Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems
September 28th, 2011

Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems

Washington (CNN) - The one African-American running for the GOP presidential nomination said Wednesday the black community was 'brainwashed' for traditionally siding with liberal politicians.

"African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being open minded, not even considering a conservative point of view," Godfather's Pizza executive Herman Cain said on CNN's "The Situation Room" in an interview airing Wednesday between 5-7 p.m. ET. "I have received some of that same vitriol simply because I am running for the Republican nomination as a conservative. So it's just brainwashing and people not being open minded, pure and simple."

Cain went on to explain that his interactions with African Americans led him to be optimistic about his own chances with the demographic.

"This whole notion that all African-Americans are not going to vote for Obama is not necessarily true," Cain said.

He continued, "I believe a third [of African-Americans] would vote for me, based on my own anecdotal feedback. Not vote for me because I'm black but because of my policies."

Cain also weighed in on the recent chatter surrounding Chris Christie, saying the recent reports the New Jersey governor is reconsidering a run for president were hurting the electorate.

"It's not insulting as much as it is a disservice to the American people," Cain said. "Chris Christie has been saying for a long time he's not interested in running. The media is trying to create a story by sucking Chris Christie into race, just like they made a story by sucking Rick Perry into the race."

Cain said the media should focus on the candidates who have already declared their candidacy to give voters a better idea of the field.

Filed under: Herman Cain • TV-The Situation Room
soundoff (1,341 Responses)
  1. Rob. T.

Mr. Cain,Mr.Cain. Brainwashed ? well I cant speak for African Americans but myself a Black American Male to be brainwashed is a good thing from where I sit you see for every brainwashed person thats one less Grand O' Vote for the G O P . Brainwashed we may be but we still know who we are do you

September 29, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  2. Guiseppe

As a black ind. voter..I chose neither Rp. or Dem. I like somethings liberal and somethings conservative. As blacks we vote Dem because or parents did during the Kennedy/Johnson years. That time is over. Cain is right we need to see with our own eyes..what if Clinton was a Rep. I like Some Rep. and some I don't like (Cantor). I like some Dems and some I don't like (Pelosi) reguardless we need to be more open and proactive.

September 29, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  3. jack atheth

look at herman cain's story on wikipedia. should be very inspiring to any underprivileged person of any color. (please everyone get off the "race" track.)

September 29, 2011 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  4. random from Texas

I challenge one black person, who currently isn't on welfare, who currently pays taxes, and who actually voted in the last two elections, to argue against the GOP with facts, not the typical uneducated, "GOP hate people and love companies" jargon. Who do you think hires the majority of you idiots?? The government? No! It's the companies and businesses. For the love of God, people, get an education!

September 29, 2011 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  5. Tea Party For Cain!!! Cain / Rubio 2012

Right on!!!! A white man could never say it because of the racists on the other side, but you my bro can!!!!! Yes we CAIN!!!!

CAIN IS ABLE!!!!! CAIN VS. UNABLE!!!!!!

Kudos!!!!!! Yeah-- hahaha !!!! GOODBYE DEMS!!!!! GOODBYE OBAMA!!!!!!!!! LMAO 150% support for HERMAN CAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 29, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  6. no1atall

Every time a Black Republican talks bad about the Black community, right wing Whites trumpet how 'right' he is. Alan Keys was 'right', J C Watts was 'right', Bill Cosby was 'right', Michael Steele was 'right'. But they never win the Republican offices if/when they ran for them. They never WON. Now Herman Cain is 'right'. He won't win either because he has already served his purpose: to put a Black face on a white right wing agenda. And for all the neo-racists trying as we speak to re-write history: Lincoln, Byrd, etc are dead. We are not voting for the Presidency of the US for 1860, 1920, or 1950. We will be voting for the President of the United States for 2012. If Cain's your man, NOMINATE HIM. I see that happening. NOT.

September 29, 2011 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  7. Americaneedsrealists

Interesting how many posting here today are proving Herman correct. I hear many complete fabrications when speaking to history and the number of democratic talking points is enormous. Please overlook the fact that you may view his statement as condescending and try to look at the totality of what he is saying logically.

September 29, 2011 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  8. Tea Party For Cain!!! Cain / Rubio 2012

What Cain didn't mention is that EVERYONE on the left has been brainwashed... not just blacks...

September 29, 2011 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  9. Dad

In response to the comment by ME, he claims the Republicans were against the Civil Rights Act. The facts:
    House Republicans voting for: 80%
    Houser Dems: 63%
    Senate Republicans:82%
    Senate Dems: 69%

ME, this pretty common knowledge.

September 29, 2011 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  10. Lori

Why does CNN absolutely ALWAYS make it about race? Every show... why?

This Cain supporter adheres to the Tea Party political mindset, but certainly is not letting color define her choice.

I'm sure that 's a shock to this network.

September 29, 2011 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  11. Bri

What about most people vote for a candidate because they really like what the candidate does and says and feels he'd be a great president? -__-

September 29, 2011 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  12. msyellarose

Cain must really believe that we are all gullible and uneducated. He has it backwards as he appears to be the one "brainwashed".

September 29, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  13. Paul

What has the democrats actually done for out country? For instance, and I am aware this is beating a dead horse, but, what has Obama actually physically done for our country? You heard it from Michelle when she said she wasn't patriotic till her husband became president?! WTH?! Shouldn't you be patriotic before then??? I am not saying GW did a great job as president, but Obama sure as hell has not made it any better.....this whole "free" healthcare is bs....I get fined because I actually pay for my insurance??!! WTH?!?! On top of that, he changed things that didn't neet to be changed, I am not against gays by no means, but why change the policy don't ask don't tell?! I mean really, they were not saying you couldn't be gay in the military, they just didn't want to know about it! He won the nobel peace prize, for what?! What did he do to deserve it? In reality, we all know, and as bad is this might sound, Obama was elected president because he was black....look at the polls, they tell the truth.....I am not racist by all means nor am I a diehard republican, but my point is that you can't jump into office, change things overnight and expect the outcome not to affect our country....being a president is a hard job, but being the citizen of that country is even harder!

September 29, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  14. Cedar Rapids

So what we have here is Cain trying to convince the repub base to vote for him by claiming he can get the black vote. He mentions Obama but what he is really doing is trying to say that he can get the black vote and someone like Romney couldn't.

September 29, 2011 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  15. Richard

For all of the uneducated masses on this site that continually spew the same rhetoric over and over regarding Civil Rights, please do us all a favor and at least get his part correct. If it were not for the Republican party there would have been NO CIVIL RIGHTS law passed !

The Dems fought this tooth and nail and two of your lib hero's voted against it. The former leader of the Virginia KKK the 'honorable' Senator Robert Byrd, and from Tenn, Al Gore's daddy. My God you people ARE brainwashed.

September 29, 2011 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  16. Laughable

Poor Cain, lobbying for the interests of people who will never accept him. It's like watching the nerdy kids at school try to get in with the "popular" kids lol Get a self-esteem, Cain. I care enough about myself to vote for people who make an effort to win my vote. And he calls us brainwashed, poor sap.

September 29, 2011 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  17. Balls McGhee

So because someone has a different opinion, they are brainwashed. Maybe you are brainwashed.

September 29, 2011 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  18. RS, CA

So true, Mr. Cain. Finally someone says it like it is. Why don't you listen, folks - let go of your victim mentality and watch yourself thrive!!

September 29, 2011 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  19. Bob in the fly over area

It never ceases to amaze me that people think only their opinion counts. I may not agree with any of the canidates but they do have their own opinions on how to fix certain problems. Mister Cain is expressing an opinion. We all have them and what is suppose to seperate this country from all others is that we are to give people respect and allow them to have an opinion. I do not think someone is stupid, ignorant, or just does not care if they do not share my opinion. What we need to do is learn once again how do disagree with each other with respect and not beat each other up. Many in these comments sound more like politicians then citizens. Why do I differentiate, politicians fight about their opinions while citizens live on facts, the process of living.

September 29, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  20. Ron

So??? Many whites are "brainwashed" into voting Republican!!!

September 29, 2011 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  21. Flippy

By killing jobs and opportunity, particularly among blacks, Obama is enlarging the class of welfare recipients and likely Democratic voters. Cain, and other Republicans simply want to create an atmosphere where people can have the dignity to provide for themselves. What could possibly be wrong with that? I dont understand people who support the Democratic "plantation" – free the 21st Century slaves – vote Republican.

September 29, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  22. J Cooper

I don't disagree with Cain one bit on this point. However, I find it incredibly interesting that if a white person had made this exact same statement regarding the black demographic, they would be immediately labeled a "racist", irrespective of whether or not they were accurate in their assessment. No all criticism of a group implies bigotry, although few people get this.

September 29, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  23. Davonroe

@Cain is right on!...." It's so weird that black people rarely vote for a white candidate." Are you truly that dense? Walter Mondale? Bill Clinton? John Kerry? Not exactly part of the African Diaspora are they? It is CONSERVATIVE whites who have no credibility in the black community. Your kind has made NO effort to engage us. You take your ignorance about us and other non-whites as a source of pride. Why should I, as a black man, believe any claims of good will by someone like you?

September 29, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  24. bill

Sad but true.

September 29, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  25. Athena

Give me a break, no self-respecting black person would vote for Cain. He's basically saying "if you dont' vote for me, it's because you're brainwashed." Yeah, that'll get us all clamoring to vote republican. He doesn't get that republicans don't like us or him, it has nothing to do with brainwashing. He's just deluded himself into believing that he's one of the good old boys.

September 29, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54