Cain: My flavor is Black Walnut
October 1st, 2011

Cain: My flavor is Black Walnut

(CNN) – Sarah Palin called Herman Cain the “flavor of the week” when he won a closely-watched straw poll in Florida, but the former Godfather's Pizza executive said Friday his particular flavor has substance.

“I happen to believe there’s iced milk, and then there’s Haagan-Daas Black Walnut,” Cain said on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno". “Substance, that’s the difference. I got the substance. I’m the Black Walnut. It lasts longer than a week.”

Cain also forgave the former Alaska governor for mistakenly calling him “Herb Cain.”

“I’m going to forgive her, doesn’t know that only my enemies call me Herb,” Cain said. “I’m going to forgive her this time.”

Cain also said he didn’t think Palin would make a late entrance into the race for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination, saying he thought she was a great voice for conservatives but that she probably wouldn’t end up running.

On Chris Christie, Cain encouraged the New Jersey governor to follow his heart before jumping into the race.

“Don’t do it because of the media hype,” Cain said. “If you don’t do it for your own reasons, from the bottom of your heart, don’t do it.”

When Jay Leno asked Cain to say one word about each of his fellow candidates, he said Texas Gov. Rick Perry was a “good governor,” but that former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney only had “good hair.”

As for former Utah governor Jon Huntsman?

“He wears ties like Mr. Cain!”

Cain used much of his appearance describing his 9-9-9 economic plan, including the provision that items like used cars wouldn’t be taxed.

“That would be fabulous for me,” exclaimed Leno, who famously owns a collection of classic cars.

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain
  1. warren macdonald

Republicans remind me of that movie "the goonies".

October 1, 2011 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  2. Little Jimmy Truth

Excellent guy!!! He is da man!!!

October 1, 2011 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  3. bob

he's a nut alright!

October 1, 2011 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  4. NVa Native

The more you get to know the people running for GOP nomination the more you understand how screwed up their party is.

October 1, 2011 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  5. Republicans Are The American Taliban

Granny Sarah Scorpion cant call Herman Cain by his proper name, because that would be showing respect to a black man.

October 1, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  6. Donkey Party

"Iced milk"? That sounds awfully racist. One thing I can agree with "Herb", he's definitely a nut.

October 1, 2011 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  7. Wire Palladin, S. F.

I was thinking maybe anchovies or pineapple on his pizza, not black walnut.

October 1, 2011 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  8. Rich

Soooo, is the rent still, too damn high?

October 1, 2011 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  9. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Herman is getting into states rights when he said,". . .used cars won't be taxed." Sounds like government interference to me.

October 1, 2011 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  10. T'sah from Virginia

►Cain: My flavor is Black Walnut◄ it’s as smooth as silk
    And when you really think about it “I happen to believe there’s iced milk…”
    Even though I am in a party that is “kinda” COLD and have a bunch of NUTS!!
    ►“Substance, that’s the difference. I got the substance. I’m the Black Walnut”

I HOPE Cain enjoys this moment while the right uses him for bait
    He should keep in mind that he would NEVER be the RIGHT’s candidate
    Especially after making remarks about “brainwash”, that was a mistake
    He’ll be “kicked to the curb” like Steele and get the full effect of the SHAKE!!!

Cain with his 9 9 9 – got out of line, Line, LINE – And he’ll soon whine, Whine, WHINE – When his time, Time, TIME – Ends and he declines, Declines, DECLINES – And I am through with this rhyme, Rhyme, RHYME…………….LMAO!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012!!!

October 1, 2011 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  11. Reggie from LA

All that winnin' down there in Florida, Herb. "Stung" by the grifter queen and left to churn out anecdotal rhetoric. Someone has managed to BRAINWASH Mr Cain into thinking that the Tea Party (or even the run-of-the-mill GOP) is willing to even consider putting him into the White House. Herb, the reason for many of our country's woes is that the right wing is spending the majority of its time trying to get a black man out of the "white house". They blame him for everything wrong and withhold any remnants (except occasional) of acknowledging accomplishment. Cain is not above their loathing.

October 1, 2011 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  12. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

Good grief... I have to agree with Palin?!?! Flavor of the week indeed!
    However, if SHE ran, she'd be "Vanilla Nut"

October 1, 2011 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  13. Tony in Maine

Rats – I was waiting for Ben and Jerry's Schweddy Balls, but I guess that belongs to Chris Christie.

October 1, 2011 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  14. GOP doesn't have any shame

I think Cain is the most pathetic excuse for a candidate we've seen from the GOP so far.
    They seem to think that all they need is a black guy and they'll win it.
    They are so wrong and so stupid. Cain's just a sell-out. A cheap ho.
    And everyone knows it.

October 1, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  15. Lost in Texas FOREVER

unlike President Obama, Mr. Cain seems to love talking about himself being BLACK. He once mentioned that he was a "REAL BLACK MAN" I guess meaning that both of his parents were black. He complains that black conservatives are not liked in the black communities. Then he says blacks were brained washed into voting for Democrats. I amd not sure how he gets away with this for if Obama had injected this much reference to his race in his campaign I doubt if he would be POTUS right now. Ok Mr Cain we get it, you're black, wealthy and successful but you're NOT going to get the nomination to run against Obama....because well that would be TOO much black for many on the far right.

October 1, 2011 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  16. votingbloc

Thanks, Jay Leno, for have Herman Cain as a guest. I haven't watched you in years. I watched last night and enjoyed the kids' segment and Herman Cain, both particularly.

October 1, 2011 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  17. Larry Broxton

A littleHistory:

The fugitive slaves co-habitated with White women and Indian women that produced children that were referred to as the "Black Walnut" that later were referred to as Maroons. "My little Black Walnut"

October 1, 2011 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  18. B W Styles

Black Walnut huh? Is it alright if we just call ya Nuts, Herb?

October 1, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  19. Stop spending

Cain - let's give him more time ... good be the man to deliver what the country needs.

October 1, 2011 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  20. Wire Palladin, S. F.

It appears that more and more sensible white people are abandoning the tea bagger party.

October 1, 2011 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  21. Tea Party Member

What makes anything Sarah Palin says about any candidate relevant?
    Fact is she is just another talking head on the 24 hour a day GOP network.

October 1, 2011 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  22. Tea Party Member

She doesn't even know his name...

October 1, 2011 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  23. Tony

Sarah,

If you are not running, just say so. If Herman Cain is the flavor of the week, you are old news and past the expiration date.

October 1, 2011 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  24. Stan

It is funny to me that it is only permissible for black candidates to allude to their skin color as being a positive reason to elect them into office. I guess it worked last time. When will the American people learn the whole Government electoral system is a scam. I know we don't like to believe it but our political leaders create and pass laws strictly to benefit corporations profit margins. Our elected leaders, Wall Street nor the CEOs give a damn about anything but power and profit! It is just like the graffiti the young gang members spray paint on walls "It's All About the Money Fool!"

October 1, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  25. David Zimmerman

I think it is so magnanimous of Herb to forgive Sarah this one time for calling him Herb. He is so forgiving this one time. If I were Sarah, I would call him Herb every time. Send him a message. What gave him the idea she was not his enemy in the first place?

October 1, 2011 11:14 am at 11:14 am |