Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems
September 28th, 2011

Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems

Washington (CNN) - The one African-American running for the GOP presidential nomination said Wednesday the black community was 'brainwashed' for traditionally siding with liberal politicians.

"African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being open minded, not even considering a conservative point of view," Godfather's Pizza executive Herman Cain said on CNN's "The Situation Room" in an interview airing Wednesday between 5-7 p.m. ET. "I have received some of that same vitriol simply because I am running for the Republican nomination as a conservative. So it's just brainwashing and people not being open minded, pure and simple."

Cain went on to explain that his interactions with African Americans led him to be optimistic about his own chances with the demographic.

"This whole notion that all African-Americans are not going to vote for Obama is not necessarily true," Cain said.

He continued, "I believe a third [of African-Americans] would vote for me, based on my own anecdotal feedback. Not vote for me because I'm black but because of my policies."

Cain also weighed in on the recent chatter surrounding Chris Christie, saying the recent reports the New Jersey governor is reconsidering a run for president were hurting the electorate.

"It's not insulting as much as it is a disservice to the American people," Cain said. "Chris Christie has been saying for a long time he's not interested in running. The media is trying to create a story by sucking Chris Christie into race, just like they made a story by sucking Rick Perry into the race."

Cain said the media should focus on the candidates who have already declared their candidacy to give voters a better idea of the field.

Filed under: Herman Cain • TV-The Situation Room
soundoff (1,341 Responses)
  1. IVOTE

Cain is a LIAR. PERIOD He knows the Tea Party is not in his corner and is looking for an out as to why he will not advance in this adventure. LOL

September 28, 2011 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  2. Gloria

"African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being open minded, not even considering a conservative point of view," Cain said on CNN."
    OMG! LOL! The fact that he could make such an assinine comment speaks volumes! African Americans, Asians, Whites, Hispanics, or many other ethnicities won't vote for him because he is unqualified. But of course he is still in denial about that fact.

September 28, 2011 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  3. carly

Cain is the one who is delusional with his 999 program. LOL

September 28, 2011 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  4. Terry, VA

See my post at 4:11 PM CNN censor. Today must be the day that the most liberal censor reviews the posts.
    my posts have awaited moderation all day and most have not been pulished. America is becoming Russia as Obummie's offical campaign site kicks into high gear.

September 28, 2011 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  5. D

I think it is ridiculous for Mr. Cain to suggest that the African-Americans who side with Democratic policies have been brainwashed, just as it is ridiculous that some suggest that AFAMs who side with Republican policies have been brainwashed. Mr. Cain should probably consider the fact that Republican policies tend to favor the big money makers and big corporations, and tend to forego the concerns of the underemployed, underserved and underrepresented in our country, which disproportionately includes AFAMs – except of course for the little bit of surplus that is supposed to "trickle down" to these communities from the big money earners after they have widened the socio-economic gap between themselves and the underemployed, underserved, and underrepresented.

September 28, 2011 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  6. Ann

Do NOT trust this man. He is fulfilling the prophecy of the Caliphate. If you vote for him, you and the US will be doomed. The deal will be sealed, and Russia will once again be on top. The Cold War will have been lost.

September 28, 2011 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  7. Dave

They're no more "brainwashed" by party affiliation than most self-proclaimed Christians thinking that a Christian MUST be a Republican. I'm Christian, but lean more toward the left...but most of the people I attend church with lean to the right.

September 28, 2011 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  8. The Real Tom Paine

@ Tony140:

Whoa, you like using the word slave.....

Serving mint julips at the Big House later on?

September 28, 2011 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  9. Koren

Cain, I'm black. I don't support democrats nor republicans. You're both playing with my emotions, gender, race, and other issues that matter to me. Sadly, I'm not brainwashed. I don't believe your bs nor do I believe what the democrats have to put out neither. I'm tired of race being constantly factored into my politics. I'm tired of you schmucks thinking that your heritage/background somehow make you more qualified. LEAVE AFRICAN AMERICANS OUT OF IT. We're more than what you "think" we are.

September 28, 2011 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  10. Mike JOhnson

D@MN Right and I'm going to stay brainwashed so that I will never become associated with a party that has to defend Rush Limbaugh, Dick cheney, Glenn Beck, Briebart, Coulter, etc.

Cain's problem is that he has to put down African Americans in order for him to be revelant. That's brainwashed right there.

He feels that he can demonize and criticize AA because he's not an AA, he an American. Therefore all of the racism from his party directed towards the First Lady will never apply to him because he's an American not an African American.

September 28, 2011 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  11. Tex71

I wonder how many black laborers were able to afford a decent life while working for Mr. Cain's pizza empire? I wonder how much caring he showed by sharing some of his million-dollar profits with those black employees? I wonder if he might actually have hurt his own cause?

September 28, 2011 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  12. Marie MD

No, blacks are not brainwashed. It is very blatant that the teapublikans hate anyone who is not white and that includes you cain. I think a lot of the teatards haven't gotten the message that your name is cain NOT mccain and that you are not one and the same.
    That being said. Your policies, as a millionaire, is to keep more of your money while these blacks and middle class whites and blacks and black and white poor get screwed.
    It's not about the color of the skin it's the policies of the republikans and their rich friends and those people, excuse me, corporations! I am white and I didn't vote for Obama because he was black or white or purple. I voted for him because he was/is the right man for these troubled times and the old man and the bimbo were/are NOT!

September 28, 2011 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  13. ThinkAgain

@Nikki: "Herman Cain is useful to the GOP to help mitigate the charge of racism within their midst."

It's the same reason they picked Michael Steele to head the GOP for the first two years of Obama's presidency. CYA tactics, the whole way.

September 28, 2011 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  14. sam

Hmmm. He sounds an awful lot like "Uncle Rufus" from The Boondocks.

September 28, 2011 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  15. REG in AZ

Should "brainwashing" be a serious concern then there needs to be real thought given to the manipulation of the Christian block, the intimidation and coercion constantly conducted by 3rd party groups like Norquist's "anti-tax pledge", Cheney's, Rove's and other "big money' supported groups, by efforts like the "Swift-boat" propaganda and now with the creation, funding and direction by "ultra-conservatives" (synonymous with "big money") of the Tea Party to excite and manipulate public opinion. The reality is that the scales are heavily weighted toward the Republican's efforts to deceive and sway people's thinking and Cain's accusation is ridiculous and just an attempt for attention and to again manipulate.

September 28, 2011 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  16. Dean

No Amnesty for Teabaggers – Impeach Republicans

Any non wealthy person with a brain should dump the GOP teabagger party. I think that I shall never see, a republican smarter than a tree
    ------------You mean the people who live off the government teat.

September 28, 2011 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  17. Tommy Perkins

Cain is right on!
    It's absolutely hilarious that African Americans don't realize their own BLATANT racism because they vote for a candidate just becuase they are black. At least the white man is able to think independently and vote for a half black Presidential candidate. Pretty funny stuff. It's so weird that black people rarely vote for a white candidate.

I had to repost this because this is funny. It says it's so weird that black people rarely vote for a white candidate. my question is how many times in the history of America has anyone not just blacks but anyone had the chance to even vote for a black person weather they were black part black a little black or any other race of that matter. Really really. Dude for real are you three or has the loritabs really gone to your head....

September 28, 2011 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  18. Sniffit

What an insulting POS this dude is. He'll be the first to claim that he's being unfairly attacked and that the attacks are racist if anyone opints out that he's repeating racist BS fabricated by the GOP, but he is. Not a single study has shown that "black people" (or other minorities) fail to vote on issues or think about their votes based on what is personally important to them. This rhetoric has been croopping up on a consistent and repeated and more frequent basis ever since Obama received 95% of the minority vote. In order to understasnd Cain's role in the 2012 GOP electoral field, you need to understand numbers such as the following:

"If the minority share of the vote increases in 2012 by the same rate it has grown in presidential elections since 1992, it will rise to about 28 percent nationally. By itself, that could substantially alter the political playing field from 2010, when the minority vote share sagged to just 22 percent. It means that if Obama can maintain, or even come close to, the four-fifths share of minority votes that he won in 2008, he could win a majority of the national popular vote with even less than the 43 percent of whites he attracted last time." – National Journal, 3/31/11

You understand it now? You understand why loony groups in swing states and states with historic discrimination that triggers special requirements under the Voting Rights Act are running around fabricating accusations of pervasive voter fraud to justify stricter registration laws, voter ID laws and undermine conservative white peoples' perception of the legitimacy of elections that their chosen candidate lost? Why we're looking at GOPers attempting to dismantle unions in states like OH, PA and WI? Why national GOPers are trying to toy with the electoral college in states like PA? Why TX and Rick Parry just signed into law a redistricting plan that was declared PURPOSELY DISCRIMINATORY in TX? Why DOJ is scrutinizing the spate of new voter ID laws that have cropped up in states controlled by GOPers? Why islamaphobia has become such a favorite past time for GOPers (look at birth rates in Palestine and tell me THAT isn't what they mean by "secret jihad")? The list of things they've been scrambling to do over the past 3 years to blunt the effect of the demographic shift is ENDLESS. Cain can proudly claim to be one of those things.

September 28, 2011 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  19. NVa Native

And we hear once again the rascist crap that blacks only voted for Obama because he is black.
    Explain it to me like your not a five year old – what about Clinton did the blacks vote for him because he was white?

September 28, 2011 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  20. Ladeda

In think his pizza sucks.

September 28, 2011 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  21. Freygunnr

Really? Is he African-American? How does he explain his escape from the "brain washing" ? And does he have any details to explain how this happend to all the other African-American people?

I hate to whip out Occam's Razor but wouldn't a simpler explaination be that Cain has been brain washed?

September 28, 2011 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  22. ct

Cain must have got Massa's permissions to speak from the big house again

September 28, 2011 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  23. Sniffit

FACT: Minority voters gravitate to Dems because (a) of what is important to them and (b) because the GOP has done everything in its power to alienate them over the past half century with BS like the "southern strategy." It's not "brainwashing." It's self-preservation in the face of forces attempting to conquer and oppress.

September 28, 2011 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  24. CNNMoney Headline "GM adding 6,400 jobs under UAW deal". GM is a true government success story

I believe @Billy Davis comment is comment enough.

September 28, 2011 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  25. Amazing

Using his logic, white southern christians have been brainwashed by Republicans. As a weell educated black man, I am insulted by Cain's accusation. He tends to forget that in recent history, Democrats have tended to stand up and support issues that are important to blacks. This does not mean Democrats have always been perfect. Rather, they have tended to be more in tune with the needs of the black community than Republicans have. Blacks are to the Democrats what white southern christians are to Republicans. The really sad part is that Cain is my neighbor and my respect for him has declined immensely. Not because he is a Republican but for some of the insulting comments he has made about the black community including comments about President Obama that have nothing to do with policy issues.

September 28, 2011 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54