Palin threatens lawsuit over book
September 27th, 2011

Palin threatens lawsuit over book

(CNN) - One week after the release of a controversial book on Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor threatened to sue the book's author for including what her lawyer called a "series of lies and rumors presented as fact."

The book, "The Rogue," by Joe McGinniss, has received widespread attention since McGinniss moved in next door to Palin to begin writing in 2010.

Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House and publisher of the book, stood by the title and McGinniss.

"We are confident that the reporting in THE ROGUE is solid, reliable, and well-substantiated," said spokesman Stuart Applebaum in an email on Wednesday.

Shortly before the book hit shelves last week, Palin's husband, Todd, lashed out at McGinniss, saying the author had been "relentlessly" stalking his family and filled the book with "lies, innuendo and smears."

In a letter sent to the book's publisher, Crown Publishing Group, Palin's lawyer said Monday both McGinniss and Crown knowingly published false information and "defamed the Palins."

McGinniss has staunchly defended the title.

"Believe me, I'm so sick of Sarah Palin right now, that after this couple (of) weeks is over, I hope to never hear her name again," McGinniss said last week on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight."

McGinniss said that he had originally set out to write a book about Alaska, when Palin was picked as the 2008 vice presidential running mate for Sen. John McCain

"That made her synonymous with Alaska," McGinniss said. "My book about Alaska became a book about Sarah Palin."

It has also been hit with harsh reviews over its use of anonymous sources for stories about Palin’s past.

But McGinniss stands by the book's accuracy.

"Sarah Palin has lived an outrageous life," McGinniss said on CNN's "American Morning" last week. "All I did was talk to people about it, and they documented it for me. When I was comfortable with the veracity of what I heard, I put it into the book. There were a lot of things that I wasn't comfortable with, that I didn't put them in."

– CNN's Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Christie speech adds fuel to presidential speculation

Perry's wife staunchly defends husband, warns against 'polished' GOP pres. candidates

First on CNN: NH activist endorses Perry

Filed under: Alaska • Joe McGinniss • Sarah Palin • Todd Palin
  1. Lynne

Indy....I couldn't have said it better!!!! her threat of a law suit is a win win for the author and publisher. This is going to be so fun to watch! Finally something with Sarah on TV that I am going to enjoy.

September 27, 2011 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  2. Beadles

I'm no fan of Ms. Palin – but neither do I have much respect for Mr. McGinniss as a biographer. The irony is that Ms. Palin is so upset by misrepresentation of facts. I thought she had cornered the market on that. She needs to ignore the book – but she won't. So she'll just give it lots of free publicity while keeping her face and her name in the news. A win-win for her and McGinniss. But, won't she just please GO AWAY???? There is a special place in the afterlife for Sen. McCain for unleashing this mad woman on an unsuspecting public – and it's hotter even than Phoenix in July.

September 27, 2011 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  3. Downside

Sarah Palin shouls think about this, is Paul Revere here to defend what really happened?

September 27, 2011 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  4. TM

And how much of Palin's own, ghostwritten, book are just stories she made up about herself?

September 27, 2011 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  5. Harry Baxter

There is, of course, zero chance that Palin will collect if she sues, but it's one more opportunity for America's foremost disfunctional family to extend their 15 minutes of Fame by another year, with the help of CNN and other media companies who can't find anything important to write about.

September 27, 2011 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  6. Jenna

If this man did to your family what he did to the Palin's your tone would change. You may not like her but this man is a grade-A jerk and deserves to be reprimanded. The Palins have young children for gods sake... how would you feel if a man was trying to peak into your windows at night to monitor your family. GROSS.

September 27, 2011 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  7. An amused & disgusted Canadian

Why doesn't someone sue John McCain for bringing her into the limelight to begin with. What was he thinking??? or not!!!

September 27, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  8. Chief Sitting Bull

I'm buyng this book this weekend just because it pi$$es her off!

September 27, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  9. Toni

I'm half way through the book right now. I don't find any of it shocking. It just bolsters my reasons for disliking her so profusely. She's the Alaskan Vomit Comet.

September 27, 2011 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  10. Chris

Even if the book is the honest truth, Palin will sue JUST to keep her name in the news. After all, she's all smoke, no substance.

September 27, 2011 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  11. indyreader

I hope this DOES end up in court. Then Sarah will have to supply verifiable, objective facts, under oath, for a change. I bet she'll be as swift at that as in providing an example of a newspaper or magazine she reads.

September 27, 2011 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  12. Hugo

I see where Sarah Palin and her lawyer are claiming the book has lies. I don't see where they are claiming malice. She's a public figure. Without proof of malice, there is no successful lawsuit - just a bunch of PR and trying her case in the press.

September 27, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  13. jrcarroll

Palin is so over she can't even draw fly's these days.
    She showed herself to be the zero that she really is when she resigned half way through her term as Governor.

September 27, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  14. Joe

SHE'S going to sue for lies presented as fact? Hahahahahahahahaha!!!

September 27, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  15. Meg

Good luck...celebrities and other public figures have been trying to get rid of "rumors" in the media for years.

September 27, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  16. Scott

Lies? Rumors? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

September 27, 2011 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  17. sheppard

blah blah blah blah – more hot air from the biggest professional victim of all time..... If you hold the winning card, $arah, you play it, you don't just threaten to...

September 27, 2011 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  18. Patty - Illinois

This book must be as much fun to read the movie, Animal House, was to see!

September 27, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  19. Joshua Ludd

"The book has received criticism from a number of news outlets, including The New York Times, which said the book "chases caustic, unsubstantiated gossip.""

You mean the same New York Times that is owned by Rupert Murdoch... who has a vested interest in Palin, as she is an employee of Fox News?

Also, I'll believe it when she actually sues. Till then, just more hot air from Caribou Barbie.

September 27, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  20. Lab Monkey

Well now........isn't THAT special.. Go ahead, Sarah. See what happens when the REAL truth is told.

September 27, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  21. Patty - Illinois

This book must be as much fun to read as the movie, Animal House, was to see!

September 27, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  22. Dave from GA

"There were a lot of things that I wasn't comfortable with, that I didn't put them in."

What a double negative on her!!! It means it is very real what she had done in Alaska. Thanks, author, for the great honesty.

September 27, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  23. stoptheh8te

Why does this upset her? Most of what she says are lies, exaggerations and omission of facts only the stir up excitement to keep her name relevant. The author is using a play out of her playbook to make money.

September 27, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  24. Bart

Weird – I thought she hated litigation.

September 27, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  25. emma

I do not want to read the book because I am super-saturated with Palin's public exposure. I am so pleased that she will not be our next President. (Even if she runs).

September 27, 2011 11:23 am at 11:23 am |