Monday Night Football' intro pulled after Hank Williams Jr. comments
October 3rd, 2011

Monday Night Football' intro pulled after Hank Williams Jr. comments

(CNN) – For the first time in years, "Monday Night Football" viewers did not hear Hank Williams Jr.'s intro "Are You Ready for Some Football?" after ESPN pulled the song from the broadcast following remarks Williams made about President Barack Obama.

In an appearance on Fox News' "Fox and Friends" Monday morning, Williams referred to a June golf game with Obama and House Speaker John Boehner on the same team, against Vice President Joe Biden and Ohio Gov. John Kasich, as "one of the biggest political mistakes ever."

FULL STORY
  1. Just a thought

So, Mr. Hank Williams JR; shouldn't we all show respect to the President of this great nation...even if he is black? Wow, Sir...its terrible to lose respect for you but that JUST HAPPENED FOR ME, BigTime. Is this racism, or unpatriotic insults, treasonous, or the usual GOP/Tea Party political stupidity. whatever it is....it deserves a complete repudiation by every decent citizen of this country. 99% of the guys playing football on YOUR SHOW would agree. ARE YOU READY FOR THAT FOOTBALL??

October 3, 2011 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  2. Indy

Thats got to hurt ! This was probably the only job Williams had in the last few years. Little does Jr know, but Boehner actually quite likes the President, he just does not dare show it in public but make no mistake Boehner likes the President and I am sure history will show that to us in the future.

October 3, 2011 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  3. larry

More silly scare tactics by a right wing nut with nothing to offer toward a solution so he comes up with this to scare the ill informed. I hate the true colors my country is showing during this adminatration

October 3, 2011 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  4. bennie

It to bad because I like hank Williams Jr do not understand why he was pulled his remarks where the way he feel

October 3, 2011 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  5. CA Dream USA

Finally those who disrespect our President get's checked....

October 3, 2011 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  6. Vanessa

This is just plain WRONG!! it disgusts me & saddens me greatly the insults our president has to endure! This only reinforces my belief that Republicans are a racist lot. Only makes me, a Hispanic voter, support our president even more! Hispanics for Obama!!

October 4, 2011 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  7. Bonnie Hart

I have been voting for over fifty years and we are teaching our young to hate, be bitter and even harm those who don't agree with our opinions and it's only going to get worse with so many showing poor and disgussting example's. It was really beautiful when we really were the United States but that unfortunately doesn't fit us anymore and it's just sad to show such disrespect to any President. After all, the people voted and until his term is over we should show respectt if we expect our youth and those in other Countries to respect us. And now this will continue into our future Presidents. Shame on you who started and continue this disrespect for you are doing your Country and Countryman far more harm than good.

October 4, 2011 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  8. PhonyRepubs

I used to love his song, but no more. We do not need this kind of person spouting off his hatred of this president.
    He should thank his lucky stars that a Repub is not our Pres but if by chance and only by chance God forbid, one becomes our next Pres, I want to hear him then and see what tune he sings then. He will be so sorry.

October 4, 2011 03:30 am at 3:30 am |
  9. AlaskaPalin

Its time that these monopolies be broken up for they have become a threat to our freedom. To big to fail anyone.

October 4, 2011 03:45 am at 3:45 am |
  10. Jerry

He is nothing short of a "Drunken Drug Addict!!!!! I never like country music, I thought Hank Williams SR sounded like a lonely wolf "Crying in the night?? His son is a disgrace to Americans right now! And will stay there forever!

October 4, 2011 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  11. The Elephant In The Room

This is what happens when you glorify an entertainer; a celebrity. It use to be that people had enough self pride & self restraint to NOT MOUTH OFF about things they were not qualified or experienced enough to make. Not anymore.

He is the visual and auditory stereotypical "hick" or "redneck" that is viewed as the core of the T-Party. I hope Williams is dropped for his indiscretions.

October 4, 2011 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  12. Rudy NYC

Hank Williams, Jr. lost my respect nearly two decades ago when he was scheduled to perform at the Country Music Awards. Almost all of his contemporaries asked him not to perform his current record breaking, mega-hit song on broadcast television. He rejected their entreaties and sang "The South Should Have Won" anyway. A song that inspired his Monday Night Football theme.

October 4, 2011 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  13. Squigman

The spokesperson for the new America. You want him, you can have him. I'll bet his Father would be real proud.

October 4, 2011 08:25 am at 8:25 am |