Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems
September 28th, 2011

Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems

Washington (CNN) - The one African-American running for the GOP presidential nomination said Wednesday the black community was 'brainwashed' for traditionally siding with liberal politicians.

"African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being open minded, not even considering a conservative point of view," Godfather's Pizza executive Herman Cain said on CNN's "The Situation Room" in an interview airing Wednesday between 5-7 p.m. ET. "I have received some of that same vitriol simply because I am running for the Republican nomination as a conservative. So it's just brainwashing and people not being open minded, pure and simple."

Cain went on to explain that his interactions with African Americans led him to be optimistic about his own chances with the demographic.

"This whole notion that all African-Americans are not going to vote for Obama is not necessarily true," Cain said.

He continued, "I believe a third [of African-Americans] would vote for me, based on my own anecdotal feedback. Not vote for me because I'm black but because of my policies."

Cain also weighed in on the recent chatter surrounding Chris Christie, saying the recent reports the New Jersey governor is reconsidering a run for president were hurting the electorate.

"It's not insulting as much as it is a disservice to the American people," Cain said. "Chris Christie has been saying for a long time he's not interested in running. The media is trying to create a story by sucking Chris Christie into race, just like they made a story by sucking Rick Perry into the race."

Cain said the media should focus on the candidates who have already declared their candidacy to give voters a better idea of the field.

Filed under: Herman Cain • TV-The Situation Room
soundoff (1,341 Responses)
  1. JDOG

Wow, the libtards are out in force on this one....but then again this is a CNN site which is home to the libtards. Too bad the libtard message only reaches a small portion of dumb a55e5 in America. LOL! LONG LIVE FOX AND THE CONSERVATIVE MOVEMENT! WE ARE GOING TO SAVE AMERICA! Keep on keepin on MR. Cain!

September 29, 2011 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  2. SmarterThanYou

Correction: "Anyone voting for liberal politicians is 'brainwashed.'"

September 29, 2011 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  3. Americaneedsrealists

Some of you are really just as Cain states. You are referring to republicans as like the old south, racist, plantation owners, etc. Actually the Democrats are just perpetuating the oppression through the use ofd welfare and entiotlements. They have no intention of helping the less fortunate find a job because they need their vote so they make sure they think the Dems are the only ones that will keep them on the dole when what trhey need is a way to train themselves for a viable job.

September 29, 2011 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  4. Dominican mama 4 Obama

In other words: Please STOP trying to equate the Republicans of yore with the ReTeatards of today. MLK, Lincoln,and all the other "great" Republicans that you're all citing and quoting are spinning, S-P-I-N-N-I-N-G in their graves as they see what their Party has become and who has taken over it.

September 29, 2011 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  5. Will

A lot of deluded commenters here. Cain and the GOP aren't anti-minority, anti-women or any of the other crapola I see spewed here. It is about self-reliance and hard work. "Brain-washed" may be the wrong word. I prefer to think that many minorities and special interests have been "bought and paid for" by the Dems. As long as these groups choose to remain the chattle of liberals, they are owned by the DNC.

September 29, 2011 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  6. Mike

Rudy NYC you might want to brush up on your American history because most of those were opposed by democrats.

September 29, 2011 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  7. AC

Mark in Miss. that might be your response in your area, but there is a little more history than what you recieved from people. Remember the entire South was at one point Democrats, slowly changed by racist people like you and your family and alot of whites who are ignorant. The TEA BAGGERS for example are Racist because they want the Black Man out. Really, Cain will not be elected, because of the RACE issue. I am sure he's smart, articulate etc., however, with white republicans like you, he will never ever be President. So much for your comments!

September 29, 2011 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

If Reagan had been a ReTeatard he woudln't have gotten my vote.

September 29, 2011 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  9. Americaneedsrealists

Revisionist history is alive and well here I see. The repubs for the most part actually voted for the civil rights act and the democrats especially the southern ones voted against it.

September 29, 2011 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  10. iroshi

Does he really believe that people are not intelligent enough to decide how they want to vote and who they want to vote for? His statement should be considered insulting.

September 29, 2011 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  11. "Y"

Cain stick to what you know...I like my pizza with extra pepperoni and cheese!

September 29, 2011 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  12. Libragirl

CAIN, IS READY FOR HIS PICNIC. Cain & that African American SPOTted amongst the tea party/RNC debate, applauding his hands off, brainless head topped w/ a cowboy hat were both dropped on the floor when they were infants.

September 29, 2011 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  13. Jazz

So his way of getting African American's to vote for him or side with him is by telling them that they basically are weak minded and can't think for themselves...hummm...probably not going to work. What about all the other races who are democrats? What's their excuse. Herman Cain, stick to pizza. Vote how you wanna vote but don't criticize folks just because they wont side with you. There are lots of African American republican and lots that are democrats. Its all in what you believe in and which party has your best interest at hand. We're a lot smarter than you think buddy.

September 29, 2011 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  14. Andrew

Regardless of your political affiliation....
    I think it's frightening that people can claim to know so much about me just because of the amount of melanin in my skin. I'm not a conservative but it's not for the reasons that Herman Cain and Jim Clyburn claim.

September 29, 2011 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  15. Matt

These comments are funny. All I read is liberal brainwashing. GOP bad, liberal good. Really? I libe in Ca, and the liberals have destroyed this state. We're broke and over-run with liberal handouts. They punish people for achieving so theycan take what other people earn. That's the left in America today – socialists who won't work, but demand the tidings of others. Cain is true American – hard worker, intelligent, not like the lazy left. Gimmie gimmie gimmie, eh lefty?

September 29, 2011 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  16. RW

It’s still sad to see that liberals continue to use emotion to make their point instead of hard facts. I suggest that most of you need to read your history books again and discover who initiated the Civil Rights Act. It was not a democrat; it was a republican by the name of Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1957. It was opposed by democratically controlled Senate. From reading most of the comments I must agree that liberals are brain-washed because not one comment on this page was formed with any hard facts. When a liberal is faced with facts they resort to name calling.

September 29, 2011 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  17. psumba

I'm voting for Herman Cain because his life perspectives are much the same as mine. Once, I wanted to run for POTUS ... until I realized what was involved. Most of his views are similar to mine ... and I think that he will make many of the same decisions that I would if I were in office!

The last thing that we need in Washington is one more lawyer!

September 29, 2011 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  18. Kevin

Mr. Cain,
    I cannot speak for all black people. But my experience with Trusting the GOP to look out for me and my community’s Interest
    Has been a COMPLETE FAILURE....

September 29, 2011 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  19. Rudy NYC

Last comment from me. Lot's of comments on both sides that makes sense and some that don't. I will leave you with this parting shot, though.

Today, it's better to be brainwashed into voting Democratic, than being bamboozled into voting Republican.

September 29, 2011 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  20. no1atall

Cain says: "Blacks are brainwashed"; Cons say: "you're right". Cain says: "Blacks are voting against their own interests"; Repubs say: absolutely! Cain says: "Blacks are stupid"; Repubs say: Right On!!! Cain says: "vote for me for the Republican Nomination"; Repubs say: Huh?

September 29, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  21. people who work vs people who don't

I was raised to not trust lawyers/attorneys and gee, what has the Democrats put in office? Obama, Clinton.....
    The Republicans have put in office people who actually have had to work for a living or at least held a job with some responsibility – something in common with the majority of people in this country.

Seems to me, we need to quit putting people in office who know the law and elect people who have had to work for something in their life. Practical experience folks is the only thing that is going to get us out of this mess.....Cain has it.

September 29, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  22. The Templar

you've all haven't over thrown your government yet, for shame. Over throw them now it's time for a true change. For the sake of your people!

September 29, 2011 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  23. BD70

What about conservative is being open minded? Its base policy not to be inflicted as a whole policy. That is why it is good to have a few conservatives in congress. They temper or are suppose to balance out the public side (democrat) of things. Not squash it.

September 29, 2011 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  24. 12-21-12

As a so-called "black" person, I am now convinced that I should vote republican. Trickle down/Voodoo economics probably will work one day! Maybe it would be better if Issa/Ross/McCain did lay me off and privatize the USPS. My boy Obama wants to return the money congress stole from the post office...what a dumb idea! And I sincerely apologize for using too many "dems" and "deys" and all the other eubonics "you guys" think every black person uses!

September 29, 2011 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  25. Max in NY

Cain you are so right. I mean Democrats were definitely the one's opposing de-segregation and the civil rights act...oh wait...

September 29, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54