Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems
September 28th, 2011

Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems

Washington (CNN) - The one African-American running for the GOP presidential nomination said Wednesday the black community was 'brainwashed' for traditionally siding with liberal politicians.

"African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being open minded, not even considering a conservative point of view," Godfather's Pizza executive Herman Cain said on CNN's "The Situation Room" in an interview airing Wednesday between 5-7 p.m. ET. "I have received some of that same vitriol simply because I am running for the Republican nomination as a conservative. So it's just brainwashing and people not being open minded, pure and simple."

Cain went on to explain that his interactions with African Americans led him to be optimistic about his own chances with the demographic.

"This whole notion that all African-Americans are not going to vote for Obama is not necessarily true," Cain said.

He continued, "I believe a third [of African-Americans] would vote for me, based on my own anecdotal feedback. Not vote for me because I'm black but because of my policies."

Cain also weighed in on the recent chatter surrounding Chris Christie, saying the recent reports the New Jersey governor is reconsidering a run for president were hurting the electorate.

"It's not insulting as much as it is a disservice to the American people," Cain said. "Chris Christie has been saying for a long time he's not interested in running. The media is trying to create a story by sucking Chris Christie into race, just like they made a story by sucking Rick Perry into the race."

Cain said the media should focus on the candidates who have already declared their candidacy to give voters a better idea of the field.

Filed under: Herman Cain • TV-The Situation Room
soundoff (1,341 Responses)
  1. Doyle Wiley, MI

I'm an African-American that voted for the President. But it had nothing to do with his race or political party it had to do with the fact that he made the most sense. I would never vote for Cain and again it has nothing to do with his race or political party I wouldn't vote for him because of the prejudice remarks he has made; and unfortunately he doesn't realize the remarks are prejudice.

September 28, 2011 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  2. DVD Charlie

I love the panic that the White Liberal Community is now going through, it is a matter of time when African Americans go back an embrace the Republican Party and free themselves from the shackles of the Democratic Party.

The GOP along with the help of African Americans were able to defeat the Democratic slave owners in the past, and will defeat them again. There is going be a new awakening in America and the Liberals hate when they see others free themselves.

September 28, 2011 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  3. Sylvestor Johnson

Wow! We are soooo screwed. You people are going to sink this ship out of ignorance.

MY GOD!!!

September 28, 2011 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  4. sprfldman

Herman Cain is Obummers worst NIGHTMARE!

This would AUTOMATICLY take away the race card that the pathetic Dems play.

The pathetic main stream media would have no idea what to say or report.

No more can they claim those that disagree with Obama are racist – this would be GONE!

All of the true American tax payers (the Tea Party) would be supporting a black man for President!
    How can this be? I thought we were all racists?

To any of Obama's supporters and the loser Libs on this board – you sound sad and miserable – anyone who would support more of Obama simply hates America and all that she represents. So "F" off!

September 28, 2011 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  5. Stereotype This

Woman in California. Which stereotype of yours do I fit? I'm white. I'm Southern. I grew up poor in a trailer park. We went to church. Liberals would profile me as poor white trash following some fairy tale faith. And the liberals I grew up with did smear me and "my kind" - believe me. (They're not as tolerant as they claim to be.) I worked my way through college, held good jobs in my field, did well, out-earned my better educated husband in the same field. My field is overrun by liberals, and I find them to be unprepared to debate issues. Liberal groupthink pervades every publication I subscribe to - it's unavoidable - London Review of Books, Lapham's Quarterly, Economist, Sojourners, and so on. There are few outlets that challenge the liberal mindset, so that explains why their minds are soft. This saddens me because if my opponent is weak, it makes me weak, because no one is testing my views - seriously testing them. We need strong opponents, and Republicans don't have them. I thank God for Libertarians, as I can get a genuine thoughtful debate going. As you gatheres, I'm an opinionated, strong-willed woman, but I loathe Clinton (both of 'em). She's a good speaker, but that's all. The first black man I voted for was Alan Keyes - he was a long shot, but at least he understood economics and integrity. I wish Thomas Sowell had been our first black president.

September 28, 2011 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  6. daveugber

herman cain is a good man...he speaks the truth... the black community needs to question who is for their best interests... is it in the best interest of ANY group to allow themselves to be lured into trusting one group over another??? is it in the best interest of ANY group to have a 'safety net', which does nothing more than foster superfluous risk-taking??? anyone who thinks conservatism is racist is ignorant...'brainwashed' might be harsh, but it isn't far from the truth....in EVERY demographic group, there is balance between ideologies – except the black demography... 95%??? that's ridiculous and smells of a 'flock'...wake up people...it IS time for a change, and until recently nothing has shown us politicians willing to change...FOR REAL...there is a shift taking place...WAKE UP...the status quo is killing america...let's elect a small-government candidate who is honest...honesty isn't always comfortable, and it isn't always what you want to hear... check out bill cosby and what he has to say about the black community...hats off, mr. cain...

September 28, 2011 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  7. mw

Brainwashed? Maybe Mr. Cain should consider the fact that he would not be where he is right now if a Democratic president, Harry Truman, hadn't, at the risk of his presidency and his very life, integrated the armed services, struck down poll taxes, created anti-lynching laws and generally kick-started the civil rights movement that had lain dormant since Lincoln's death. And if the Democratic party hadn't had the guts to nominate a black guy for president and support him to win, Mr Cain would not be up on that platform in any but a token capacity.

September 28, 2011 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  8. Tim in Louisiana

A country will collape when the ones in power realize that they can vote themselves money from the treasury.

September 28, 2011 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  9. Ron

Gee. I wonder if this idiot has ever heard of the republican's so called "southern strategy"? Yep, I'd say "someone" has been brainwashed, but it ain't (all) blacks.

September 28, 2011 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  10. Carrie P.

So, are people to assume from Mr. Cain's comments that only Black Republicans are open-minded, independent thinkers and that the rest of the AA community is too unintelligent to think for themselves and understand when they have been ignored and economically devastated by GOP polices beginning with trickle down economics. Mr. Cain I congratulate you on your success in life and your candidancy. However, you chose your party affiliation; so, don't whine because AA are not attracted to it. You knew that going in. Put on your big boy pants and get over it.

September 28, 2011 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  11. SteveB

Herman Cain would be the real African-American in the next Presidential race. But that's not the point. Mr. Cain represents a faith in Free-Market American Capitalism. The US did not become the most wealthy and powerful nation ever known in human history because of a socialist agenda. It did so by free-markets and free people. Look at what is accomplished by communist or socialist political systems like the USSR, Cuba, North Korea . . . poverty and want for the many, priveledge and comfort for the political class. "Rich" people are a by-product of free markets and free people, by and large. Rich people take the risks, have the drive, ingenutiy and ability to provide heat for our homes, gas for our cars, food for our tables, heat in the winter and cool in the summer, appliances, electronics, entertainment, all those things that are necessary or enjoyable in life.

September 28, 2011 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  12. Matt

It seems to me that people who have dignity would not want special treatment based no their race. I think that Herman Cain is emblematic of the current Republican Party which is largely color-blind.

What many of you people posting on this article are advocating is the exact opposite of racial equality. You are advocating a very divisive racially-based political environment in which various minority and religious groups vie for favorable political and financial treatment from the government. That isn't liberty. It's just using your race as a tool to coerce politicians.

It would be more productive to remove the racial prism and allow people to judge each other (paraphrasing Dr.King) by the content of their characters, and not the color of their skin.

September 28, 2011 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  13. Texas Marty

Hey all you libs....watch Herman Cain this election cycle. He's the beginning of the end for your liberal coalition! When Dems have managed to squeek out electoral victories it's ALWAYS been with a 90% plus black vote. Heck, Obama got 94% of the black vote! Don't you see the writing on the wall??? The day conservatives get even 20% – 25% of the black vote you libs can kiss your elections goodbye! It will be LANDSLIDE CITY!!! Watch those 2% – 5% rust belt state victories turn into losses in a nanosecond....while the red states get even more red!

Thank you, Barry!! Thank you so much for fundamentally changing America BACK to it's roots!!!

September 28, 2011 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  14. DetroitSux

What? Doesn't Cain realize if you want to talk to the brothers, you've got to hop up and down, put some ghetto vibe in your vibratto, wag your fingers and wave your hands. At least, that's how Obama does it.

September 28, 2011 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  15. Thinker

Too much dribble and emotion and not much thinking in the comments. Granted - alot of voters vote without thinking. They pull the R or the D lever because that's what they have always done. Secondly, many vote the way they do because they don't give a crap about others and instead only care about what they can get from the government. Poor lazy slobs those people are. With that said, lets not forget that it was the Rep. President Lincoln who was instrumental in the freeing of the slaves. It was the Reps, along with the Dem President Johnson, who passed the Civil Rights Act of the 60's. It was your southern Dems in the Congress who were against it. And so on. The sad thing today, and most don't realize this, is that most blacks today are slaves to the government, enjoying the chains of bondage the government has on them, and all to the detriment of the black community - highest rate of abortions, out of wedlock births, and single family homes percentage wise amongst any race. May the scales fall off the eyes of these folks and see the harm BIG government is on them. And whether they have an R, a D, an I, whatever, behind their name, may those for a smaller government prevail lest we decline further into a Marxist, destructive state.

September 28, 2011 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  16. RM Edaps

Herman Cain has not offered the black community any special promises, nor should he. What the liberals have given the black community since initiating LBJ's Great Society is ruined urban communities with no fathers, a 75% illegitimate birth rate, rampant crime, drugs, and an increased dependence on "the Man"(ie, government). Any group who continuously and unanimously votes for more of this on themselves is brainwashed.

September 28, 2011 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  17. Malcolm V

Well, Republicans did free the slaves back then... and Republicans now want everyone to be more successful financially. African Americans have been hit the hardest in these times, even with having a democrat majority in the house and senate for the first 2 years of Obama's presidency...

Cain actually has a plan that will benefit everyone and solve this economic crisis...Obama's plan was and still is to spend our way out of this mess, which is not working so well for anyone

September 28, 2011 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  18. lastfrance

Traditionally, most blacks were Republican because that was (is) the anti-slavery party (Abraham Lincoln etc.) until Democrats figured out how to buy their votes. Somehow in the past 50 years the Dem controlled press has been able to convince a lot of people that conservatives are racist because we do not support social programs that have destroyed the traditional black family (and white families btw). Based on the other comments here I can see that most of you will disagree with me without even thinking about what I have said which leads me to wonder... maybe HC is right about people being brainwashed. He's a class act self-made man who fought his way through up to the top, show him some respect people.

September 28, 2011 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  19. TheTruth

There are so many posters here that have no idea what the truth is. I am old enough to remember the fight over the civil rights act of 1964. The majority of Republicans voted for it. The majority of Demondcrats voted against it. Who led the filibuster in the Senate against it? Robert KKK Bird, William Fulbrite (Clintons mentor) and Al Gores father. The Black society has been destroyed by the Denocrate party policies.
    I remember when JFK cut taxes on the Rich and the economy boomed so that LBJ get his guns and butter. JFK knew what it took to get this country going. He inherited a recession from IKE. Remember, the Dems took over congress in 2007 and started spending like crazy. There was one Dem senator that voted for every spending bill. Yes, it was Obummer. So, yes he did inherit the mess. He inherited it from himself. By the way if the media was only honest there would never be another Democrate elected to a National office. I feel sorry for the Black society. When I was younger I saw many Blacks(I went to school with many) Families gaining and advancing up the success ladder. Then came the Great Society and the War on Poverty. Thise two policies alone have destroyed the Black society.
    I grew up in Flint Michigan and have watched the Democrates and the unions destroy that state. Next it will be Ca and RI. then the country. All you mind numbed liberals are in for a big suprise when all your policies are shown as they are now to be totally destructive. Thake that!!

September 28, 2011 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  20. Hawk2001

The ignorance of those commented here about Republicans not caring about minorities is simply amazing. Lincoln was a Republican. And it was the Republican members of Congress that made passage of the 1964 Civil Rights act possible. Apparently, many have forgotten that it was the Democrats that opposed passage of the Civil Rights Act. And if memory serves me correctly, it was a Republican President that appointed the first Black Supreme Court Justice. And wasn't it George W. Bush who appointed two Blacks to his cabinet. Go figure.

September 28, 2011 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  21. Robert

Future President Cain is correct. What is so confusing about this situation is that this huge majority pulls the D lever every election, and the D party is directly aligned with every immoral political group in America. How can such a group of outstanding Christians continue to support the party of moral decadence? Look at the morals of their leaders in the D party. How could anyone invest their trust into such a totally immoral mob? My prayers to God is for these wonderful people to become aware that the D party has worked for years to destroy all hope for these people for the purpose of enslaving them through government dependence. The truth is that this large group of American Christians is awakening, and when this awakening is complete our nation will experience a gigantic toward Christian moral values in Washington D.C., which will remove virtually every federal level elected person. I believe that God’s plan is for Mr. Cain to lead our nation towards the rights and freedoms God bestowed on the United States of America. God bless every American and may you experience God’s everlasting peace and love.
    Sincerely,
    Robert in Texas

September 28, 2011 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  22. Amy

Oh, ok, so Herman Cain is "brainwashed."
    He's also a multi-millionaire - to the tune of 18 million or so in net worth ... if that's brainwashed, I'd like to get ME some of that!
    I'm not so sure he got that way by being brainwashed ...more like because he's smart, worked hard, and took advantage of all the opportunities this country has to offer. Why more blacks can't realize this and DO this is beyond me. Blacks had as much to do with winning freedom for all Americans historically as did whites ...too bad they don't want to take advantage of it. All they seem to be able to do is turn on those blacks who forget about victimhood and just live life to the fullest.

September 28, 2011 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  23. Scott

Wow! Freakin' wow! Such vitriol from the left-wing slavers. Herman threw a handful of rocks into the pack and the ones that got hit sure are yelping! Keep it up Herman Cain, you've got my vote! I

September 28, 2011 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  24. Neanderthal

I would rather vote for a Neanderthal before Nobama. His plan was to cut the deficit in half, he more than tripled it. His plan was to read every bill word for word, but he passed bills behind closed doors. He promised to 'fundamentally' change America and Washington. Same corruption as usual like Solyndra and campaigning using tax payers' dollars. He promised to end the war in less than six months. It's never going to end. He promised to spread the wealth around. He kept it by spreading the wealth to already wealthy. Go neanderthals.

September 28, 2011 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  25. Eric

Democrat is the same as a communist. Anyone voting for a democrat is brainwashed. Anyone. As the govt slowly takes over every aspect of the U.S economy the country will eventually be a communist regime. If you love freedom then vote conservative.

September 28, 2011 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54