Cain: My flavor is Black Walnut
October 1st, 2011

Cain: My flavor is Black Walnut

(CNN) – Sarah Palin called Herman Cain the “flavor of the week” when he won a closely-watched straw poll in Florida, but the former Godfather's Pizza executive said Friday his particular flavor has substance.

“I happen to believe there’s iced milk, and then there’s Haagan-Daas Black Walnut,” Cain said on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno". “Substance, that’s the difference. I got the substance. I’m the Black Walnut. It lasts longer than a week.”

Cain also forgave the former Alaska governor for mistakenly calling him “Herb Cain.”

“I’m going to forgive her, doesn’t know that only my enemies call me Herb,” Cain said. “I’m going to forgive her this time.”

Cain also said he didn’t think Palin would make a late entrance into the race for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination, saying he thought she was a great voice for conservatives but that she probably wouldn’t end up running.

On Chris Christie, Cain encouraged the New Jersey governor to follow his heart before jumping into the race.

“Don’t do it because of the media hype,” Cain said. “If you don’t do it for your own reasons, from the bottom of your heart, don’t do it.”

When Jay Leno asked Cain to say one word about each of his fellow candidates, he said Texas Gov. Rick Perry was a “good governor,” but that former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney only had “good hair.”

As for former Utah governor Jon Huntsman?

“He wears ties like Mr. Cain!”

Cain used much of his appearance describing his 9-9-9 economic plan, including the provision that items like used cars wouldn’t be taxed.

“That would be fabulous for me,” exclaimed Leno, who famously owns a collection of classic cars.

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain
  1. thomas

@jb
    Your as nuts as the Pizza man ! Theres help for you available at 1-800 NUT-CAKE hotline !
    However they cant change you , you can only change yourself !
    Kinda like leading a horse to water !

October 1, 2011 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  2. Donkey Party

Doug -

We thought you were either stupid or retarded, guess it's both...

October 1, 2011 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  3. Marie MD

We are just going to sit down to eat some pizza. Is that the substance he is talking about. A special sauce or something like that?
    @rootandstem – thank you. I love dogs and I would rather be a dog than a teatard and a traitor to my country.
    @jb – the president doesn't create jobs but your republikans ran on JOBS, JOBS, JOBS in 2010 and I am still hearing the crickets because they have done nothing. Let's see what they do with the Presiden'ts job plan which has a LOT of their ideas in it! That will show us and the world how little rethugs care about the American workers just as long as the President is a one term Prez.

October 1, 2011 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  4. Karen

WOW....there sure are a bunch of "RACIST" here today. All the negative comments about Mr. Cain going on. You folks are posting negative comments about Mr. Cain are nothing but a bunch of "RACIST" your negative comments are only because he's a black man! Gee, I never knew there were so many "RACIST" that were on cnn.com. Mr. Cain sure brings out the "RACIST" here.

October 1, 2011 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  5. Livvy

Herman Cain 2012!!! I highly respect this man. Good luck Herman Cain.

October 1, 2011 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  6. gay republican (putting America first)

Please post my one comment, about gotta love cain, im sitting at big chicken in MARIETTA I dont WANT to have to drive down their with a big protest sign,BUT I WLL IF I HAVE TO

October 1, 2011 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  7. BENJI

This time next year this token won't even be a memory. He is wasting his time and money. Repubs arent going to allow a black man to get ahead in their organization.

October 1, 2011 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  8. DSherwin

It's time to give some serious consideration to Republican candidates other than the old white male stereotype.

October 1, 2011 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  9. mjw

@jb

Your true color is showing. If you think President Obama has no common sense, I wonder what you thought of GWB? Your party is actually answering that question for us anyway. They are still searching for a candidate while we are settled. Some of you right wing nuts will be eating more than nuts come November 2012.

October 1, 2011 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  10. Charlie from the North

Hey Doug,

Read your comment, here is mine:

The problem with Republicans is not that they are wrong when they say "government is the problem, vote for us and we will prove it" they are totally correct..When they are in charge government sucks. The question is why would we return a group to the White House whose sole purpose is to prove that government is a problem?

October 1, 2011 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  11. JohnRJ08

I have known many corporate executives - some at the top of the largest companies in America. To be sure, many were very smart, highly adaptive and complex people. That, unfortunately, does NOT describe Herman Cain. Mr. Cain's formulaic ideas run totally counter to needs and hopes of the very people whom he should want to fight for and lift up. He is a corporate automaton and political theologue, suffering from the tunnel vision of having worked for the same company, Pillsbury, for too many years (Pillsbury owns Godfather's Pizza). His level of detachment is astonishing. Before he became a pizza maven he was a banker. What Cain is famous for at Godfather's Pizza is closing a lot of stores and laying off a lot of people – people who were already at the bottom of the economic ladder. He and Mitt Romney's private sector credentials have a lot in common.

October 1, 2011 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  12. sara

An ignorant man.

October 1, 2011 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  13. Pops

Black Wing-Nut would be more accurate.

October 1, 2011 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  14. Squigman

Why is this news worthy. If there was an item that makes no sense, or concerns me less, it's his pick of desert items.

October 1, 2011 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  15. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I wonder how many people see the racist overtones with the "Black Walnut & Iced Milked" comment. I don't think that Cain is really a contender because he doesn't know how to run a campaign. He isn't really ready for the big leagues. If he had done what Romney had done (had one successful election under his belt), then he would be in a better place and know what to do with the straw poll win from Florida.

October 1, 2011 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  16. Lost in Texas FOREVER

@ Doug.....

I trust if Martin Luther King were still with us here today that he would NOT be a Republican. People like you don't seem to realize this is NOT the GOP of the 60's, Lincoln, heck not even Reagan anymore. This party is way too far to the right, listen to Rush Limbaugh and how he gets away with snide racial remarks on his show. A few weeks ago he said when Obama wanted to give his speech on the same day of the GOP debate the "Boehner needed to put Obama in his place!!" Since WHEN does the Speaker of the House put the President of the United States in "his place"??? Of course unless he meant.... need I say more?? I voted Republican before, for Reagan the first time in fact, I even liked McCain until he picked Palin. Stop trying to say this is the same GOP that King supported because it is NOT! Plus in the days of MLK there was NO FoxNews going 24/7 talking against anything that is not far right. Yeah I'm sure FoxNews would have loved MLK.

October 1, 2011 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  17. shoegazer

Well,he's got the nut part right.

October 2, 2011 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  18. Georgia Girl

Doug, please watch this video from Melissa Harris-Perry and Political History Professor at Tulane University on Race in American Politics. Yes Dr. King and Abraham Lincoln were Republicans and 90% of the black community voted Republican. It was when LBJ (a Democrat) sign in the cival rights law, that the black community (as a whole) started voting Democrat because we (I am African American) go with the party that has our best interest at heart. Please watch this video with a open mind. http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Meliss

October 2, 2011 03:20 am at 3:20 am |
  19. Ivywoods

Jb your comment is comical because we both know that Cain (the essence of a DOPE) will never become the nominee of the Republican Party...you say he is capable, an hat the DEMS are racist, but which party ha already elected a Black man as President? You Republican a

October 2, 2011 06:38 am at 6:38 am |
  20. Ivywoods

I meant to say that the Republicon Party and it's TEAHOE racist friends will NEVER nominate this man...and he is a Black fool for believing that he has any real chance of becoming the nominee...he must have drank a whole pitcher of the Republican illusion-aid....

October 2, 2011 06:43 am at 6:43 am |
  21. jimatmadison

It's all the media's fault. They make Republcans take Stupid Pills before they'll let them talk.

Perry was a quick in-and-out, and Cain will be the same.

October 2, 2011 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  22. omemario

jb your nut's

October 2, 2011 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  23. moron

I think he meant "black wingnut"...

October 2, 2011 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  24. Liberals are Racists pigs...

I get tired of you racist Democraps calling any black Republican an uncle Tom. Well I would rather be an uncle Tom to the GOP,then be a broke field slave to the KKK(demopuke)party. You wont lynch this boy. Anybody but Obama/Biden/Democommie 2012.....

October 2, 2011 07:54 am at 7:54 am |