Poll: GOP more enthused than Dems
September 29th, 2011

Poll: GOP more enthused than Dems

(CNN) - What a difference three years makes. A new poll released Thursday reveals Democrats seem to be suffering from a presidential election malaise.

Less than half say they're more enthusiastic than usual about voting in 2012, compared with Republicans, who are more enthused about voting than they were for most of 2008.

According to the new Gallup poll, Democrats are split on how excited they are about voting in 2012. Forty-five percent of Democrats and independents who lean Democratic say they are more enthusiastic about voting than usual, and 44 percent are less enthusiastic.

But in 2008, almost eight in 10 said they were more enthusiastic about voting. The change represents a stark decline in excitement from the months preceding the election of President Barack Obama to those in the midst of his re-election campaign.

In a reversal of fortunes, almost six in 10 Republicans –58 percent– say they're more enthusiastic than usual about voting and 30 percent are less enthusiastic.

GOP excitement in 2011 is five percentage points higher than 2004, when then-President George W. Bush was elected to a second term, and greater than it was at most points in 2008, a factor that may bode well for the eventual Republican nominee for president if the trend continues.

The Gallup poll was conducted by telephone from September 15-18, 2011 among 1,004 adults nationwide. It has a sampling error of plus or minus four percentage points.

Also see:
No trick: Christie, Palin face Halloween deadline

Bachmann urges Christians not to 'settle'

Perry dials back 'heartless' comment

Filed under: 2012 • Democrats • Polls • Republicans
  1. Woman In California

This was taken AFTER Herman Cain's remarks so I will DISREGARD it.
    Thank you.

September 29, 2011 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

Ever have one of these pollsters call you? Some can ask you a lot of innocuous questions before slipping in the real questions that they had wanted to ask all along. I once endured a Gallup survey for nearly 30 minutes before I had to cut it short.

September 29, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  3. Emmy Skaddittle

this poll is way to early, why would you think democrats would be enthusiastic about republican primaries, when they finally decide which moron is their candidate then we will become more engaged

September 29, 2011 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  4. WiredweirdinSF

Hopefully the drug addled liberal democrats won't catch on that the more they degrade and demean hard working, sincere, tax payers like the Tea Party supporters, the more votes their candidates lose. This was the secret to the 2010 Congressional elections and now we have that corrupt union thug Hoffa, and that corrupt poverty pimp Maxine Waters threateing to send us to hell, as well as Biden , Pelosi and Reed calling us names as well as our inept, incompetent, corrupt Union toady president. We cannot help but beat the class warfare artists in 2012.

September 29, 2011 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  5. Karen

My parents, whom are die hard Democrats, won't be voting for a Democrat in the upcoming election. And one thing for sure, they see their mistake voting for Obama and won't make that mistake again.

September 29, 2011 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  6. walter

Because the Gop will give them More Tax Cuts for the Stinkin Filthy Rich off the backs of the poor,middle class and the elderly

September 29, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  7. Rick McDaniel

As an independent, I am VERY enthused about getting rid of the albatross around the neck of America.

September 29, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  8. Lisa

where were these pins when BUSH was in office??? do these freaks actually think BUSH did a great job? are they blind?!

September 29, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  9. Lost in Texas FOREVER

another freaking poll where 1,004 people called on land lines is supposed to represent the entire nation. I guess though if you're a poll worker at least you have a job.

September 29, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  10. DA

LOL...that button of I Miss W is such and oxymoron!! I mean the President has kept many of W's policies in place during his time in office!! That's a Republican for you just plain dumb!!! OBAMA 2012!!!

September 29, 2011 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  11. Tree

Dont believe......

September 29, 2011 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  12. Independent Voters

I am a independent voter and I cant wait until I vote these teabaggars/republican out of the office.

September 29, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  13. ConservaFASCISTS/TEAliban/TEAhadists

What moron came up with the "I miss W" button? I swear, when TEApublicans lose power, they instantly go into 24/7 campaign mode. They don't care about governing. They only care about power. Where's the "Bush Broke Us" or "Tea Party = Domestic Terrorists" buttons?

September 29, 2011 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  14. Martha in CF

The Redumblicans are scared....They found out it is not good to produce dumb and not keep promises...............They are running

September 29, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  15. Four and The Door

Republicans will not be kept from the booths on Tuesday, November 6, 2012. This is 404 days away and it is becoming something of a National Holiday for Republicans. There will be more partying than we saw on December 31st, 1999. I am predicting a champagne shortage.

September 29, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  16. AEJ

CNN, my Gof elections are SEVERAL MONTHS AWAY. The American people have more serious things affecting their lioves right now to concentrate on. My sister in Florida recently lost her job. When I asked her several questions relating to politics, she has no clue what I am talking about. She told me she is busy trying to find another job and concentrating on things which matters most to her now. She also said it is only people in the media has time for politics because that's their jobs. She and her friends, neighbours haven't a clue what's happening in Politics. So your question about enthusiastic is too early to tell. These people are all Democrats who can't wait to vote out Rick Scott out of office. They said he is the worse Governor Florida has ever had!!!!

September 29, 2011 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  17. JustMe

No I am not particularly thrilled about voting for Obama, but I am thrilled about voting against the GOP, so doesn't that amount to the same thing since I would rather vote for a less than stellar Obama than pretty much most (with the exception of Huntsman) of the GOP.

September 29, 2011 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  18. JustMe

And I must say that surprises me that Republicans are so enthused since they don't seem to be happy with any of the candidates that are running (their words, not mine).

September 29, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  19. Facepalm28

"I Miss W"??????? Ok, now I'm starting to lose all hope for humanity. You can argue all you want about how effective Obama's policies have actually been at fighting the recession, but it is an undeniable fact that Bush's policies were what brought it about in the first place. And THEN there's Iraq, torture, Patriot Act, and his general stupidity.

Oh, wait, what am I saying? These are Republicans...facts mean nothing to them.

September 29, 2011 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  20. Hammerer

Call it enthused if you want but the truth is that America is fed up with these politicans.
    Promises of change, accountability,transparency and all of those catch phrases have all been proven to be lies.
    People want some honesty in government and at the present that is hard to find.

September 29, 2011 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  21. MTATL67

Y'all are just not talking to the right Independents and Democrats. I am cannot wait it is going to be my first time helping a campaign. I want to campaign against the extremism and the un-patriot and un-American behavior of the Tea party and the GOP the party of "NO" – No plan, No idea, NO diversity and NO budget. Any party that gives $260,000 to squirrels then holds up funding for FEMA to further their own agenda has got to go. I have set up my bi-weekly donation. The current Republican leadership has not provided any leadership in containing or ridding the party of the extremist element. The current Republican leadership has been a complete failure. No economic legislation of any kind has been passed. The only thing they have succeed in doing is getting our country downgraded.

September 29, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  22. American Lady

I suspect that part of the reason Democrats are not paying much attention to all of is because the GOP hasn't settled on a candidate (and won't for quite a while). The Republican presidential choices are quite a mixed lot and they are rising and falling in the polls so quickly (with Republican voters expressing such mixed enthusiasm for them) it's difficult to say what's going to happen next year. I think by late next summer the situation may be different, once the candidates are set, and whether the economy is doing any better. That's a long way away.

September 29, 2011 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  23. there is profit in fear.....aka payback

....I too miss 'w'....I miss the two wars he started. The untold number of DEAD. And the number of people who, lost their JOBS and HOMES. I long for the day. When the teaparty-republicans take control....Let history repeat itself....MISS YOU...'w' and the republicans. Lets, go back to those GLORY DAYS. I mean GORY DAYS..........

September 29, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  24. Chris~Albany, NY

I want to meet the people stupid enough to wear a pin that says " I Miss W". All 2 of them, lol. Losers

September 29, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  25. Donkey Party

CNN continues with their love affair with the right-wing. Your bias is so transparent, except to the knuckle-dragging right-wingers you're trying to woo, who consider you liberal. Fools.

September 29, 2011 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |