Palin threatens lawsuit over book
September 27th, 2011

Palin threatens lawsuit over book

(CNN) - One week after the release of a controversial book on Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor threatened to sue the book's author for including what her lawyer called a "series of lies and rumors presented as fact."

The book, "The Rogue," by Joe McGinniss, has received widespread attention since McGinniss moved in next door to Palin to begin writing in 2010.

Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House and publisher of the book, stood by the title and McGinniss.

"We are confident that the reporting in THE ROGUE is solid, reliable, and well-substantiated," said spokesman Stuart Applebaum in an email on Wednesday.

Shortly before the book hit shelves last week, Palin's husband, Todd, lashed out at McGinniss, saying the author had been "relentlessly" stalking his family and filled the book with "lies, innuendo and smears."

In a letter sent to the book's publisher, Crown Publishing Group, Palin's lawyer said Monday both McGinniss and Crown knowingly published false information and "defamed the Palins."

McGinniss has staunchly defended the title.

McGinniss said that he had originally set out to write a book about Alaska, when Palin was picked as the 2008 vice presidential running mate for Sen. John McCain

"That made her synonymous with Alaska," McGinniss said. "My book about Alaska became a book about Sarah Palin."

The book has received criticism from a number of news outlets, including The New York Times, which said the book "chases caustic, unsubstantiated gossip."

It has also been hit with harsh reviews over its use of anonymous sources for stories about Palin’s past.

But McGinniss stands by the book's accuracy.

"Sarah Palin has lived an outrageous life," McGinniss said on CNN's "American Morning" last week. "All I did was talk to people about it, and they documented it for me. When I was comfortable with the veracity of what I heard, I put it into the book. There were a lot of things that I wasn't comfortable with, that I didn't put them in."

– CNN's Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Christie speech adds fuel to presidential speculation

Perry's wife staunchly defends husband, warns against 'polished' GOP pres. candidates

First on CNN: NH activist endorses Perry

Filed under: Alaska • Joe McGinniss • Sarah Palin • Todd Palin
  1. Davey Boy Smith

Sarah Palin is a joke and I wish the media would leave her name off of the front page. She does not represent anything worthwhile. I just wish she would shut her mouth and go away.

September 27, 2011 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  2. sortakinda

Actually, Sarah, you should send Joe an apology and a thank you gift.

September 27, 2011 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  3. Sniffit

What did she say? I can't hear her when she reaches that pitch. Talk about a dogwhistle...

September 27, 2011 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  4. Kreisler

Trial attorneys: Ruining America – unless they're working for us – since (whenever the Right started b.s.'ing)

September 27, 2011 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  5. Jon

Good...gives her something to do. Now if he Federal Government would sue her on th charges of being a domestic terrorist we could get rid her forever!!

September 27, 2011 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  6. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

She's so good at posturing, isn't she?

September 27, 2011 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  7. Boytjie

Obama should then sue her for the lies sand rumors she spread about him.

September 27, 2011 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  8. Florida Joe

Go ahead and sue....and then all those folks you told not to speak to the author will be forced to tell what they know about you and your dreadful family....PLEASE SUE....this will be quite a show.........

September 27, 2011 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  9. boocat

Let this moron sue. My question to her, how will you disprove what was written?

September 27, 2011 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  10. Starman

She ought to be happy. The lies are more interesting than she is.

September 27, 2011 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  11. Aezel

So when Sarah Palin hears something in a parking lot about a vaccine from a woman she's never met, it's okay to present it as truth.

When an author interviews people he knows has associated with you and then simply reprints their stories about you then suddenly that is over the top.

Sarah Palin: redefining public idiocy.

September 27, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  12. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

I'm Gonna SUE!!!"

Got her name and moving mouth in the media AGAIN

Next?

September 27, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  13. kevin

Age is quickly stealing her only redeeming quality

September 27, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  14. Kat

If you can't handle criticism, get out of show business, or politics, or whatever it is she does.

September 27, 2011 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  15. David

Palin is a "public figure" and cannot sue. we have a Supreme Court ruling on that: The People v. Larry Flint. But hey, why would anyone expect Palin to know history or the law? Her knowledge is very limited:

September 27, 2011 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  16. Doug

The book is nothing but a Political hit job written by a pen hor. I hope Palin clobbers that sleaze ball good. Doug.

September 27, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  17. cj

Unauthorized biographies are all sleazy and dishonest.

September 27, 2011 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  18. Jaywing

So, I assume that means the rest of us can sue Palin for all the lies that she's presented as fact that she's dropped on the rest of us over these last few years? I'd be happy to have some of her cash. Of course, dear Sarah, the real question is, since anybody can sue anybody else about practically anything: can you win? My guess is... no.

September 27, 2011 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  19. beckyp from ATL

Oh, please, Sarah. Can anyone possible deny how tiresome and thin-skinned this silly woman is? What does she expect when she seeks the limelight, brings her kids into it, and attacks people constantly? I guess next we will be reading about her suing whats-his-name, Bristol's ex, for accusing her of being so viciious and vindictive toward him because she is a closet cougar. YAWN.

September 27, 2011 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  20. DenInNooYawk

Court Battle! Let's hear alllllllll about it. We're only as sick as our secrets, right?

September 27, 2011 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  21. Rodney

So sue, already.

September 27, 2011 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  22. realitybites

Sqeeze me? Bakin powder? What did the pot call the kettle? You can dish it out but, you can't take it. Hey everyone look she's not really an Angel, she bleeds real blood when you stick her! Wow that has got to be a big blow to her godliness factor. Of course she really shouldn't be too offended even if the book isn't FAIR and BALANCED since she is a contributing muckracker for that rag FAUX News.

September 27, 2011 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  23. pat carr

""Believe me, I'm so sick of Sarah Palin right now, that after this couple (of) weeks is over, I hope to never hear her name again," McGinniss said last week on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight.""

count me in on that. I was sick of her at first sight. CNN keeps hanging on to her like a ghoul

September 27, 2011 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  24. ldean50

Hey Roger . . . I'M trailer trash. Don't be calling Palin trailer trash when even I have more class then this thing.

September 27, 2011 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  25. roscoe

She probably never told Todd about Glenn Rice and he doesn't want to believe it. Or, they could have cooperated with McGinnis to create the book and create another scheme to get them in the spotlight and rake in more cash.

September 27, 2011 10:07 am at 10:07 am |