Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems
September 28th, 2011

Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems

Washington (CNN) - The one African-American running for the GOP presidential nomination said Wednesday the black community was 'brainwashed' for traditionally siding with liberal politicians.

"African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being open minded, not even considering a conservative point of view," Godfather's Pizza executive Herman Cain said on CNN's "The Situation Room" in an interview airing Wednesday between 5-7 p.m. ET. "I have received some of that same vitriol simply because I am running for the Republican nomination as a conservative. So it's just brainwashing and people not being open minded, pure and simple."

Cain went on to explain that his interactions with African Americans led him to be optimistic about his own chances with the demographic.

"This whole notion that all African-Americans are not going to vote for Obama is not necessarily true," Cain said.

He continued, "I believe a third [of African-Americans] would vote for me, based on my own anecdotal feedback. Not vote for me because I'm black but because of my policies."

Cain also weighed in on the recent chatter surrounding Chris Christie, saying the recent reports the New Jersey governor is reconsidering a run for president were hurting the electorate.

"It's not insulting as much as it is a disservice to the American people," Cain said. "Chris Christie has been saying for a long time he's not interested in running. The media is trying to create a story by sucking Chris Christie into race, just like they made a story by sucking Rick Perry into the race."

Cain said the media should focus on the candidates who have already declared their candidacy to give voters a better idea of the field.

Filed under: Herman Cain • TV-The Situation Room
soundoff (1,341 Responses)
  1. James

Yes, when people call you out for your stupid stances, it's clearly because they have been brainwashed and not because you're stupid. I hadn't paid much attention to Cain thus far. I think I'll return to that strategy now.

September 28, 2011 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  2. marc

Up yours Cain...you can't speak for an entire race of people nor could a single white man do the same for his race. Speak for yourself as an individual your views are your own.

September 28, 2011 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  3. KCAW

This guy is really funny. They always find someone like him, so they can say we have a colored friend. Remember Alan Keyes? The bdttom line is – you didn't really win the FL straw poll – they were sending a message. They won't really vote for you & they don't want you living next door. What do you think they call you when you are not in the room?

September 28, 2011 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  4. B1812

Does he know history? the Gop used to be a liberal northern party Abraham Lincoln was a liberal republican that ended slavery, the Dems(Southern states wanted to keep it)Big shift 1.Until the New Deal, blacks had shown their traditional loyalty to the party of Abraham Lincoln by voting overwhelmingly Republican. By the end of Roosevelt's first administration, however, one of the most dramatic voter shifts in American history had occurred. 2. Democrat Lyndon Johnson ended segregation in 1964. Shift 3 You get the point why minorities vote the way they do?

September 28, 2011 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  5. Beverly

No, the reason I mention my race and background is only because it is relevant to the discussion. I'm sick of "white" people in the media or self-proclaimed leaders of the "black" community speaking for only those blacks who agree with them. The reality is that many of us are sick and tired of supporting a president who maginifies the stereotype of minorities merely being victims. Well, Cain provides an alternative to Obama which is built not on "YES, WE CAN" but "Yes, YOU can!" This involves personal responsibility and hard work and it also means I don't need the government to make decisions for me

September 28, 2011 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  6. Nanette

I vote democrate because that is my belief. Blacks are not brained washed. Mr. Cain just lost my vote and my attention for making a comment like that. Actually Cain has lost over ninety percent of the black vote with his commnent. How dare him down play us like that. So I guess he's saying that PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA is brainwashed as well.

September 28, 2011 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  7. robert

I agree with Mr Cain – the media is always looking at stirring up trouble – if a man or woman says no – then no means no – the media is always trying to make a news story for ratings. Now, to Mr. Cains point about AM voting liberal – its sad becuase the democratic party is all for the welfare state which is a way to keep people down – whereas the republicans are for picking yourself up by your boot straps and earing a living. Now, what the Dems have done is sell thier version of history better than the republicans – Dems have somehow convinced – not just the AM people – but hispanics too – that they are the party that supports thier values. Now – how many traditional AM and Latino families do you know that are for abortion? Divorce? Welfare? these are the basic values that most AM and Latinos share with the repuublican party but somehow the Dems have convinced these folks to vote democrat.

September 28, 2011 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  8. BENJI

The pot calling the kettle black. He is the one who is brainwashed. I refuse to support the GOP because I see the racism from them.

September 28, 2011 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  9. B1812

Then most of the racist Dems who didn't want to end segregation turned Republican.

September 28, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  10. BENJI

All you whites saying blacks only voted for President Obama because he is black. Well what about all the whites who voted AGAINST him because he is black?

September 28, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  11. california girl

CAIN is the one who is "brainwashed" by the Republicans. Wish CAIN realizes that those Republicans are happy to see him (a BLACK) join the party nomination...to split the votes among Blacks. CAIN...open your eyes..you are just being used by those Republicans...they do not care about you. In the end, you will never be nominated to run for president. Maybe you can open another pizza parlor...show us you really care, and...hire only Blacks, as your employees...many need the job.

September 28, 2011 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  12. mashaa

So the African American community is the smartest community? They vote 99% democrat yet cry over the same problems year after year. All other communities split their votes & are well represented in both parties. Herman Cain speaks the painful truth.

September 28, 2011 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  13. goliath

soo cain killed able and couldnt get away from it... too bad cain... you loose

September 28, 2011 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  14. hank

it is you Mr Cain that is brainwashed, Mr. so called Truth It was the White vote that put Obama in office, and I bet you did not vote for Mr Obama because he is black. You had a weak team running and they lost so get over it.

September 28, 2011 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  15. Mike Johnson

Someone please ask Herb is white republicans are brainwashed for continuing to vote Republican. Are white democrats brainwashed for continuing to vote Democrat?

You see even if you are black, you will become a Moron if you join the Republican party.

September 28, 2011 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  16. No Clue

Wow, the first GOP candidate to address the Black community, and he's calling them "brainwashed"...and wonder why blacks vote for the Dems. And he's black...

September 28, 2011 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  17. What's a girl to do

Who is brainwashed? This guy buys into the god/jesus mythology.

September 28, 2011 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  18. No Clue

Doug

Mr. Cain is a better person than any every single Democrat, black white whatever in America today.

He has integrity, decency, morals, and true compassion, you cannot say the same about any Democrat
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Criticizing and generalizing a whole race of people makes you a better person. That's a sad statement...

September 28, 2011 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  19. T'sah from Virginia

Wow – I didn't even read the blogs yet and find this statement way out!!Wow – I warned that this was coming… The RIGHT will use the few BLACKS they have to try and come after the African Americans on the LEFT and play them against President Obama!!! And Cain is NOT the only African American out there from the RIGHT doing it. You will also have WHITE-RIGHT candidates and pundits doing the same thing………………IT’S NOT GOING TO WORK!!!

►TRENDING: Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems◄
    And a “few”, maybe two Blacks from the RIGHT think their answer is on the other end
    And Cain should have thought twice because now he’s “TRENDING” on CNN
    Which means this story will stick around for DAYS and Cain will be on the spin

►"I believe a third [of African-Americans] would vote for me…”◄
    ►” Not vote for me because I'm black but because of my policies."◄
    But Cain’s policies are so far-RIGHT and against in what I believe
    He raises his HAND in harmony with the Bachmanns, ginGRINCHES and PERRYS!!

On another note – if Cain can get a 1/3 of our votes – then we’re not so brainwashed after all
    Getting a 1/3 of the Black votes would put Cain on TOP of the far-RIGHT candidacy wall
    And I watched ALL of the debates thus far and did not enjoy all of the hate they were invoking
    Now hearing what Cain has to say today – Dang, now I truly believe he’s a TOKEN

Obama/Biden 2012!!!

September 28, 2011 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  20. Aint_Gonna_Happen

Does Herman Cain actually believe that he or any other minority person will be nominated as the Republican Presidential candidate in this century? I look forward to the rude awakening when he runs into one of those socially REGRESSIVE “Real American” conservative type audiences. I don’t often give advice to people who are obviously smarter than me but Herman you might want to leave the car running at that gig.

September 28, 2011 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  21. TM

Given the naked racism spouted by leading voices of the Grand Old Tea Party following the election of the nation's FIRST non-caucasian President, is it any wonder why minorities are staying away from the Republican party and its candidates?

September 28, 2011 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  22. Ron

To call a whole group of people "brainwashed" is going to go over like a lead balloon. Good luck in getting 1/3 of these "brainwashed" people to vote for you, Mr. Cain.

September 28, 2011 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  23. July

Mr. Cain, if you become president of these 300 million people, from every land under the sun, calling themselves Americans, I, personally, WILL BE DONE.

September 28, 2011 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  24. Norm - not that one

So he's saying that blacks are so out of it, they can't see the facts in front of their faces?
    Well, the problem is that the facts support the idea that the GOP is NOT for the poor and working class people .... black or not.

September 28, 2011 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  25. breed11

JFK voted against the 1st civil rights bill, politicians are full of it no matter what party, I do believe that Cain is right in terms of being more 'open minded'.

September 28, 2011 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54