Obama’s uneasy relationship with black voters
September 28th, 2011

Obama’s uneasy relationship with black voters

Washington (CNN) - President Obama always takes a broader view on issues of race and his policies. He likes to point out that whether he’s pushing for health care reform or more jobs, all Americans - not just blacks - stand to benefit.

This approach has not gone unnoticed.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama
  1. Rick McDaniel

He couldn't care less about Americans, including blacks, as everything he is doing is bad for America, including the black community.

He is actually being subversive, in how he is dealing with illegal immigration. Hardly what anyone wants to see a President doing.

September 28, 2011 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  2. diridi

I do not blame him just because it is taking so long to fix, I know GOP did not pass single bill on JOBS. But, I like his policies, Health Care, Fin. Reg. Reform, DADT. etc, Nation is saved with these....Obama2012.
    Every one, remember, it is Bush and Reagan mess, takes some time....o.k,

September 28, 2011 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  3. MTATL67

I bought my home in spring of 2010. Lost my job Nov. 2010. Started new Job Feb11. I got to keep my home because of programs President Obama created to help folks stay in their homes. If the Republicans were in charge I'd be out on the street and homeless. I know of no Republican economic plan, idea or proposal. That is why they are the party of "NO". I make less money at my new job so what I spend I spend statically. I have re-landscaped my yard, bought a new washer and dryer. I never use go to Home Depot or Lowes but now I spend a lot of time there. I talk to my dad who built my mother a log cabin (everything but the electrical) a lot more to get ideas for my place. It has brought us closer. I still contribute to my 401K and to my savings account. I refuse to panic because the only thing Boehner, Cantor and McConnell can say is no. They will not scare me from going out and having a nice dinner or a night at the movies. I am going to continue to buy what I want with in my budget. If I want something I cannot afford then I save up to buy it. I will be getting my new plasma flat screen TV in two weeks (lay-away). I know this shopping is for me and my home. I have no illusions about that but just maybe one of the dollars that I spend could be the dollar that prevents someone from losing their job. If you can afford to buy things then buy them. You never know you could end up helping by more than you know.

September 28, 2011 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  4. Nash

Why would CNN publish something like this? This is a ploy to get rating or web traffic. Totally unnecessary. And as far as I am concerned a red herring. Give us some news or something instead of wasting our time on hearsay.

September 28, 2011 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  5. Woman In California

Whatever this man does is scrutinized. He can't even put on a tie and the press is not analyzing it but I'm sure in the end – he's glad that other minorities will not have to go through this. Stay strong Mr. President.

September 28, 2011 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  6. Mikey

The President is working hard to try to solve problems and the GOP is doing everything they can to try to make him fail no matter the cost to the country. Improving the economic situation will help everyone. Investing in education will help everyone. Solving our energy problems (which we cannot drill our way out of) will help everyone.

Undermining the President is harming our country. Disrespecting our President is tearing down our country. I love how those who pretend to be uber-patriotic, country-first types rationalize how it is okay to do just that. it is not.

September 28, 2011 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  7. Ed DFWTX

Obama is doing a lot more than what the GOP and George Dubya did for African Americans. Under the GOP and Bush, affirmatie action was used as a wedge issue to divide the country and put lots of money in the coffers of the GOP machine.

September 28, 2011 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  8. AlaskaPalin

Obama did more for the homosexuals 'a life choice' than for the blacks 'a race' just ask rep waters or prof west. Its time that blacks vote 'the content of character' rather than 'the color of skin'. In 2012 its thanks and goodbye to the nations first black president.

September 28, 2011 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  9. smith1

no one asked me !!! and as a black voter I have no problem with President Obama !!! I realize that he inherited a mess from bush !!! I realize that mccain and pailin were utterly incapable of handling our economic woes !!! I realize that republicans/tea partiers have been disrespectful, intransigent and even bigoted !!! I realize that he would do more with more cooperation !!! but most importantly, I realize that he is the PRESIDENT OF ALL AMERICANS !!!

September 28, 2011 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  10. Donkey Party

CNN, try as you may, you'll never be Fox News with your anti-Obama, anti-Democrat postings.

September 28, 2011 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  11. chris rivas

Well I think he shoul do more to help that hunmans or yest because they don't have documents they are not people republicans mekes laws tha are not ok for dogs and how can be ok for people they don't loks like a political partty enymore but like a racists organisacion base in discriminate who need help the most the O.E.A shoul do something to stop the cruelty of that organosacion.

September 28, 2011 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

President Obama has worked hard to further the interests of all Americans, even those on Wall Street. Just because he is not overtly ideological is proof positive of that point. He has tried to govern from the middle, but is faced with a political opposition the likes of which this country has never seen. I wouldn't blame him for spending the next year being overtly liberal, at all.

September 28, 2011 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  13. JoeyDee

Most outsider media people don't understand black speech. To them a lot of the forcful wording seems angry and talking down to blacks however, the blacks know that's whats needed to rise up in a country that's beaten them into the mud.
    That's what they need to hear, that's how they get fired up, that's why they will rise up, unite with labor and the middle class and shake off the yoke of opression of the rich and their GOP stooges. WE ALL WILL RISE UP and push "liars who wear blinders" aside ie you Rick. Get up and support OBAMA in 2012!!

September 28, 2011 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  14. Lost in Texas FOREVER

Obama has to walk a very fine line with this and too bad a lot of African-Americans can't see this. If Obama were to just seem to foucus on the AA community the far right would pile on him worse than they are doing now. Some have already called him a racist...something I have yet to understand but I just look at the source. The funny thing is if Obama were white (and I mean TOTAL white) and seemed to focus on the AA communtiy it would be now problem. Heck some called Bill Clinton the FIRST black president just because of that. And to be honest some of the AA of the old school civil rights movement are either jealous or resent Obama because he's not "down in the hood" so to speak like maybe Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton might be. It's damned if you do damned if you don't but Obama should be use to that by now.

September 28, 2011 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  15. oldcoaldog

It would take a dummy to support a boob like Obama.

September 28, 2011 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  16. Lucky

I am disgusted by the way you people keep bashing President Obama especially about race..why didn't you people focus on race when President Bush was reigning. You guys are just a bunch or red necks over there with the Tea Party and Sarah Palin being the ring leaders.I hope you guys get the President you are looking for..I can hardly wait. I am just happy that I am a Canadian. Just to remind you Americans...the world is watching. Lucky Canadian

September 28, 2011 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  17. GuyinVA

"Uneasy relationship"? So... what percentage of the black vote did he get in 2008?

September 28, 2011 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  18. T'sah from Virginia

It's BLACK DAY on CNN!!

When President Obama got elected, if he would have directed his attention towards "Blacks Only" who were unemployed – all in HELL would have broke loose. The WHITES on the RIGHT would have had a field day on that issue.

Now that there is NO ONE on the RIGHT that can defeat President Obama, all of a sudden BLACKNESS is an issue and truthfully, it's coming from the far-RIGHT/Black/White. Their goal is to turn the Black supporters against President Obama and they're using Cain as the Token. And all of this is brought to you by CNN. Check out the Tickers for today!! How many of them are directed towards African Americans?????????

The RED governors of some states are also on a roll by changing voting rules – another effort to suppress the votes from minorities. IT'S NOT GOING TO WORK!!!

Black Obama/White Biden 2012!!!

September 28, 2011 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  19. A Democrat in North Carolina

I really find it annoying when i hear some blacks criticized thiis President when the truth you didnt suppor him anyway you know who im talking about, Maxine Waters for 1 she didnt really support President Obama anyway. Tavis Smilley as well you was not with him anyway. Futhermore you was not like this with Bill Clinton when he was President.Im a African American and Yes i have a job THANK GOD! but we have cut back and it donot have anything to do with the economy it was simple poor managment the FDA came in and found things that was not right, so every job that laysoff is not the President fault peolpe.

September 29, 2011 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  20. kat

Black or White, he foesn't care... padding is pockets is all that's on his mind.

September 29, 2011 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  21. TP will be flushed after use

President Obama cares for all Americans. No matter race, religion, gender, or POLITICAL AFFILIATION! If republicans are so great, please name me one great GOP policy that has helped all Americans prosper in the last 30 years.

September 29, 2011 03:17 am at 3:17 am |
  22. GI Joe

He sure beats any of the fascists currently running under the R/bagger banner. We don't need no stinking Fascist Government in this country that gives everything to corporations. Police in NYC are behaving like Hitler's brown-shirts already. What has happened to this country?

September 29, 2011 06:35 am at 6:35 am |
  23. Marry

…a ridiculous headline!
    “President Obama’s uneasy relationship with black voters…”
    President Obama always takes a broader view on issues of race and his policies. He likes to point out that whether he’s pushing for health care reform or more jobs, all Americans not just blacks stand to benefit….

Sorry, but that is exactly the right position to have. Tell me what is wrong with it??? The President is there to work for ALL people and he knows that and does it!

September 29, 2011 07:51 am at 7:51 am |