Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems
September 28th, 2011

Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems

Washington (CNN) - The one African-American running for the GOP presidential nomination said Wednesday the black community was 'brainwashed' for traditionally siding with liberal politicians.

"African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being open minded, not even considering a conservative point of view," Godfather's Pizza executive Herman Cain said on CNN's "The Situation Room" in an interview airing Wednesday between 5-7 p.m. ET. "I have received some of that same vitriol simply because I am running for the Republican nomination as a conservative. So it's just brainwashing and people not being open minded, pure and simple."

Cain went on to explain that his interactions with African Americans led him to be optimistic about his own chances with the demographic.

"This whole notion that all African-Americans are not going to vote for Obama is not necessarily true," Cain said.

He continued, "I believe a third [of African-Americans] would vote for me, based on my own anecdotal feedback. Not vote for me because I'm black but because of my policies."

Cain also weighed in on the recent chatter surrounding Chris Christie, saying the recent reports the New Jersey governor is reconsidering a run for president were hurting the electorate.

"It's not insulting as much as it is a disservice to the American people," Cain said. "Chris Christie has been saying for a long time he's not interested in running. The media is trying to create a story by sucking Chris Christie into race, just like they made a story by sucking Rick Perry into the race."

Cain said the media should focus on the candidates who have already declared their candidacy to give voters a better idea of the field.

Filed under: Herman Cain • TV-The Situation Room
soundoff (1,341 Responses)
  1. Jeremy

So I read through most of the comments... I honestly don't understand all the hate against businesses and successful people. Where do you think our jobs come from? And where do you think a large majority of the tax revenue comes from? And how can you not like Herman Cain? The man has a bachelors in mathematics, a masters in computer science. He worked as ballistics expert for the Navy, and has had a very successful business career. Him and others like him achieved the American dream because they worked very hard. and the only thing most of you can do is rage and grind your teeth demanding your cut of what they earned. Our country used to celebrate people like Herman Cain, now we curse them and demand that they give us their wealth.

September 28, 2011 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  2. eric in NJ

Well it is hard to understand Mr. Cain. After all things are so great for the black community! The Dems have given them so very much and the Dem super majority- 2008-10- and BHO gave them so much more. The results are terrible schools, higher than average poverty, sky high illegitimacy rates, and record high levels of incarceration. Yeah, Cain is wrong! Blacks understandably vote Dem cause they do so much better when they do so! Ugh

September 28, 2011 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  3. King Kamehameha XVIX

Herman Cain... a man I could support. While I wish he would get the GOP nomination, which I seriously doubt will happen, I would love to see how the 2012 election would pan out... particularly among black voters.

September 28, 2011 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  4. Kenny K

Alan Key is black, but I am sure every white democrats he ever run against get more afro-american votes than he did. Reason is afro-americans are mostly democrats. Even if Cain run against a white democrat, the white democrat will get more afro-american votes than he does.

September 28, 2011 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  5. Nick

I will take Cain 10 times over Change and Hope who is putting more blacks out of work everyday than did any other president. We black people will have to wake up one day. I know, it is hard, but we will eventually going to have to. Our "government will provide for me" mentality is holding our communities back. Wake up my people!

September 28, 2011 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  6. Kenny

The reason blacks side with the Democratic Party is simple. Republicans/Conservatives/Tea Party folk hate Blacks! I'd bet my life, that every bigoted/racist white person, if you were to ask them what polictial party they identify with, the say they were Republicans.

September 28, 2011 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  7. The Bu

As a Black Independent, I hate when the term "brainwashed" is used by anyone, especially when referring to the black community. For years, when someone doesn't agree with ones point it's always been said that they've been brainwashed! WHY? Because I don't see things the way you see it? NO!!! How about, I just have my own opinion on how things should be! I'll begin to look more seriously at the Republican party when they begin to acknowledge that discrimination based upon race (among other things) still exists and there still needs to be programs that make sure people are not discriminated against. I'll begin to look more seriously at the Republican party when they acknowledge that their right to life (which I agree with in principle) is just as important for a woman to make her own choice. I will begin to look more seriously at the Republican party when I can look at a Republican rally and see a more diverse crowd. A crowd that truly looks like what America is! Until then, Herman Caine and other far-right Republicans can kick rocks. I agree with moderate Republicans and moderate Democrats. The extreme on both sides scrapes the crack of my butt real bad!! The Democratic party is no better, but I believe that the Republican party still has a long way to go to grow this "big tent" that they love to talk about, but I rarely see when I watch them on television.

September 28, 2011 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  8. The Great Decider

Guess that includes him

September 28, 2011 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  9. True Observer

"That's because they know that the republican/tparty is really nothing more then the party of the old south and all they are interested in is making the country safe for lunacy, hypocrisy, hate, and exploitation."

You forgot to add that that is why South Carolina Republicans voted 2-1 to nominate an African American over Strom Thurmond's son to serve in the US House.

You need to spend a little more time looking under rocks.

September 28, 2011 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  10. sane

I would not vote for cain because he is a fool. What sane black person would be a conservative in this country? What the hell would they be conserving?

September 28, 2011 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  11. amplitude jones

wow, the animals,the slime pig democrat evil freaks on here just LIE. AMERICANS are the party of freedom, democrats are EVIL

September 28, 2011 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  12. John

It because the Republican and the Tea Party are for the Rich and Big Business, And the Democrats are for the Public. If ant body brain wash It You Mr Cain. You are the One who can't see that the Tea Party really don't want You and you will not win.

September 28, 2011 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  13. The Bu

To those who are saying that blacks voted for President Obama SIMPLY or ONLY because he was black, I'm sure you didn't have a problem when women supported Hilary Clinton, Sarah Palin, or even, currently, Michele Bachman because they are WOMEN!!! Don't confuse PRIDE with EXCLUSION or HATRED!!!! Get a grip man!!!!!

September 28, 2011 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  14. John from NH

Some of the historical comments from democratic leaning folks are astounding. Regarding the civil rights act in 1964: The House of Representatives passed the bill by 289 to 124, a vote in which 80% of Republicans and 63% of Democrats
    voted “yes”.
    The Senate vote was 73 to 27, with 21 Democrats and only 6 Republicans voting “no”. The southern governments were controlled by racist DEMOCRATS, so tell me who was working for the African American. Johnson got support because he told the Republicans he wouldn't water down the bill as the Democrats wanted. Don't let yourselves be swayed by the facts ......

September 28, 2011 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  15. DEF

Sad but true.... Many people rely on their god on earth, the wealthy politicians who promise them paradise for their support, in reality they make their gods on earth wealthy and powerful and they sink deeper into the pits of poverty!!!! The black communities are living proof of the belief that false gods of the earth can bring prosperity, as they sink deeper into poverty, still waving the signs supporting those who put them there!!! How many of their political leaders are poor/impoverished!!!! Answer...NONE...! They are all wealthy gods of the people!!!

September 28, 2011 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  16. AAVoter

Democrats are the party of the lower class–why would anyone want to openly identify as being a part of that? Voting GOP is a status symbol, like carrying a gorgeous LV handbag.

September 28, 2011 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  17. Cain

Perhaps people have forgotten, if it wasn't for the Republicans, we'd still have slaves. Yes, Lincoln was a Republican. The Dem's fought against your freedom.

September 28, 2011 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  18. Brad

The GOP did NOT try to obstruct the civil rights movement. If it were not for the GOP, the legislation would never have made it by DEM support. Check the history.

BUT, then again, consider that a lot of southerners were Democrats back then. They have since moved to the Republican party, I believe. I'm a conservative, but I'm trying to keep it honest here.

September 28, 2011 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  19. TheBoss

Actually, it is Cain who has has been brainwashed by the Republican into thinking they will nominate him (a black man) to be the nominee of the republican party.

September 28, 2011 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  20. Tom

This is for "ME" in an earlier post! You are a real example of a liberal as you accused the Republicans of not voting for the Civil Rights Act. Just to set the record straight! It was Al Gore Sr, Fulbright from Arkansas (Clintons idol) as well as nearly all other southern democrats who voted against the Civil Rights Act. It took the republicans from up north to pass this bill as President Johnson wasn't able to get enough democrat votes. So who are the real racists?

You may not like republicans, but stop attempting to re-write history. Democrat politicians have for decades kept a hand on top of the head of minorities and given them just enough in handouts to keep them in line. It is so unfortunate that minorities continue to believe liberals "really" care about them. THEY DON'T!

September 28, 2011 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  21. house

CAIN ....
    Remarks such as those are the reason you will never hold a high political
    office in your lifetime. You and the LONE BLACK who now sits on the SUPREME COURT
    are the product of slave share croppers and thinks within the same context in regards
    to people of color..Remember, affirmative actions were the reason you were able to
    stand on that podium in Florida.

September 28, 2011 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  22. robert smith

Cain can beat UnAble in 2012.

September 28, 2011 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  23. Bucko

Cain is right - and good for him for having the guts to come right out and speak plain. The overwhelming percentage of black voters are stupefied into thinking the ruling-class leftists are "looking out for the best interests of the black community" even as those same ruling-class leftists have a vested interest in keeping their perennial voter-bloc dependent and downtrodden. Some of these blacks vote for Democrats like it's part of their religion, and are not only misguided and beguiled, but have become utterly bigoted in their mindset.

September 28, 2011 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  24. David T

When will African Americans realize that the liberal economic policy towards minorities is designed to KEEP them at or below the poverty level? Liberals "take care" of minorities (how insulting to think they can't take care of themselves) by giving them incentives to not excel in life. As long as minorities are in governmental need, they'll keep voting for liberals. That is how they've planned it. Think hard African Americans and ask yourselves if the quality of schools and life in general in the inner cities are a product of liberalism or conservatism. Only liberalism rewards someone for not wanting to achieve success. Call it tough-love, but the conservative view is that anyone who wants to achieve their dreams can and will if they try hard enough. As a middle-class, white, conservative male, I like Herman Cain and will be voting for him in the primaries.

September 28, 2011 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  25. Josh

Let's see if you soften your opinion j u s t a little when the GOP refuses to nominate you Mr. Cain because of your color. You didn't think that really was going to happen, did you? You are in the wrong party with the wrong message...your candidacy experiment just ended buddy.

September 28, 2011 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54