Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems
September 28th, 2011

Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems

Washington (CNN) - The one African-American running for the GOP presidential nomination said Wednesday the black community was 'brainwashed' for traditionally siding with liberal politicians.

"African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being open minded, not even considering a conservative point of view," Godfather's Pizza executive Herman Cain said on CNN's "The Situation Room" in an interview airing Wednesday between 5-7 p.m. ET. "I have received some of that same vitriol simply because I am running for the Republican nomination as a conservative. So it's just brainwashing and people not being open minded, pure and simple."

Cain went on to explain that his interactions with African Americans led him to be optimistic about his own chances with the demographic.

"This whole notion that all African-Americans are not going to vote for Obama is not necessarily true," Cain said.

He continued, "I believe a third [of African-Americans] would vote for me, based on my own anecdotal feedback. Not vote for me because I'm black but because of my policies."

Cain also weighed in on the recent chatter surrounding Chris Christie, saying the recent reports the New Jersey governor is reconsidering a run for president were hurting the electorate.

"It's not insulting as much as it is a disservice to the American people," Cain said. "Chris Christie has been saying for a long time he's not interested in running. The media is trying to create a story by sucking Chris Christie into race, just like they made a story by sucking Rick Perry into the race."

Cain said the media should focus on the candidates who have already declared their candidacy to give voters a better idea of the field.

Filed under: Herman Cain • TV-The Situation Room
soundoff (1,341 Responses)
  1. Sal

Mr Cain is a man who has been given challenges in corporate America and has been successful beyond expectations.
    I believe he speaks directly and plainly to the electorate and it is starting to be reflected in the polls. He is still a long shot but it is entirely possible he may be the nominee. I think I will vote for him. If anything a contest between two black candidates will take the race factor out of the election and put it back on policy. A President Cain could do more to
    improve race relations than Obama's divisive policies have.

September 29, 2011 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  2. Anonymous

How insulting that Cain makes a sweeping generalization about black people–as someone pointed out earlier–people vote their interests. When Republicans were concerned with the interests of blacks –blacks voted for Republicans, the party of Lincoln–it was when the Republican party made a big shift in ideology and the Democratic party began to stand up for civil rights that blacks began to vote democratic. Since that time, during the 60s, the Republican Party has done nothing but prove that they care about nothing but the rich and big corporations–so please tell me why African Americans would get behind a Republican candidate.

And to address the writer that says that African Americans voted for Obama because he is Black, despite the fact that African Americans voted for Clinton in two elections despite him being white–then if that is true why are African Americans lining up behind Herman Cain who is black?

September 29, 2011 07:59 am at 7:59 am |
  3. The Truth Serum

Most of the liberal Democrats posting on this board are delusional at best, or evil at worst. I've never encountered such vitriol and hatred before. Herman Cain appears to be a righteous, charismatic man. Exacltly what this country needs right now. Furthermore, he is a success in life. Some of you folks who are living in your mom's basement appear to be (at least by your words) total losers. You Democrats like to grade people by the color of their skin or their success, or lack of. We Conservatives view everyone as equal. The only thing holding us back is our own willingness to take a chance in life. You Democrats are too afraid to take a chance. Instead you would rather deride someone who does, and then steal their wealth or ideals and declare them your own. Democrats are losers. Complete and total losers!

September 29, 2011 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  4. i'm your puppet

Stupid logic befuddles me. So….ignorant people (Mr. Cain I shall address you in a second) if black people voted for Obama because he is black as you so claim, then based on your logic, white people have been voting for white presidential candidates for years because they are white… right? Do me a favor and think before you type. Please don’t post your baseless research from an 80-90 year old woman who did a TV interview. Also, don’t assume “the state of the black community” is what you see on TV. Quite frankly I find Cain’s statement appalling (yes Mr. Cain I’m address you now). If you think that “most” black people are not smart enough to dig deeper into what is essential misguided and nonfactual rhetoric that ALL presidential hopefuls use to hopefully sway those not willing to do the research, then you are completely out of touch with the black community (sorry we don’t drink the kool-aid here). Then again I’m sure you assume the black community is centrally located in “the hood”. Mr. Cain you are welcome to my “hood” any day…oh that’s right GOP candidate do speak in black communities. I understand why…you could come out brainwashed by educated black people.

September 29, 2011 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  5. yesorno

Cain is brainwash to think the GOP will ever nomination him for their party. The straw poll do mean jack. He is a fool to think he is respected by the GOP. A lot of people vote for people because of race. Obama was not the first black to run for office and will not be the last. So you loser needs to stop whining. 2016 will be the first hispanic and women president, Yes!

September 29, 2011 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  6. Mark In Mississippi

Ture! If you disagree hold your own poll and as one hundred blacks why they are dems. Specifically as them what part of the dems platform they support. I did this and got "because dey good for the poor people" and "dey are for da poor." Just once I would like to hear a response that I can first understand and secondly has just one simple fact that tells me that they have at least an 8th grade understanding of the policies of the dem party other than "dey be four us."

September 29, 2011 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  7. George

All you that are saying republicans do nothing for this country, your boy Obama really helped out now didn't he...

September 29, 2011 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  8. billd

David is right – check YAHOO for a "fact check" on who pays how much. You might be surprised. And if you have investments, you, too, pay a lower rate on certain investments. WAGES, the rich actually pay more.
    Check your facts, don't go repeating the same old tired us vs. them garbage.

September 29, 2011 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  9. Anonymous

Now let me try and understand exactly what Mr. Cain is espousing. If I am Black and I don't agree with his politics, religion, or anything else then I must be brain washed. LOL! Damn I am glad he made me realize it.

September 29, 2011 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  10. Vinny

All of you that think the Dems are the only ones on your side, I ask you to look back through history and seriously & honstly take a look at which party it was that tried to keep you down. You will find it was the DEMOCRAT party that supported keeping slavery, the DEMOCRAT party fought against the civil rights, the DEMOCRATS have done their best to keep you under their boot heels. Go look for yourselves!!! The truth will astonish you!!! If you aren't willing to do that then you are indeed brainwashed!!!

September 29, 2011 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  11. Mitch

I really believe this idiot has eaten too many of those Godfather pizzas. He is an alumnus of the same college that I attended. Along with Martin Luther King, Maynard Jackson, Samuel Jackson, Spike Lee, etc.....I would bet my house, my wife and my kids that he would not get a rise or a vote from either of these great African Americans. Are they also brainwashed?

September 29, 2011 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  12. Aucausin

Well, when arguing with conservative minded people I got into an argument over the discrimination and segregation that was happening less than a decade ago in the country. It seems like some of those people thought that we shouldn't have had the Civil Right's Act because it infringed on the business' rights to discriminate. Yet they are anti affirmative action, go figure. So no I have not been "brainwashed" into voting for the democrats. I just plain don't like the ultra-conservative super Christian, anti-anything not "average" and "normal" GOP view point.

September 29, 2011 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  13. lvh

I really don't know what obama has in common with some African-Americans beside his color.
    He wasn't raised in the inner city, in a ghetto. He didn't live in poverty. Many of he childhood years were spent out
    of the country.
    What experiences do they share?

September 29, 2011 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  14. NoMoreObama

What exactly has Barack Hussein Obama done to help the black community? Jobs – I don't think so. Race relations? He plays the race card every chance he gets. Almost every large city in this country is governed by dems and what have they done to the blacks living in ghettos? Nothing. If you ask me, the democrats are the real modern day slave owners who brainwash blacks into voting for them by using scare tactics and class warfare. Its time someone like Herman Cain spoke out against this tyranny!!!

September 29, 2011 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  15. Victoria

I am really tired of conservatives telling us liberals that we cannot think for ourselves. Being a free thinker is a big reason your a liberal in the 1st place. We see all points of view. The conservatives are the ones who are brainwashed, brainwashed by corporations. We liberals are a modertate, free thinking and most importantly CARING people. If at the debates when people cheered death and Boo at a gay soldier, if that was a dem debate I highly doubt the candidates as possible future commander in chief of the armed forces and as a leader of our nation, would have not spoke up and told those people it was wrong to react that way. Liberals cae about people conservatives care about their money. Plain and simple

September 29, 2011 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  16. Dr. C

For those saying Republicans always vote against minorities and use the Civil Rights act as an example, of the 420 members who voted, 290 supported the civil rights bill and 130 opposed it. Republicans favored the bill 138 to 34; Democrats supported it 152-96. Short memories for those who think Democrats have somehow always been the friend of minorities. Bull Connor was a Democrat....

September 29, 2011 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  17. Democrap

Blacks vote for Democraps because they think they'll get something out of it. Democrap leaders tell black voters vote for us and we will take care of you. It's called Economic slavery.

September 29, 2011 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  18. Anthony

Obama did not win singlehandly by the African-American vote! Demographically African-Americans are not a large majority so he had to obtain votes from Whites and other ethnic groups. Cain will never be the Republican nominee for President and he knows it!

September 29, 2011 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  19. mike

good strategy Herman...tell a whole race that they are brainwashed.

September 29, 2011 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  20. Riddel

Cain has credibility because he has first hand experience with being brain washed.

September 29, 2011 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  21. JBA

Brain washing is alive and thrieving for the last 50 years in the city Detroit. No where in America is there a better example of what Cain is addressing. He is right on the money. But so what? this is a land of free choice?
    Praise all you want about what the party has done for you but don't criticize what the other has not when they have never had a chance to be in power (like Detroit).
    Anti Cain/Conservatives all sound like whiners and never address the truth.
    I for one will listen to Cain and all the candadtes along with Obama and make my decision next year.

September 29, 2011 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  22. Debbie

One of you said that the GOP was fighting the civil rights act. Pull you head out of your a**, open a history book and learn the truth. If you still can't find it then Cain is right, you are not only brainwashed but not living in reality. The Dem cities (that means run by DEMS) are in shambles. That is all their doing. Detroit, Newark, Los Angeles, and 10's of others haven't seen Republican local leadership in decades. What woudl a minority know of conservative positions if for all intents and purposes, they've never heard them nor lived them.

September 29, 2011 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  23. Trevor

Of course Blacks and other minorites love voting for Democrats, democrats will legally steal money from the middle class to give to them, free of charge. Hence why they love illegals, cheaper votes. Liberals only care about winning elections and getting power for themselves and none for the people. They love telling you want YOU need and should do, because freedom is too hard for Americans and the government is our mommy and knows what's best for us. So the more people they can buy off and brainwash into thinking they are voting for good the better.

And to the person early on who said the GOP was against the Civil Rights, he needs to go back and read history and not the Democrats 1984'd story of it.

September 29, 2011 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  24. Bob R., Lanham, Maryland

And by the way, EDUCATION is the only path for normally hard-working poor people, (black, white, yellow, red....) to get themselves out of the welfare rut – but they gotta eat too! Education of the poor scares the rich and wealthy for that very-working poor people reason. It is because hard-working poor people are becomming educated that weathy corporations have moved manufacturing to poor nations where the manufacturers can have their way with the uneducated.

September 29, 2011 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  25. Anonymous

This is like a mass "Stockholm Syndrome" where the captives take on the beliefs of their captors. It's illogical and sad that many blacks continue to vote Democrat despite generations of abuse, neglect and social engineering that have done them lasting harm. Cain is an optimist, it's worse than he says.

September 29, 2011 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54