Borger: America's love/hate affair with government
September 28th, 2011

Borger: America's love/hate affair with government

Editor's note: Gloria Borger is CNN's chief political analyst, appearing regularly on shows such as "AC360," "The Situation Room," "John King USA" and "State of the Union."

Washington (CNN) - It's a problem that has been around for awhile, and the longer it stays, the tougher it is to reverse. That's because it's a riddle that's almost impossible to resolve: Americans want the government to fix our problems, but they don't trust the government to do it.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Congress • President Obama
  1. Rudy NYC

I don't want government to "fix" the problems, I want government to take its' hand out of creating them. Most of our problems today were created by government; such as granting health insurance companies an exemption from monopoly laws, which allows insurers to charge us anything they wish. Those are the sort of problems that government creates in a free market society. Providing favoritism to one industry or set of industries.

September 28, 2011 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  2. Rick McDaniel

Both parties put the party before the people. They always have, but now that we have instant media, 24 hrs. a day, we all know about it, immediately.

September 28, 2011 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  3. Lynda/Minnesota

"Americans want the government to fix our problems, but they don't trust the government to do it."

I absolutely disagree, Ms. Borger. Not only do I not expect government to "fix" my problems, I never have - whatever you may seem to think my (and millions of other Americans) "problems" might be. Too be quite truthful, I am too far below the radar both economically and socially for Congress to actually care what my concerns are anymore. Fairly sure the same applies to the folks in the media as well.

September 28, 2011 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  4. Marie MD

Once again borger is living in the clouds. I support the politicians I voted for and sent to DC. What I don't support is the constant hate and obstructionism from the right just because they don't like the man who we elected President as opposed to the one in 2000 that was appointed by the scutos!
    The republikan party has lost its way as they walk in all that money their rich buddies have given them to continue to make sure they stay on top while the poor get poorer and the middle class disappears!

September 28, 2011 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  5. No Amnesty for Teabaggers - Impeach Republicans

I think a lot of mistrust is because of the acts of the republican white congressional committee.

September 28, 2011 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |