Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems
September 28th, 2011

Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems

Washington (CNN) - The one African-American running for the GOP presidential nomination said Wednesday the black community was 'brainwashed' for traditionally siding with liberal politicians.

"African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being open minded, not even considering a conservative point of view," Godfather's Pizza executive Herman Cain said on CNN's "The Situation Room" in an interview airing Wednesday between 5-7 p.m. ET. "I have received some of that same vitriol simply because I am running for the Republican nomination as a conservative. So it's just brainwashing and people not being open minded, pure and simple."

Cain went on to explain that his interactions with African Americans led him to be optimistic about his own chances with the demographic.

"This whole notion that all African-Americans are not going to vote for Obama is not necessarily true," Cain said.

He continued, "I believe a third [of African-Americans] would vote for me, based on my own anecdotal feedback. Not vote for me because I'm black but because of my policies."

Cain also weighed in on the recent chatter surrounding Chris Christie, saying the recent reports the New Jersey governor is reconsidering a run for president were hurting the electorate.

"It's not insulting as much as it is a disservice to the American people," Cain said. "Chris Christie has been saying for a long time he's not interested in running. The media is trying to create a story by sucking Chris Christie into race, just like they made a story by sucking Rick Perry into the race."

Cain said the media should focus on the candidates who have already declared their candidacy to give voters a better idea of the field.

Filed under: Herman Cain • TV-The Situation Room
soundoff (1,341 Responses)
  1. Mike Baker

The ignorance of history that's on display in these comments proves Mr. Cain's point about brainwashing. It was the Republican Party under Lincoln, a Republican president, that ended slavery, not your beloved Democrats. It was the Republican Party in the 1960s that passed the Civil Rights Act, despite the all the efforts of the Democrats in congress to block it. And it was the Democrat Party's "war on poverty" welfare system started under Lyndon Johnson that has led to the destruction of the black family. The Democrat Party is America's last slave plantation, where the slaves are kept in line by black overseers like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Until blacks open their eyes to this, their lot in life will not improve.

September 29, 2011 06:40 am at 6:40 am |
  2. Facts are wrong

For those that stated the Republicans were against Kennedy's Civil Rights Act....check your facts. It was the Democrats who were mostly opposed to The Civil rights Act of 1964 and held up passage of the Act. Democrats nowadays act under the illusion of helping the poor. They really want the poor in their control. The Republicans would rather have the poor pick themselves up by their bootstraps and make something of themselves. Its pretty simple. If you are lazy and want the government to nurse you forever...vote Democrat. If you take responsibility for your life and work hard to achieve success...vote Republican.

September 29, 2011 06:43 am at 6:43 am |
  3. Adam

The President won because we wanted a different kind of politician as president, We got him now we want the old style politician back, he compromised away his 1st 3.5 years. I agree with his desire to get CONGRESS to do what they are paid well to do but, now is the time for him to kick some congressional butt. as far as Cain and his brainwashing statement, maybe it is he who is brainwashed. Why is it conservatives are only conservative when it comes to everyone else and not themselves ?

September 29, 2011 06:46 am at 6:46 am |
  4. White Man

The numbers of Democrats who are black, is proof that the Democratic Party is really what it was founded for: A Party for Southern plantation owners, to oversee the proper utilization of former slave populations, in order to further the economic growth of pre-Civil War landowners' families, and to develop the economic base for Jewish resources.

September 29, 2011 06:46 am at 6:46 am |
  5. Dave

Right On Mr Cain, tell it like IT IS!..............truth hurts, don't it people!

September 29, 2011 06:48 am at 6:48 am |
  6. Jerry

Hey "The RNC" what do you mean the DNC "serves the people"? Like The to big to fail banks? Or General Electric? Or Solyndra? Yea right

September 29, 2011 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  7. Can't help it

I just can't help but comment on this! Reading through some of these posts, I found one post by someone claiming to be a Black American that said the following about Republicans:

"They were against the Civil Rights act"

Well, that is historically inaccurate. The Republicans in both the House and the Senate in the 60's supported the Civil rights act. It was the majority of Democrats who opposed it. The only reason Democrats get credit for it is because LBJ signed it into law. Also – this is a fact – Martin Luther King Jr. was a registered Republican. Look it up. If you are going to spout this stuff off without having your history straight, then surely you are brainwashed. I don't care what side of the isle you support, but have your facts and history straight before you run your mouth on specific issues.

September 29, 2011 06:54 am at 6:54 am |
  8. Diane

Cain should stop by the Fox News Blogs once in a while to read the vicious and blatant racism from some of the right wing. They used to hide the racist aspect but don't bother anymore. Of course all of the right wing is not racist, but you won't find that much of the nasty stuff on any other news blogs.

September 29, 2011 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  9. CainIsRight

Just about EVERY African American that I have talked too, makes a big deal out of 0bama being the 1st AA President. I asked them what are his policies that you like so much? Most give that same line we saw on TV, free this free that. Never have to work again, he's going to take care of us. If that isn't brainwashing and NOT thinking, I don't know what is. The AA's that don't agree with 0bama's policies told me that if they didn't vote for him, there would have been he11 to pay from their community, so they went ahead and voted for him anyway.
    You watch too, when his poll numbers tank even worse than now, he'll bring up the race card. And if he loses, the Dems will throw the race card big time. It's not about his race, it's about his policies that are destroying this country.

September 29, 2011 07:00 am at 7:00 am |
  10. Ben

Read a little history. It was the Dems opposed to the Civil Rights Act. Republicans got it passed. Lincoln a Republican. I guess if Cain had said "moove-meent" a couple of time most black folk would like him more. Maybe he needs to get some preacher speaking training. How's that unemployment working for black folk under Dumb-Bo

September 29, 2011 07:02 am at 7:02 am |
  11. Jason

I see a consistent misconception in these comments. Those siting specific examples each use CRA 64 as the measure for not supporting republicans. I guess you were not aware that not one single Republican voted against the act right? I wonder what party had members who did vote against it. Another common theme in the comments is that the Republicans are only for the rich corporations and want to cut their rich white taxes. Corporations don't really pay taxes. They create and sell a product. Guess what is incorporated into the cost of the product-taxes. Consumers pay corporate taxes on each item they purchase. I haven't met a poor person yet that created a job, so keep on trying to milk the achievers. You will be in your same pitiful predicament and they will have adjusted and continued to succeed.

September 29, 2011 07:02 am at 7:02 am |
  12. StandForTruth

Abraham Lincoln was Republican
    Frederick Douglas was Republican
    Martin Luther King was Republican
    Martin Luther King's daughter Bernice King DID NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA

September 29, 2011 07:03 am at 7:03 am |
  13. It's not Brainwashing

because most of the bl@ck community is suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. Once they realize it's freedom once they leave the democratic party it'll be the beginning of the end for the commies.

September 29, 2011 07:13 am at 7:13 am |
  14. Keldorama

If I really believed that someone who looked like me would solve all my problems, I would've voted for Hillary Clinton. Herman Cain is the GOP's Flavor of the Week. Nothing more. Next debate it will be someone else.

September 29, 2011 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  15. Rick

I want Cain to be the nominee because he is genuine and conservative. I am not too concern about his foreign policy, he can surround himself with good people. I want him because he can have a positive impact on fixing our economy. His 9-9-9 plan is something that is simple and will work.

September 29, 2011 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  16. mike proctor

I wish nothing but the best for Mr Cain but to insult the African Americans is why they look the other way when republicans walk toward them. President Obama was voted into office by the majority because he has a plan and I understood that plan and that why I will vote for him again in 2012 so he can complete that plan for America,OH,I'M NOT BLACK, so you see TruthYOUR COMMENT DOES NOT HOLD WATER,just check out the last WHITE Presidents and see how many of them IQ is any where close to this President,that why people voted for this man. Oh, Doug I have one!!!! President Obama,thank you!

September 29, 2011 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  17. Jamima

Call a spade a spade.

September 29, 2011 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  18. JimM57

I'll play a little Morgan Freeman, Janeane Garofalo game here, ready, all of the comments negative towards Mr. Cain posted here are from RACISTS, or self hating Blacks. You see we can turn your ignorant rant into a racial issue just as you have for the past two years in supporting this feckless man that is occupying the White House.

September 29, 2011 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  19. littleteapot

I'm a liberal and this is dead on. White people are finally STARTING to realize the the democratic party is mostly a bunch of greedy, selfish political cronies in disguise as progressives, its about time black people did too. Obama did a ton to help blacks and the urban poor before he went into office. Now he would sell them down the road for a buck fifty.

September 29, 2011 07:27 am at 7:27 am |
  20. CK

The FACT that soooo many ppl on this board (black and white) still believe the dems fought for civil rights proves Herman's point.. Stop being uneducated and look up your history folks.. The Dems have historically fought AGAINST the freedoms of blacks and women.. FACT: The repubs are the reason you're allowed to vote and have the freedoms you do. The dem president at the time was on the side of the repubs. Look it up for yourselves.. And while you're at it, look up which party has had more control of congress and the senate over the better part of 50 years, DEMS. How have decades and decades of dem control affected the minority population?

September 29, 2011 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  21. Sarah

I don't understand all the crowing that "Republicans don't do anything for blacks." Remind me again, what has Obama done for blacks? Because last I heard, unemployment for blacks was about the highest it's ever been. I guess if you mean that Obama promotes undeserved welfare handouts and class warfare, rather than actually lowering taxes and regulations on business so that they will hire more (like Republicans do), then I guess Obama is definitely helping blacks. Republican policies put people back to work, and making blacks work rather than get welfare seems "cold hearted." Cain can finally come out and call on the 95% of blacks who vote democrat, without being called a "racist". Tell me, was Obama judged by the "content of his character and not the color of his skin" when 95% of blacks voted him into office?

September 29, 2011 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  22. Obamanation

Someone near the top of the page declared themselves a "AA" stated... "name one thing the Republicans have done"...
    How about Free The Slaves and grant equal rights to Black people despite every attempt from the democrats to stop them.

September 29, 2011 07:31 am at 7:31 am |
  23. dudefromdixie

This one is going to be difficult to predict. I like Mr Cain and believe he has loads of character and determiniation. I also like a lot of what he is saying policy wise. I don't think, though, that he will win a significant portion of the black vote. The vast majority of blacks will probably not even know who he is, since he is running on the GOP ticket. He predicts 1/3 of the black vote. I think it will be more like 1/10 or less because that is about the percentage of blacks that have enough sense to understand what his message is and to realize that there is even a black candidate running as a republican. I also think that 1/100 of the black vote and probably 1/10 of the white vote even know what GOP stands for. So when they hear Cain and GOP in the same sentence they will not know what that means. Most of Obama's black votes will not be turning out for the next election. The hype around the man is gone. The blacks are still poor and uneducated. Obama didn't help them. They have lost interest and the novelty of a black president has worn off.

September 29, 2011 07:31 am at 7:31 am |
  24. JustMe

Brainwashed? Is he serious? Just because you're a person of color, HC, doesn't mean that other people of color will automatically vote for you. Despite what he and others like him say, that is not the only reason they voted for Obama. They also voted for him because he was a Democrat and Democrats serve their interest, Republicans do not. Yes, there were some who didn't usually vote, but because he was a person of color wasn't the reason. That may have been the factor that ultimately got them out the door, but I guarantee you if match two people of color (one from each party) against each other, the majority of African American's will vote for the Democrat. It's just in their best interest and they know that. And to anyone that says that is ignorant, are you trying to tell me that YOU don't vote for your BEST INTEREST?

September 29, 2011 07:33 am at 7:33 am |
  25. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Tap dancing for the teabaggers won't help Cain. Rick Bush and Romney have washed him away

September 29, 2011 07:35 am at 7:35 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54