McCain cautions Christie
October 2nd, 2011

McCain cautions Christie

(CNN) - Republican Sen. John McCain issued a warning Sunday about presidential politics to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who is reportedly considering entering the GOP presidential nominating contest.

Although the 2008 GOP presidential nominee praised the first-term governor’s record in the Garden State, he also said the potential late entry would put Christie at a political disadvantage.

“I think he’s done a great job as governor. I think he’d be a very viable candidate,” McCain said on CBS’ “Face the Nation.” But “let’s remember he’s starting from way behind in fund-raising and organization and other areas.”

McCain, Arizona’s senior senator, warned of a “flavor of the month” climate as Republicans prepare choose their nominee to face President Barack Obama in 2012.

“I think that there is a bit of a caution. … The swimming pool looks a lot better until you jump right in,” McCain said. “The water may not be quite as warm as you think.”

McCain expressed optimism about several top GOP elected officials, including Christie, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, senators Marco Rubio of Florida, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, Mark Kirk of Illinois, and Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire. He also mentioned representatives Eric Cantor of Virginia and Paul Ryan of Wisconsin.

“We have the deepest bench in the Republican Party now that I have ever seen in my lifetime,” McCain said. “And I think that we have a, a good crop of candidates. I think the party will rally around the nominee.”

Filed under: 2012 • Chris Christie • John McCain
  1. Nare

McCain lost his credibility a loooong time ago.

October 3, 2011 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  2. Mark

The PARTY will rally around the Republican nominee,
    but the COUNTRY won't, unless it's Romney. I'm an
    independent, and I haven't seen any other than
    Romney worthy for me to vote Republican, and that
    includes those mentioned as maybe jumping in.

October 3, 2011 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  3. B

The GOP has nothing but a long bench of potential losers Mr. McCain and you know it.

No one listens to you anymore anyway, as you have No credibility. You gave that up a long time ago!

Go play Golf... Fool

October 3, 2011 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  4. Woman In California

I can't wait for Christie to "jump right in". Once the world sees him on the center stage sweating and breathing hard in a cold air conditioned room – he's done. Not to mention it would just take too many special preparations for him. The WH would have to be COMPLETELY renovated starting with the doorways and can you imagine this guy dining with dignitaries? I can't. Christie would be better off to wait and loose 150 lbs. BEFORE he even considers.

October 3, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  5. Keith

Christie will be loved by all the Judge Judy fans. Thoughs who get off on seeing otheres ridiculed and dismissed. Just what this country needs.

October 3, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  6. GeorgeBos95

Given McCain's history of poor decisions (Palin as VP candidate comes to mind), I don't think he's qualified to provide advice to Christie.

October 3, 2011 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  7. bks

Well, Mr McCain chose Sarah Palin as VP and see where he landed up otherwise he had a chance to be elected in 2008.
    So he played to the right wing of the party and that is not good for any candidate seeking to become President.

October 3, 2011 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  8. ChiefGunner

Taking political advice from McCain is like taking diplomatic advice from Carter.

October 3, 2011 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  9. ooops

McCain thinks? what a joke

October 3, 2011 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  10. clarke

It is time for McCain to retire.

October 3, 2011 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  11. Victoria

yes john mccain your right the party may rally around and support your candidate, but those of us who care about people and put them before corporations will not. We already have the best man for the job. Obama 2012

October 3, 2011 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  12. ron mcloughlin

I guess Sen McCain is afraid that Christie will deny him the last minute "draft McCain" at the Convention! To paraphrase Bush 2 "bring him on."

October 3, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |