Obama approval plummets in NH
September 30th, 2011

Obama approval plummets in NH

Manchester, New Hampshire (CNN) - Sixty-five percent of New Hampshire residents disapprove of President Obama's handling of the economy, according to a new poll.

The American Research Group's September 2011 Quarterly New Hampshire Poll also found the president's approval rating in the first-in-the-nation primary state is pegged at 31%.

Dante Scala, a political science professor at the University of New Hampshire, said the notable shift in Obama's support is among undeclared, or independent voters. Sixty-seven percent of undeclared voters in the state say they disapprove of how the president has handled the economy.

Even though New Hampshire's unemployment rate is much lower than the national figure, Scala said voters here are affected by rampant displeasure in the economy.

Obama lost New Hampshire's primary to Hillary Clinton in 2008 but triumphed over John McCain here with 54% in the general election. The state carries four electoral votes.

The American Research group poll was conducted by telephone from September 25-29, surveying 547 adults in New Hampshire. The sampling error was plus or minus 4.2 percentage points.

–CNN's Rebecca Stewart contributed to this report.

Filed under: New Hampshire • Polls • President Obama
  1. Republican who supports this President

The folks in NH just do not get it. This President has a bunch of obstructionist preventing any progress that can be made. President Obama certainly has my vote.

September 30, 2011 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  2. barry

Wow that's brutal. I don't think President Obama's chances are very high to being re elected. I think he is going to fall prey to the same issue that got Jimmy Carter. A terrible Economy. He owns it!

September 30, 2011 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  3. Liz the First

I thought the folks in NH had more on the ball than to fall for the sick game the rethugs are playing with this country. keep the economy in the tank and hope the dummies blame Obama. if we're stupid enough to fall for this, we deserve to have the country go down the drain. why aren't folks furious with the rethugs for making us collateral damage in their mad power grab? are that many people really that blind?????

September 30, 2011 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  4. cooldaddy1

Obama thinks the only way Blacks can achieve equity is with a total socialist system. Obama did one really great thing. That was being the first Black President. That being said he should resign NOW.

September 30, 2011 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  5. samuel

the reason he is in this situation is that democrats think obama caves in all the time to the republicans and that he is all talk . why would anyone need to vot gop while obama is in office becouse obama is a republican . this president rolls over and gives the gop what ever it wants even when he had a massive majority in congress and a majority in the senate . it does not take a genius to work it out.

September 30, 2011 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  6. Little Jimmy Truth

Thank god!!! NH voters were still really smart that they would not support him. They made right decisions.

September 30, 2011 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  7. GetErDonee

I have yet to meet 1 in 3 people who approve of Obama. I mean, how possibly can 31% of anybody, anywhere, approve of Obama? I work in a liberal company and never meet anyone who talks about Obama. When his performance is worse than that of Jimmy Carter ... I could not imagine who I could continue to apologize for Obama and/or justify my position trying to support him. This guy lives in a bubble.

September 30, 2011 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  8. Truth-Bomb Thrower

The Kool-Aid drinkers are finally starting to wake up. It's too bad that it took an artificial recession to do it. Elections have consequences people!!!!

September 30, 2011 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  9. Will

The GOP stands for Get Obama's Presidency.

September 30, 2011 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  10. THE BROWN NOTE

surprise surprise

let me guess

hes gonna blame bush for his horrible track record next

maybe if he knew how to do his job

he went into office with virtually no experience

the voters spoke

and its obvious the voters werent intelligent at all

September 30, 2011 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  11. Betsy

This has no meaning 14 months out.

October 1, 2011 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  12. Melo-D

So let's give the economy back to the guys who wrecked it. Great plan.

October 1, 2011 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  13. A Democrat in North Carolina

I disappove of how some voted for this do nothing congress that just want to hold this country hostage.Eay to go people now nothing gets done to help noone except the Rich.

October 1, 2011 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  14. Hank

I think the presidents approval is so low not because of the bad economy, although that doesn't help, but because he doesn't take a stand to fight against the far right. Many of those like myself who supported him during the election are sick of him giving in to the right on everything. We need a strong president and he has been a weak president. People understand that he inherited a mess but he won't fight for policies that will correct the problem. I can't vote for a far right candidate but that doesn't mean I'm going to vote for this president. He now doesn't have the support of the right or the left.

October 1, 2011 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  15. From Canada - watching in amazement

547 adults polled. 547!!!!!!!!!
    You gotta be kidding!!

October 1, 2011 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  16. ingrid

I appreciate that Obama is not doing well in NH polls but I hope the good people of NH recognize that their fortunes and future are brighter with him as leader than any of those running on behalf of the GOP.

October 1, 2011 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  17. Fair is Fair

I'm surprised only 65% disapprove. When it's this bad in a state like New Hampshire...

October 1, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  18. Ernie

I read every day that Obama approval ratings are going lower and lower, but his approval rating don't seem to go below 30%. I wonder why?. I believe that if Obama's approval rating go below 30% the people are sending his a clear and cut message that he's not re-electable. So every week when the new numbers come everyone will see that no matter how high people disapprve of the way Obama is handling things his approval rating will never go below 30%. In reality his approval are around 20% but the liberal press isn't gonig to print the real numbers. The chickens are coming home to roust for Obama. If Obama thinks he took a beating in 2010 mid-term elections wait till November 2012 when the new President wil be walking him out to the White House.

October 1, 2011 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  19. mikle

How he can win? On what record? In 2008 he can B.S. because He was historical person, but not anymore.

October 1, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  20. JDComments

The bad news just keeps on coming.

Is there a point at which he will not seek re-election?

October 1, 2011 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  21. Tim

I'm suprised. I thought it would be higher, given the bang-up job he's done.

October 1, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  22. mal

It's all Bush's fault.

October 1, 2011 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  23. Roger Wren

31 percent in a New England state that he carried in 2008 is pitifull. If the Republicans could run a candidate to be named later against him they would win easily if nothing much changed between now and election day. Unfortunatelly they must name their candidate before election day.

October 1, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |