.

Books will be written. You ignore books Sarah. Why should this be the exception?

September 27, 2011 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  10. Bookenz

More publicity for this media leech. Will she and her family ever go away?

September 27, 2011 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  11. BCA

You can't be in the public eye and want no one to say anything bad about you, that's not how it works Mrs. Ditz.

September 27, 2011 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  12. scottf

TRUTH is a Defense Moron. Please just go away!! Maybe take Todd and go play in the traffic.

September 27, 2011 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  13. beth

Maybe the Palins have a deal with publishers to improve sales. Publicity is everything.

September 27, 2011 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  14. Jayce

You mean the QUEEN of tort reform and get lawyers and gov. out of your lives is running strait to a lawyer, O MY! SUPRISE SUPRISE

September 27, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  15. Mike

What goes around comes around, eh, Sarah?

September 27, 2011 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  16. Rae

I hope she does it and wins!!! And then I'll be the first in line to launch a class action law suit for her lies, falsehoods and character assasinations on her political foes. Be careful what you wish for Sarah.........you really seem to be able to dish it out, but boy do you get your knickers in a bunch when something is said about you. Geez

September 27, 2011 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  17. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Go ahead and sue, Sarah; just wait until you get to court and have to testify. But you go ahead and sue, Sarah, darling!

September 27, 2011 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  18. lcleejr

she should keep her mouth shut, take the millions she made conning her supporters and go away. we all know the one nighter with glen rice will never ever go away for her or her husband todd.

September 27, 2011 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  19. karen

Let's see.... Who to beleive? McGinnis or Palin? Well, McGinnis, by gosh, not only reads books, he writes them. And, Palin....uhhhh.....she......uhhhh.....has nice glasses? I think I'm going to have to go with McInnes.

September 27, 2011 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  20. bubbles36

Where's the headline that McGinness stands by his book as told to Palin's lawyer today.

September 27, 2011 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  21. Vince

I'm glad she's doing this. That puts the burden of proof on the author. I'd love him to prove everything he's put down in that book and flaunt it right out in the breeze for the whole world to see!

September 27, 2011 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  22. hongli

Can anything good happen to a woman who enjoys shooting down wild life for her entertainment ? I say not. No wonder little Trig came her way. At this time no-one has seen Trig's birth certificate so we we're still guessing ,is it Bristol or Sarah?

September 27, 2011 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  23. Keeping it Real

Joe from CT, not Lieberman

I guess you forgot about the Swift Boat Veterans and their lies. I guess you forgot about the "Death Panels". I guess you forgot about "Don't retreat! Reload!"

This is what happens when the chickens come home to roost. I hope you enjoy the crow that you and the other Sarah Supporters are now eating.

Sadly you cannot see the difference in some of your references. Swift Boat vets served WITH Kerry. The "Death Panels", a poor comparison, was a term used for the health care panels that the govt could determine if you were to receive care. A form of which was true. "Don't retreat! Reload! doesn't compare either. You're really struggling to defend a book which is based on hearsay for money. Don't misunderstand, Republicans are, and have been guilty of things such as this as well. I can admit it, but you don't seem to be able to get past your partisanship.

September 27, 2011 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  24. chris

ok. liberal morons. if something like this was written about you and you knew down to your bones it was false you'd sue as well. stop being so brainwashed you forget about common sense.

September 27, 2011 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  25. Lynne

@Founder – you have a very interesting definition of public service. According to you every welfare mother does public service every time that have another baby!

Anyone that gets married or holds any old job does public service!

I give you being Mayor. 2 yrs of Gov of Alaska...but then she became a big old quitter!!! LOST race for VP and her Restoring America trip is only about making money that doesn't count as a public service...unless you count putting money into your own back account "Public Service".

Public Service is doing work for the good of others with little regard for oneself. Police, firemen and women, teachers, mental health counselors, the people that are over worked and underpaid and way under appreciated at the unemployment office....those are true public servants....Not Birthing babies, marring your high school sweet heart and quitting on the voters of Alaska....that is full on BS.

September 27, 2011 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |