Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems
September 28th, 2011

Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems

Washington (CNN) - The one African-American running for the GOP presidential nomination said Wednesday the black community was 'brainwashed' for traditionally siding with liberal politicians.

"African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being open minded, not even considering a conservative point of view," Godfather's Pizza executive Herman Cain said on CNN's "The Situation Room" in an interview airing Wednesday between 5-7 p.m. ET. "I have received some of that same vitriol simply because I am running for the Republican nomination as a conservative. So it's just brainwashing and people not being open minded, pure and simple."

Cain went on to explain that his interactions with African Americans led him to be optimistic about his own chances with the demographic.

"This whole notion that all African-Americans are not going to vote for Obama is not necessarily true," Cain said.

He continued, "I believe a third [of African-Americans] would vote for me, based on my own anecdotal feedback. Not vote for me because I'm black but because of my policies."

Cain also weighed in on the recent chatter surrounding Chris Christie, saying the recent reports the New Jersey governor is reconsidering a run for president were hurting the electorate.

"It's not insulting as much as it is a disservice to the American people," Cain said. "Chris Christie has been saying for a long time he's not interested in running. The media is trying to create a story by sucking Chris Christie into race, just like they made a story by sucking Rick Perry into the race."

Cain said the media should focus on the candidates who have already declared their candidacy to give voters a better idea of the field.

Filed under: Herman Cain • TV-The Situation Room
soundoff (1,341 Responses)
  1. Reality Check

Are blacks better off under Obama than Bush? No, so how can the many Democrats state that Blacks are better served by the Democratic Party? The facts don't support such.

September 29, 2011 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  2. Beth

When will this guy wake up? He is not going to get the GOP nom. Just not going to happen with that crowd. EVEN with the remote, highly outside chance the Republicans could ever put aside their bigotry, which I have not seen THAT in my lifetime, and got the nom, Cain just LOST the black vote in the general. I'm not black. I'm Independent, but I know now I'd never vote for this guy.

September 29, 2011 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  3. Shawn

10% of America out of work, 400k more per week. Democrats are killing us slowly, but hey at least they are trying right Dem's? I mean, what more could we ask of you. Your Grand utopia will never happen but you tried, and in so doing killed the greatest country on earth with your psychobabble and rediculous belief system, wait, you have no beliefs outside of a selfish belief someone else should pay your way. What a joke.

September 29, 2011 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  4. uber

T'sah from Virginia,
    You think I don't think Cain can win the presidency? Then why am I sending him my money? Because I just like to waste the little bit I earn (just under minimum wage after taxes) running my own business 50-70 hours/week? Get a clue.

September 29, 2011 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  5. sardukar

Open minded and Republican...yea thats a new one..

September 29, 2011 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  6. BarrysHypocrisy

This guy speaks the truth. The funny thing is, if ANY other candidate would have said this exact statement, the liberals would have IMMEDIATELY labeled them a racist. Don't worry though, I'm sure that Sharpton and Jackson will be along any minute to call him an Uncle Tom and a race traitor.

September 29, 2011 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  7. jjamerb

I guess black have forgoten that is was a republican president who freed the slaves, it was the republicans who helped LBJ get the civil rights act passed (dems were against it), and even MLK was a republican. I guess all the free hand outs from the dems to keep them under the thumb of the liberals have indeed brainwashed them.

September 29, 2011 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  8. Scott

Who freed the slaves? Lincoln and he was a conservative. Who was fighting for the Blacks to stand up and be self sufficient and stop destroying their own? MLK and he was a conservative. The Democrats came from the south and in the civil war they were fighting the north or the conservatives who said slavery was wrong. The only group who has legitimately helped minorities and others is the conservatives. Get the facts straight or go the f away.

September 29, 2011 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  9. Waldobinney

I figured out why-If you wait long enough it will be far back enough in the comments that no one will see it. That's why CNN will not get any respect from me as a unbiased souce of information. Goodbye !

September 29, 2011 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  10. R2D2

The very definition of a LIBERAL includes total lack of open mindedness AND tolerance. You are all a bunch of lemmings.

Cain vs. Un-Able :-)

September 29, 2011 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  11. catwill

I hear Mr Cain but the reason that most afro americans vote democratic is because the party is more "democratic." It is okay to be for a cause and not consider yourself being used by a party because it is a "choice." Mr Cain himself is using the same old tired argument that the GOP/Ts use to try and alienate the black people from using their right to chose without excuses the party of their choice. Respectfully I disagree with you Mr Cain.

September 29, 2011 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  12. onehappyguy

"Nobody motivates today's workers. If it doesn't come from within, it doesn't come. Fun helps remove the barriers that allow people to motivate themselves." Herman Cain

"Take off your bedroom slippers, put on your marching shoes. Shake it off. Stop complaining, stop grumbling, stop crying." President Obama

These two quotes give me all the information I need. Cain 2012!!

September 29, 2011 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  13. Tony

Black people are not brainwashed. They are rational in choosing not to support the Republican party that, since Nixon, has shown no interest in helping black people.

September 29, 2011 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  14. Dems are Racist

Most Dems and Blacks for that matter; have no Idea that the Democrats were the ones that did not want to end slavery and blocked all the civil rights bills up to the late 60’s. They only changed then, because they started seeing the black man as a vote instead of a useless slave.

It hasnt changed today. The dems ask the black community "what can I do to keep your vote" Once my fellow brothers realize that the dems do not control their destiny, we just might see the tides change.

September 29, 2011 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  15. pchsbenz

So what about the poor white communities in the south that constantly vote Republican?

September 29, 2011 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  16. Scott

Someone explain to me how welfare and affirmative action have helped anyone in the long term.

September 29, 2011 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  17. dbld

The Truth Has No Agenda

September 29, 2011 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  18. jake1969

There's pretty much nothing more insulting than telling somoene who doesn't agree with you they are "brainwashed." That automatically implies you think you are smarter so anyone who disagrees with you is "brainwashed." A democrat could just as easily make the same argument towards rural white voters who vote overwhelmingly republican (as I'm sure they have).

September 29, 2011 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  19. RemeberWhen

Wasn't Abe Lincoln a REPUBLICAN? I kinda remember him doing a thing or two for the black community a few years back. Just sayin'.....

September 29, 2011 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  20. Caldude612

Liberal's worst nightmare, a successful conservative black American.

September 29, 2011 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  21. d

Well...after coming off a bump for the tax hustle...Country Cain comes up with a Doozy! Well judging by the comments Mr. Cain, if you had a chance at getting the 'Black' vote (which doesnt exist by the way..we are not a monolithic block) seems you effectively killed that in one sound bite...you need to get to a doctor to get the buckshot out of your foot Mr Cain!

September 29, 2011 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  22. jake1969

And to those who keep pointing to southern democrats opposing the Civil Rights Act - guess what, they've flipped to the Republicans over the last 4 or 5 decades. That's common knowledge. And it's why the south is now heavily republican.

September 29, 2011 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  23. ed galbraith

Cain is a Republican for the same reason Clarence Thomas is. You pay a big price in terms of honesty, but you get to stand in the short line.

September 29, 2011 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  24. Caldude612

Liberal's worst nightmare, a successful conservative bl@ck American.

September 29, 2011 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  25. R2D2

It never ceases to amaze me to see how liberals argue w/ emotion and name calling, yet conservatives argue w/ logic and articulate responses to make their cases. The last few posts were brilliantly made in Herman Cain's defense. I applaud you. You explained it very well and so succinctly.

"They tell me you don't know how Washington works. Yes I do. It doesn't" - Herman Cain

Cain vs. Un-Able

September 29, 2011 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54