Palin threatens lawsuit over book
September 27th, 2011

Palin threatens lawsuit over book

(CNN) - One week after the release of a controversial book on Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor threatened to sue the book's author for including what her lawyer called a "series of lies and rumors presented as fact."

The book, "The Rogue," by Joe McGinniss, has received widespread attention since McGinniss moved in next door to Palin to begin writing in 2010.

Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House and publisher of the book, stood by the title and McGinniss.

"We are confident that the reporting in THE ROGUE is solid, reliable, and well-substantiated," said spokesman Stuart Applebaum in an email on Wednesday.

Shortly before the book hit shelves last week, Palin's husband, Todd, lashed out at McGinniss, saying the author had been "relentlessly" stalking his family and filled the book with "lies, innuendo and smears."

In a letter sent to the book's publisher, Crown Publishing Group, Palin's lawyer said Monday both McGinniss and Crown knowingly published false information and "defamed the Palins."

McGinniss has staunchly defended the title.

"Believe me, I'm so sick of Sarah Palin right now, that after this couple (of) weeks is over, I hope to never hear her name again," McGinniss said last week on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight."

McGinniss said that he had originally set out to write a book about Alaska, when Palin was picked as the 2008 vice presidential running mate for Sen. John McCain

"That made her synonymous with Alaska," McGinniss said. "My book about Alaska became a book about Sarah Palin."

The book has received criticism from a number of news outlets, including The New York Times, which said the book "chases caustic, unsubstantiated gossip."

It has also been hit with harsh reviews over its use of anonymous sources for stories about Palin’s past.

But McGinniss stands by the book's accuracy.

"Sarah Palin has lived an outrageous life," McGinniss said on CNN's "American Morning" last week. "All I did was talk to people about it, and they documented it for me. When I was comfortable with the veracity of what I heard, I put it into the book. There were a lot of things that I wasn't comfortable with, that I didn't put them in."

– CNN's Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Christie speech adds fuel to presidential speculation

Perry's wife staunchly defends husband, warns against 'polished' GOP pres. candidates

First on CNN: NH activist endorses Perry

Filed under: Alaska • Joe McGinniss • Sarah Palin • Todd Palin
  1. Karen

Hope she sets up a website where we can donate to help her out in the lawsuit.

September 27, 2011 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  2. dinak

All the author has to do is put out an official statement that his book is an inspired fiction, and promise that all future prints will include that phrasing on its cover.

September 27, 2011 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  3. svann

I thought politicians could not sue for defamation. What about the lies she tells about the president?

September 27, 2011 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  4. Rick

"When I was comfortable with the veracity of what I heard, I put it into the book."
    "There were a lot of things that I wasn't comfortable with, that I didn't put them in."

Joe paints with a broad brush and the posts here indicate the left wing HATE GATE is wide open. OMG, "Repubilcans are the taliban" Shame on you! You are in dire need of appropriate medical help.........

September 27, 2011 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  5. Jay

Oh what's the matter Palin? Criticism hurts? Boo-hoo....can dish at ton of stuff at Obama but when it's your turn...oh it's not fair.

You're an idiot. A richer idiot than in 2008 but you're still a pathetic idiot whose supporters are probably some the stupidest people on the planet.

September 27, 2011 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  6. CL Treybig

Who cares?

September 27, 2011 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  7. sara loves me

Stop picking on Sarah. I love her

September 27, 2011 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  8. Bwah

I love Alaska Edition Snookie

September 27, 2011 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  9. Lieswillnotsetyoufree

Hey another way to get money... This is the whole life endevour. Go away brainless waste of meat..

September 27, 2011 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  10. Hawaiian Girl

The First Amendment requires that a defamation plaintiff prove actual malice or reckless disregard of the truth when the plaintiff is a public official or public figure. New York Times v. Sullivan, 376 U.S. 254 (1964). This is a much higher burden of proof for a public figure plaintiff. Instead of showing objectively that a "reasonable person" knew or should have known the defamatory statement was false, a public figure plaintiff must prove the intent of the defendant was malicious, or that they acted with reckless disregard for the truth. This allows the defendant to prove its good faith intent and efforts as a defense.

September 27, 2011 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  11. kbb123456

I do wish all of them would just shut up and go away.

September 27, 2011 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  12. Pat

Wow....innuendo and lies? Sounds like Faux News to me. She should be comfortable with that....or does it sting
    a little when it's directed toward her?

September 27, 2011 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  13. once upon a horse

not a fan of Palin at all here, BUT if the things that were said in that book are not true then she has every right to sue. I would as well.

September 27, 2011 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  14. Switters

Sarah-

Welcome to 'free speech' – 'freedom of the press'......

Maybe new concepts to your 'conservative mind'......

September 27, 2011 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  15. Tex71

How poetic.

September 27, 2011 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  16. Scott A

Palin's just trying to draw more attention to herself. Since the book probably contains more truths than lies, any normal sane person wouldn't want to open the can-o-worms that suing or talking about would bring about. Then again, it is Sarah Palin, so wise decisions and remarks aren't really her specialty.

September 27, 2011 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  17. GODZILLA1

It's all TRUE – I hope she does sue and I hope he countersues!

September 27, 2011 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  18. Marc in Texas

I would love for her to sue. She won't do it, and will come up with an excuse as to why not. In the Palin pattern, she is attacking when someone points out that she is lying and full of nonsense. It doesn't matter what is published about her – her supporters are idiots who refuse to see her for what she really is – a self-important, incompetent buffoon.

September 27, 2011 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  19. Robert Cloosdoosch

"series of lies and rumors presented as fact."

Sarah, that is what you do best. That's how you made your millions.

September 27, 2011 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  20. Mike

I'm sure most or all of it is true, but she just can't bear the thought of someone getting the best of her

September 27, 2011 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  21. greg

An even better idea is to not have one night stands with people you dont know and cheat on your husband!

September 27, 2011 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  22. Sequoia

Anything to keep your idiot, useless self in the spotlight, eh Sarah?

September 27, 2011 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  23. Jeetu

Sure, she should sue him and let everyone find out how bad she really is and what all she ahs done to others in Alaska and other places. It will be her loss and our gain if she sues as it will be proved that she is worse than what is depicted in this book. I think the author has been kind to her.

The very idea that she said that she will sue the author clearly shows that she does not believe in doing what she want others to do. Should she be sued for all the lies that she has said in the public.

September 27, 2011 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  24. Nija

Go Sarah go!!!!!!. Am loving it. pa pa aaa pa pa.aaa pa.

September 27, 2011 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  25. AC

Sarah short and simple, if someone writes lies about you, you can SUE! What are you waiting for? The book has been out over two weeks and you have not SUED? Hello, what are you waiting for?

September 27, 2011 11:01 am at 11:01 am |