Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems
September 28th, 2011

Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems

Washington (CNN) - The one African-American running for the GOP presidential nomination said Wednesday the black community was 'brainwashed' for traditionally siding with liberal politicians.

"African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being open minded, not even considering a conservative point of view," Godfather's Pizza executive Herman Cain said on CNN's "The Situation Room" in an interview airing Wednesday between 5-7 p.m. ET. "I have received some of that same vitriol simply because I am running for the Republican nomination as a conservative. So it's just brainwashing and people not being open minded, pure and simple."

Cain went on to explain that his interactions with African Americans led him to be optimistic about his own chances with the demographic.

"This whole notion that all African-Americans are not going to vote for Obama is not necessarily true," Cain said.

He continued, "I believe a third [of African-Americans] would vote for me, based on my own anecdotal feedback. Not vote for me because I'm black but because of my policies."

Cain also weighed in on the recent chatter surrounding Chris Christie, saying the recent reports the New Jersey governor is reconsidering a run for president were hurting the electorate.

"It's not insulting as much as it is a disservice to the American people," Cain said. "Chris Christie has been saying for a long time he's not interested in running. The media is trying to create a story by sucking Chris Christie into race, just like they made a story by sucking Rick Perry into the race."

Cain said the media should focus on the candidates who have already declared their candidacy to give voters a better idea of the field.

Filed under: Herman Cain • TV-The Situation Room
soundoff (1,341 Responses)
  1. Tree

Cain is a sick person............black , white, green or yellow will not vote for Cain. We know that most of the DEMS are for the people and the REP is for big money, so don't get it twisted Cain

September 29, 2011 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  2. Wendy Weinbaum

As a Jewess in the US, I can only say that stupid, minority-pandering, selfish liberal policies like Democrats propose are but one MORE reason why all REAL Americans now put our 2nd Amendment FIRST! America wasn't won with a registered gun!

September 29, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  3. dbld

Brainwashed I don't think I would have used that word but folks lets be honest the black community is being used by the democrat establishment and what has it gotten you. Unemployement is highest in the black community folks you need to wake up and educate yourselves on whats going on. The black community doesn't need the democrats or republicans to do something for them do something for yourselves.

September 29, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  4. Nat Turner

Cain is an ignorant fool. He says blacks are brainwashed voting Democratic, but if they had any sense, they'd vote Republican..for HIM! Save your money, Uncle and go home.

September 29, 2011 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  5. Dennis

Mr. Cain is this your way of courting the black vote by insulting the very people whom you want to support you. What if they choose another GOP candidate would you have a problem or would it be the same. A large majority of black are social conservatives, but your party has not done much to win their support.

September 29, 2011 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  6. Vincent

Wow..As an African American I m embarrassed that he would even suggest that the majority of his own nationality is "brainwashed" ... Is he brainwashed?....Shut up Cain, please. And to think you almost had my vote!

September 29, 2011 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  7. Joshua

Conservatives/Republicans, open minded? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! That's funny.

September 29, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  8. Lids

I had no idea who this guy was until about a week ago. The more I hear him, the more I like him. Like Ron Paul, he thinks out of the box but neither has the media following or public recognition to contend for the GOP ticket unfortunately. Too bad Repubs will be stuck either Romney or Perry. Not the best choices for the party but people are stuck to what they're told by the media.

September 29, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  9. Nat Turner

Herman, has Sarah Palin endorsed you yet? Give her a call. If you can play basketball, even better.

September 29, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  10. Jshine

Herman Cains 999 plan is and his mention of it sounds like a rap song by three six mafia "dope boy fresh" I tote a 999 all the time time time really??? you support that super wealthy because you want to be part of the gang. you and clarence thomas are some of the whitest black people in america. I went from slangin pizza not drugs to power??? get lost dude you rape the black community just like the rest of your wealthy republican cronies. trying to infiltrate the black community with this house slave NO THANKS!!!!

September 29, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  11. Paul Taylor

" GOP IS DESPERATELY! Old principles learn from Nicolas Machiavelli’s: Divide and Conquer! One black Guy saying nonsense about another, so there is no race card in America, (ja,ja,ja) Question? Any in this Forum thinks that if a Jew was elected for the first time president, Another Jew will go on TV and call him a liar, or say of his pairs that they are brainwash? Think twice before you answer. Did Mr Pizza will call another Rep Liar, even knowing with all the facts that he is lying? Think twice before you answer. This is the shame of Black dudes sometimes. By the way: where is this Guy that collected a ton of Money for the GOP in last elections not so long ago? STEELE was his name."

It is a difficult task to encourage blacks to conservative principles because one of the core values of that philosophy is the idea that: some people are superior of others so they must be subject to abuse. This is something that dudes like Cain, forgot very easy because they think that slavery, discrimination, apartheid, segregation, exclusion and poverty was just a great opportunity to improve for the black people since they now have the privilege of being a successful businessman. In 1964 these brainwash people that he is talking about could not vote, but still went to Vietnam and WWII to fight for this great country. This is not a forum to start using the race card, but to demonstrate that some guys just look ridicules and unfortunately they have to be blacks.
    Nicolas Maquiavelis was right: DIVIDE & CONQUER

September 29, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  12. zb

Caine: all his brains washed out.

September 29, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  13. SAJN

Not sure why blacks still favor the Dems with how much better their lives have been with obama in charge. Yep, he has done a lot for the people like raising taxes and increased unemployment.

September 29, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  14. Sandy

For those who say Republicans were for the Civil Rights Act. THESE ARE NOT THE SAME REPUBLICANS OF THE PAST! The Republicans of TODAY do NOTHING for the black community.

September 29, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  15. Cammie

MLK "JUNIOR" WAS NOT A REPUBLICAN.

The King Center in Atlanta, founded by King's wife, the late Coretta Scott King, had to say about his partisanship. In 2008, Steve Klein, the center's communications director, told the National Journal that "there is absolutely no confirmation that (King) was a Republican. ... He was never a member of any political party — and never formally endorsed any candidates."

Klein noted Coretta Scott King's recall of a 1960 phone call from Kennedy when her husband was in jail. In her book, My Life With Martin Luther King, Jr., she wrote that she took the call but was later unsure what to say about it. "My husband had a policy of not endorsing presidential candidates," her book says. "And at this point, I did not want to get him or myself identified with either party."

September 29, 2011 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  16. correction

Watch the video. He is misquoted. The double negative is not there when he spaeks.

Secondly, many say that the Dems stand up for African American yet they say that AA's are socially conservative. Then what about the Dem party appeals to them? Dems support gay marriage, support abortion and avidly try to keep God out of the public sector, even when it come to the cencorship of one's own business, SILENT prayer in a school or the pledge of allegiance. Why should AA's support them? It is because the Democrats hand-outs continue to garner support because many AA's feel it is necessary for survival, when in fact, many could be just as succesful as Mr. Cain if they worked for it. Good luck is when hard work meets opprtunity. But it doesn't come without the hard work. That is why many continue to vote democrat when they in fact do not really represent how they feel or think. They don't want to bite the hand that feeds. That is unless they aren't socially conservative as they claim to be.

September 29, 2011 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  17. rxthunder

I like what Cain has to offer. He has a plan. It's simple & can be implemented. I'll keep an open mind.
    Cheers,
    Rex

September 29, 2011 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  18. Adrienne

Herman Cain is an embarrassment to anyone with the ability to think. The GOP and the tea party do not want an African American in the nation's highest office. What makes Cain think they want him? He should look in a mirror. Maybe he forgot that he is STILL a Black man, living in America.

September 29, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  19. ed galbraith

"Brainwashing" implies subverting control over one's own mind. That's what Cain is saying about his fellow black Americans. They have relinquished control over their own minds...tens of thousands of academics, professionals etc...are not able to assess information or think for themselves. That makes Cain either a petty dictator or a moron...take your pick. Both?

September 29, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  20. Jshine

Let class warfare begin!!! I can't wait this country is well over do for a civil conflict....God bless america dear super wealthy americans get your passports and private jet game in order.....

September 29, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  21. HelpUS

A little exerpt from a "famous" speech:
    I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow jail cells. Some of you have come from areas where your quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of police brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive.

Go back to Mississippi, go back to Alabama, go back to South Carolina, go back to Georgia, go back to Louisiana, go back to the slums and ghettos of our northern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed. Let us not wallow in the valley of despair.

I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

Excuse me if I'm wrong, did I miss the part that said handouts are part of that dream? It's sad to think this great man died in vain. I live in the south and on the first of the month you will not find one person that is employed, in the grocery store or Walmart. Why do you think that is? That's right, it makes us sick to our stomach to watch others get free what we get up and go to work for everyday.

September 29, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  22. C. B.

Herman Cain this Uncle Tom wannbe need to sit down. He will never get a third of the Black vote. This fool need to shut up,and stop been a puppet for the GOP. Even Rush Limbaugh love him. So he will never get my vote. I don't vote for Racist people. So if he love Rush, Hannity, O'Reilly, Ann Coulter, Laura Ingram, and FOX NEWS. NO Black person should vote for this UNCLE TOM. What a pathetic loser he is.

September 29, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  23. citizenUSA

I'll have a large pepperoni with extra cheese please.

September 29, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  24. Eileen

I started reading the comments and I am really overwhelmed by the lack of understanding that the public has of government and leaders. I follow politics very closely and I also research the bills that are written and yet what I still hear is that the Republicans are for the rich and the Democrats are for the poor. Talk about brainwashing. This mind control statement has been going around for so long and the people keep eating the mushrooms. I wised up years ago and started checking things out and learned to think for myself. I am a middle class woman that works at a government agency and my husband is a union construction worker and we are Republicans. The Democrats are not in our corner. They have been destroying our lives for years now. I just don't see people getting any smarter so someday in the not so distant future when people have no jobs and no money they will wonder what hit them and it will be too late. I hope I'm not still alive when it happens. I will be NOTW>

September 29, 2011 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  25. Chalupa

Sitting in the sauna at an army base listening to a retired black veteran lay Obama out in lavender. Many blacks may be afraid of being labelled Uncle Tom if they don't support the black agenda.

September 29, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54