Christie: 'Now is not my time'
October 4th, 2011

Christie: 'Now is not my time'

(CNN) - Republican Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey announced Tuesday he will not run for president in 2012.

The first-term governor said the pressure he received over the past few months caused him to consider throwing his hat in the ring - after repeatedly shooting down rumors - but that ultimately he is committed to his position in the Garden State.

"Now is not my time. I have a commitment to New Jersey that I simply will not abandon," Christie said at a press conference in Trenton. "That's the promise I made to the people of this state when I took office."

Christie fielded recent calls to run for president and spent time discussing the possibility of a White House bid with his family, friends and operatives. Now, having decided against a bid, Christie said he does not "feel any sense of regret at all."

"I felt like it was my obligation as I said before given the seriousness and the amount of people who were coming to me and asking me to reconsider to reconsider and I did," Christie said. "In the end I came back to the same place I was in the whole year."

He pushed back against reports that his family was skeptical throughout the process, saying they supported him, whether he decided to run for president or not.

When asked about the rest of the GOP presidential field, Christie said his decision was not affected by the strength or weakness of the pool.

"None of them were a factor," he said before adding that he was not prepared to make an endorsement.

He also brushed aside suggestions, in his typically brash fashion that he would serve in the No. 2 spot on the Republican ticket.

“Listen, I don’t imagine I’m going to be asked. I don’t think I have the personality to be asked,” Christie said. “I mean, seriously, can you imagine? You know, the guy would probably want to get a food taster. I don’t know, seriously, I don’t see it.”

The newly minted vice chair of the Republican Governors Association said he is now focused on making sure President Barack Obama only serves one term as president.

"He's failed the American people because he's failed that absolute litmus test to be President of the United States and that's to know how to lead and how to decide," Christie said.

Christie light heartedly addressed the coverage of his weight that escalated in recent weeks, particularly among comedians. As long as the jokes are funny, he is OK with the coverage, he said.

"For me, their job is to be funny. And if one of the things they want to make fun of is my weight, it's fair game," Christie said. "I'm a public figure … All I care about is that they actually are funny so that I can at least laugh about it while they are mocking me."

Filed under: 2012 • Chris Christie
  1. Ancient Texan

While I admire Christie and his blunt message and ability to call a spade a spade, I think 2016 or later would be the best time for his run for the president's office. A little more experience would be a much an asset as anything.

October 4, 2011 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  2. davetharave

Perhaps everyone will believe him now. HE'S NOT RUNNING !! ... Leave the poor guy alone. HE'S NOT RUNNING !! ...

October 4, 2011 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  3. Kweg Yung

Corporate America's expansion into China was paid for by the American taxpayer. Bush's “tax cuts for the rich” policy helped to fund this transition. That's why no American jobs were created but a lot of Chinese jobs were. Republican politicians represent the corporate rich, the 'job creators'. When was the last time you saw a job created in the U.S.? The rich don't pay tax in this country and their corporations are physically based in communist China; where, by the way, SOCIALIZED healthcare and SOCIALIZED education are the norm. Republican politicians sold us (U.S.) out.

October 4, 2011 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  4. Rhope

Running would force him to do something about his bulging middle.... too much work, so he shall pass!

October 4, 2011 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  5. Java

I'm glad our Gov is staying put here in NJ. He has done more in 2 years than other NJ Gov's have done in 20+ years. Really thinks outside the box and doesn't believe in throwing money at problems as a way of fixing if it won't work. A great leader which is what we need in this country. I didn't vote for him first time around, but he will surely get my vote come elction time.

October 4, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  6. NateFromIndiana

How many times does the poor guy have to say this before people believe him?

October 4, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  7. American Pie

I would never vote for a nominee that is that obese. What would the chances be that he suffers a heart attack in office? Too much stress goes along with that job. I know it is the norm for Americans to be obese, but it is not healthy no matter how large of a percentile of Americans are overweight. What is wrong with us that we think the norm is to be fat??? I cannot help but watch him and think to myslef...what is the problem that he cannot put his fork down...or stop with one dessert??? Does he not look in the mirror and see something is wrong with his body?

October 4, 2011 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  8. Bill (Louisiana)

Good for him, at least he realizes it would be a waste of money to run when he did not have a chance in heck of winning. Perry needs to realize same and bail out. As an Independent, I think a McCain-Huckabee ticket would be the best for the country right now. I voted for Obama because I did not like McCain's choice of VP. Still don't like it. Obama and Biden look good compared to all that are running now, and I think OBAMA is not that great. Christy would have been a nightmare. Lawyers tend to turn people off because of their arrogance.

October 4, 2011 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  9. John

Who the heck would want the Job anyways might as well put the gun to your head now

October 4, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  10. John

Lynda, I am afraid that people like you get elected. your not interested in the democratic process but one party control.

October 4, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  11. Maris

No, now is not your time. It is, however, time to go on a diet.

October 4, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  12. tfbuckfutter

Would it be different if, instead of being called "running for the presidency" it were called "eating for the presidency"?

October 4, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  13. Justin

Not running for president? That man isn't running anywhere...Unless it's to a double meat cheeseburger!

October 4, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  14. kdarkasian

This guy is pretty smart. What he needs to do is lose 100 lbs. because he his not a bad looking bloke and get back into the race. He would get my vote. Being rotund, corpulent, or obese is no way to stand out to stupid American voters who look mainly at looks nowadays as the single biggest credential for being elected...that of course followed by voice as in the case of the current prik.

October 4, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  15. boulevardier

It's very simple, Romney gets the nomination, selects Christie as his running mate. They serve two terms, Christie runs for POTUS eight years from now. You heard it here first folks.

October 4, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  16. Copper's Donut Shoppe

I am disappointed. I was looking for a vetting that would get to the root of his psychological need to eat to the point of ill-health and morbid-obesity. My money is on family of origin issues.

October 4, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  17. Golden Girl

john says:
    October 4, 2011 10:54 am at 10:54 am
    Super…..yawn….jump in….there’s PLENTY of ummmmm…….room in the pool…
    --------
    There won't be much room (or water) after he gets in.

October 4, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  18. john

He's a great fiscal hawk but he's a lib on jihad, 2nd amendment and illegal aliens. He, and NJ and America are better off with him out of the race.

Now we Conservative Republican can concentrate on a choosing a fire-breather to take down the islamo-marxists; we don't need CNN OR A BUNCH OF LIBS TELLING US WHO TO RUN.

October 4, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  19. BeverlyNC

Republicans have NO credible candidates and NOT ONE is a leader. Not one has been able to tell the truth. Not one has a solution for the PEOPLE. ALL are bought and paid for by corporations. Do we want a government for and by the PEOPLE or do we want the CORPORATE DICTATORSHIP REPUBLICANS ARE CREATING???
    NO MORE REPUBLICANS in any local, state, or national office come 2012. We need leaders who care abou the PEOPLE they swore an oath to serve and are willing to WORK like President Obama and the Democrats for REAL plans for JOBS and a RESTORED ECONOMY with no Republican obstructionists blocking everything to help We the People.

October 4, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. BushCheiney

He will make a good Dough-boy commercial

October 4, 2011 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  21. Trickster

Seems like it would take more then four years to widen the doorways in the white house to fit this guy in.

October 4, 2011 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  22. BushCheiney

GOP has no men or women of calibre. Republicans are laden with hate, racism and greed!!

October 4, 2011 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  23. Osti

Probably won't walk for President either.

October 4, 2011 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  24. vic , nashville ,tn

He can’t run how many time he told that

October 4, 2011 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  25. Fred

Electability

Let's be honest here with ourselves. Most of us know very well that Christie's very physical image, being obese, gravely would affect his electability. The image of the president is a serious consideration for many of us. He simply does not have such image, his image is the worst I have seen with respect to an aspiring American president.

Such an image conveys poor health or potential health issues in the future. Being physically active is something we look for in a president and we should readily admit that. Christie is just not ready for prime time.

There was the same hype with Perry entering the race. He has the perfect image, but is just not ready for prime time. We learned that after is disappointing debate performances. Christie would have the same experience with regards to his stance on important issues which conservatives care about like gay-marriage.

So far, Romney already seem to be the Republican nominee and he too will have a tough time against Obama with Obamney care and his ability to flip flop on important issues.

Electability is important and Christie just does not cut the slack, so that leaves us with Romney. Let's see how he will do.

October 4, 2011 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |