Christie: 'Now is not my time'
October 4th, 2011

Christie: 'Now is not my time'

(CNN) - Republican Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey announced Tuesday he will not run for president in 2012.

The first-term governor said the pressure he received over the past few months caused him to consider throwing his hat in the ring - after repeatedly shooting down rumors - but that ultimately he is committed to his position in the Garden State.

"Now is not my time. I have a commitment to New Jersey that I simply will not abandon," Christie said at a press conference in Trenton. "That's the promise I made to the people of this state when I took office."

Christie fielded recent calls to run for president and spent time discussing the possibility of a White House bid with his family, friends and operatives. Now, having decided against a bid, Christie said he does not "feel any sense of regret at all."

"I felt like it was my obligation as I said before given the seriousness and the amount of people who were coming to me and asking me to reconsider to reconsider and I did," Christie said. "In the end I came back to the same place I was in the whole year."

He pushed back against reports that his family was skeptical throughout the process, saying they supported him, whether he decided to run for president or not.

When asked about the rest of the GOP presidential field, Christie said his decision was not affected by the strength or weakness of the pool.

"None of them were a factor," he said before adding that he was not prepared to make an endorsement.

He also brushed aside suggestions, in his typically brash fashion that he would serve in the No. 2 spot on the Republican ticket.

“Listen, I don’t imagine I’m going to be asked. I don’t think I have the personality to be asked,” Christie said. “I mean, seriously, can you imagine? You know, the guy would probably want to get a food taster. I don’t know, seriously, I don’t see it.”

The newly minted vice chair of the Republican Governors Association said he is now focused on making sure President Barack Obama only serves one term as president.

"He's failed the American people because he's failed that absolute litmus test to be President of the United States and that's to know how to lead and how to decide," Christie said.

Christie light heartedly addressed the coverage of his weight that escalated in recent weeks, particularly among comedians. As long as the jokes are funny, he is OK with the coverage, he said.

"For me, their job is to be funny. And if one of the things they want to make fun of is my weight, it's fair game," Christie said. "I'm a public figure … All I care about is that they actually are funny so that I can at least laugh about it while they are mocking me."

Filed under: 2012 • Chris Christie
  1. sara

This guy is soo full of himself. They, Corporations, the wealthy, lobbyist etc. "begged him". These hacks likes anger, no wonder they're miserable, anger doesn't feel good. They're stuck with the billion dollar mansion living, 7 times career politician/CEO, flip-flopping, don't stand for something, fail for anything ROMNEY. LOL

October 4, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  2. hongli

I guess that Sarah Palin is the next Gop "s "Great White Hope". Will She or Won't she? the Answer remains the same --Palin will NEVER win the White House.

October 4, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  3. jack

Thank God! If that nasty, bully was ever president, he would start a world war with his arrogant style and big mouth. Now we in New Jersey are the only citizens that have to put up with him.

October 4, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  4. Cop

Geech. Maybe if this guy says "NO" twenty or thirty more times then the press will believe him. Talk about trying to railroad someone.

October 4, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  5. Cedar Rapids

"Seriousness – This is the 1567th time he has said he won't run. Will you get it now mainstream media?"

Dont blame the mainstream media for getting this guy to actually come out and officially announce he isnt running, blame the GOP faithful that kept bringing up the hope that he would run.

October 4, 2011 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  6. Kweg Yung

With half of America aging (ready for retirement) and the other half being non-white, it was fairly easy for the Republican party to decide to sell out... In their eyes we're all just expensive liabilities. Communist China is the new place of opportunity! With few regulations and government underlings cheaply bought, it's the new Mecca for Corporate America to exploit ... But not to worry, ye lowly Americans: After the GOP finishes destroying us (U.S.), the rich will be back in droves buying up what's left for pennies on the dollar. When that time comes the GOP will be there again, arms outstretched again, fists filled with cash again...

October 4, 2011 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  7. thomas

Good news ,
    Chris Christie wont be flying Air Force one to his sons little league games !

The morning Joe guy was wrong about Christie running for president , just like he was wrong about WMDs in Iraq !

Perry / Flipper
    2012

October 4, 2011 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  8. Alina77

Who cares? In less then a week Christie would be called "moderate" by the Tea Party "parrots", and he would be done. Christie will wait till people will get rid of the Tea Party in 2012 and will try to run in 2016 (if his asthma will allow him).

October 4, 2011 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  9. Larry L

This is a wise choice. Many people may share my view – ready to vote for a person like Christie but unwilling to support what the Republican Party has become. Maybe the GOP will redeem itself and offer America a real choice rather than a political party based on fear, hate and division.

October 4, 2011 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  10. Cedar Rapids

It would have been fun to have him run and get the nomination because the headlines the day after the election would have read 'Christie creamed'

October 4, 2011 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  11. Jersey George

Unlike Palin, Christie isn't a quitter.

October 4, 2011 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  12. mkey

Thank you Governor Christie for recognizing your obligation to the citizens of New Jersey, and for following your heart.

October 4, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  13. Reasonably

Christie sticks around to do the job he was voted in for. Good for him. Sarah only saw the chance at celebrity and ditched her "much loved" Alaska in a heartbeat. Shame on her. At least it should be, but the Palin Zombies only see what they want to see, not the celebrity-whore that she is.

October 4, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  14. Paul Willson

He s no Palin who ran away from her job as governor of Alaska . Sounds like he knows what he wants to be doing. Refreshing to hear

October 4, 2011 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  15. Alina77

Christie would have all of this billionaires like Koch brothers that were ready to throw money on his campaign (like there is no tomorrow). Christie knows that if he wing the Presidency , he will be less likely to be a President (the Koch brothers will rule the world, not him).

October 4, 2011 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  16. tj

I'm glad he isn't running. He is doing a horrible job in new jersey, I didn't vote for him and he would be worse then Regan and the two bush's

October 4, 2011 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  17. West of the Hudson

Thanks Gov. We still need you here to fix what's broken in the Garden State.

October 4, 2011 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  18. JMissal

He knows this election cycle is going to be NASTY and, while I hate to say it, I believe Obama will win again; Christie has to know this. Christie will wait until 2016 if Obama stays in and 2020 if he doesn't.

October 4, 2011 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  19. Dawn Kucera

A governor who is honoring his commitment to his state - like most others do. Sarah, are you listening??

October 4, 2011 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  20. Robert Bolder

Once a jerk, always a jerk. Christie had better stay out of the race he would have gotten his hat handed to him by President Obama.

October 4, 2011 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  21. BJNJ

Gov: Straighten out NJ first; then to the US!. We need you here

BJNJ

October 4, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  22. hongli

Jersey George--- Christie might not be a quitter like Palin but he's certainly not a fighter. Don't you smell something "FISHY" about Christie not wanting to run for President while the folks in New Jersey want to boot hm out of office very soon?

October 4, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  23. Mindie from India

@ Charles
    People are looking desperately to find anyone besides Obama!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    but alas no GOP candidate has what it takes which guarantees Obama's 2nd and deserving term.

October 4, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  24. Jana

Inspite of the fact Christie is a Republican he's the only one compared to those wacked out nutjobs currenty running that makes any sense when he talk about issues.

October 4, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  25. Drama Llama

Says he won't run .... for the FIVE THOUSANDTH TIME.

Move along, people.