Palin threatens lawsuit over book
September 27th, 2011

Palin threatens lawsuit over book

(CNN) - One week after the release of a controversial book on Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor threatened to sue the book's author for including what her lawyer called a "series of lies and rumors presented as fact."

The book, "The Rogue," by Joe McGinniss, has received widespread attention since McGinniss moved in next door to Palin to begin writing in 2010.

Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House and publisher of the book, stood by the title and McGinniss.

"We are confident that the reporting in THE ROGUE is solid, reliable, and well-substantiated," said spokesman Stuart Applebaum in an email on Wednesday.

Shortly before the book hit shelves last week, Palin's husband, Todd, lashed out at McGinniss, saying the author had been "relentlessly" stalking his family and filled the book with "lies, innuendo and smears."

In a letter sent to the book's publisher, Crown Publishing Group, Palin's lawyer said Monday both McGinniss and Crown knowingly published false information and "defamed the Palins."

McGinniss has staunchly defended the title.

"Believe me, I'm so sick of Sarah Palin right now, that after this couple (of) weeks is over, I hope to never hear her name again," McGinniss said last week on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight."

McGinniss said that he had originally set out to write a book about Alaska, when Palin was picked as the 2008 vice presidential running mate for Sen. John McCain

"That made her synonymous with Alaska," McGinniss said. "My book about Alaska became a book about Sarah Palin."

The book has received criticism from a number of news outlets, including The New York Times, which said the book "chases caustic, unsubstantiated gossip."

It has also been hit with harsh reviews over its use of anonymous sources for stories about Palin’s past.

But McGinniss stands by the book's accuracy.

"Sarah Palin has lived an outrageous life," McGinniss said on CNN's "American Morning" last week. "All I did was talk to people about it, and they documented it for me. When I was comfortable with the veracity of what I heard, I put it into the book. There were a lot of things that I wasn't comfortable with, that I didn't put them in."

– CNN's Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Christie speech adds fuel to presidential speculation

Perry's wife staunchly defends husband, warns against 'polished' GOP pres. candidates

First on CNN: NH activist endorses Perry

Filed under: Alaska • Joe McGinniss • Sarah Palin • Todd Palin
  1. Richard

God, please sue!!! Those depositions and testimony under oath will be entertaining and enlightening to say the least. Suing is the guaranteed way to get the total anal probe of Sarah's entire life, in open court. If she thinks she can sue and then not talk, she's got another thing coming. There's no way she ever sues. Todd would be a disaster in depositions. Can you just see McGinness's lawyer saying "OK, Mr, Palin, now, let's talk about your cocaine use..." Bring it on Sarah! Sue, baby, sue!!!

September 27, 2011 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  2. works4me

Heh, heh, heh, she thinks while rubbing her hands together. Mine, mine.... all mine...ha , ha, ha, haaa.

September 27, 2011 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  3. M.K.

I thought the Repukelicans were against trial lawyers and taking folks to court for money. It's the same old do as I say, not as I do b/s.

September 27, 2011 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  4. bigwilliestyles

One thing for sure: no, I mean 0, comments from the right on the 'slept with a ni-uh, Black man issue. Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, all silent as a tomb. If this is true, she won't sue, even if every other syllable in the book is a provable lie, it just tears at the soul of the Tea Party mind set, and would expose them for what they really are: racist whites who refuse to accept that a Black person is their President. So Sarah don't THREATEN to sue, SUE! If the book is a lie, SUE. I'm betting you won't.

September 27, 2011 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  5. DaMeglet

She lies about her rivals all the time. Can't beat/outwit them legitimately? Well then they weren't born here and are thus disqualified. Ms. Palin, I suggest you stop dishing it out if you can't take it. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get off this computer and put some water in your momma's dish...

September 27, 2011 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  6. Lenny

I seriously hope she contests and wins the election. I can imagine me having her on all fours for the next 4 years!

September 27, 2011 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  7. Daniela

I'm not a fan of Palin (at all), but there is no reason for a book to be out there with personal information in it like this (true or not true). We preach to not have our children bullying other children...adults need to follow the same lead. And for all of you persecutors out there, please spend your time building someone up rather than tearing them down. Your negative energy that is wasted on this is just terrible.

September 27, 2011 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  8. arizonamom

That's what happens when you toss a bummerang Sarah – it comes right back atcha!

September 27, 2011 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  9. Jethro Bodine

She's just upset that the author left out her history as a pole dancer.

September 27, 2011 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  10. Argle Bargle

Awww, poor Sarah. She picked the spotlight, now she has to deal with the cracks in her veneer it reveals.

That's what she gets for wanting to be the Paris Hilton of politics.

September 27, 2011 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  11. Andacar

She’s bent out of shape over a book? No wonder she’s playing the coy game about being president. When you take any high office you’d better be prepared for the cruelest, most spiteful and patently unfair attacks you can imagine. Half the country will hate you no matter what you do or what your positions are. Most candidates at least dimly comprehend this basic fact. There’s no way she will take a job that isn’t stage managed, where she has to speak spontaneously to contrary or hateful opponents, deal with foreign diplomats, and make decisions that affect somebody besides herself. Her towering, primping narcissism should be evident to anybody except her fanatical sycophants.

September 27, 2011 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  12. Reggie from LA

Look, she lied about the bridge to nowhere. She was behind the Gifford's crosshairs. She lied about Obama's healthcare plan. She trashed her mother in-laws political run. She did initiate Troopergate. Then she has painted herself as most wholesome when on the snake oil circuit; using circuitous rhetoric, by the way. Then she makes a movie about herself showing herself as flawless. YOU IDIOTS DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHO SHE WAS when they slapped her up on the campaign stage. "We love you Sarah". No one knew her. Don't lie. Even McCain didn't know her. Yet we say we know her well enough to know that she is or was not capable of things in the book. Did you do the research McGinniss did or do you stiff necks just feel it in your bones?

September 27, 2011 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  13. logic in LA

If Sarah "can't stand the heat- she should get out of the kitchen". "Those in glass houses...." "I know you are but what am I"
    All sorts of stupid phrases come to mind over this.

September 27, 2011 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  14. Dywlf

I see the usual suspects of liberals, gays, ethnics, and neer do wells are once again gathering for a Sarah Palin bashing. Tell me, why are you so skeered of the white girl?

September 27, 2011 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  15. Angy

she can lie, cheat and dog others, but when her famous "crosshairs" are put on her she can't take the heat. typical teabagger/rethug. she must be out of money and ready to sue anybody that says anything about her and her lap dog todd. suck it up loser.

September 27, 2011 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  16. Chrisg

Hey Sarah, how's that crosshairey thing workin out for ya. You will always and forever be linked to the shooting of Gabby Giffords. You think you can spew your lies and hate and not have it come back and bit you in the ****.. THAT'S KARMA FOR YOU!!!

September 27, 2011 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  17. dlskdjf

When she was calling Obama a kenyan muslilm terrorist creating death panels, Obama never threatened or even acknowledged her existance.

I thought she admired people who tell it like it is?

September 27, 2011 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  18. Nash

I really hope that Palin sues the author. I am looking forward to Glen Rice's testimony!

September 27, 2011 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  19. Beadles

Good grief, Sarah. Stop talking about doing something – all you do is talk. The only thing you've proven yourself capable of doing is quitting. Call your lawyer and have the suit filed. Then face the consequences (good or bad) of your actions. Oh, wait – consequences?????

September 27, 2011 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  20. Nash

I think Palin should address the Glen Rice falsehood once and for all. It is that simple.

September 27, 2011 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  21. Annia

My family is so sick of hearing about this woman. Every time she is on TV, we'd change the channel. I can't stand Sarah Palin & Michelle Bachman & I'm a liberal woman. Arrrrrrrrrrrrgggg. I hope she sues & go to court & the trial will be on Nancy Grace's, now that would be interesting to see her making more fool of herself. Her freaking 15 minutes was up a long time ago.

September 27, 2011 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  22. hitobito

She won't sue. She afraid of what people would say about her "night of passion" with NBA star Glen Rice (6'8" of a real man!) and a six month affair with her husband's business partner Brad Hanson.

September 27, 2011 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  23. Annia

RE: SCOOPDEDOOP. Beautiful? I've seen a transvite more beautiul than that. Smart? I don't think so. I challenge her a game of jeopardy any time. Conservative? A daughter having a child out of wedlock? I rest my case!

September 27, 2011 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  24. Educator 36

It is a universal law of nature–you will reap what you sow, more than what you sow, later than what you sow. When you plant bean seeds you get beans, not tomatos. You reap more beans than you sow from one bean seed. It takes many months for the bean seed to produce a bean plant with many beans. So it is with all nature, including the acts of us, mere morals, rich or poor, Republican, Democrat or Independent.

September 27, 2011 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  25. Republicans Are The American Taliban

She hasn't got the huevos to sue anyone....

September 27, 2011 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |