Christie: 'Now is not my time'
October 4th, 2011

Christie: 'Now is not my time'

(CNN) - Republican Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey announced Tuesday he will not run for president in 2012.

The first-term governor said the pressure he received over the past few months caused him to consider throwing his hat in the ring - after repeatedly shooting down rumors - but that ultimately he is committed to his position in the Garden State.

"Now is not my time. I have a commitment to New Jersey that I simply will not abandon," Christie said at a press conference in Trenton. "That's the promise I made to the people of this state when I took office."

Christie fielded recent calls to run for president and spent time discussing the possibility of a White House bid with his family, friends and operatives. Now, having decided against a bid, Christie said he does not "feel any sense of regret at all."

"I felt like it was my obligation as I said before given the seriousness and the amount of people who were coming to me and asking me to reconsider to reconsider and I did," Christie said. "In the end I came back to the same place I was in the whole year."

He pushed back against reports that his family was skeptical throughout the process, saying they supported him, whether he decided to run for president or not.

When asked about the rest of the GOP presidential field, Christie said his decision was not affected by the strength or weakness of the pool.

"None of them were a factor," he said before adding that he was not prepared to make an endorsement.

He also brushed aside suggestions, in his typically brash fashion that he would serve in the No. 2 spot on the Republican ticket.

“Listen, I don’t imagine I’m going to be asked. I don’t think I have the personality to be asked,” Christie said. “I mean, seriously, can you imagine? You know, the guy would probably want to get a food taster. I don’t know, seriously, I don’t see it.”

The newly minted vice chair of the Republican Governors Association said he is now focused on making sure President Barack Obama only serves one term as president.

"He's failed the American people because he's failed that absolute litmus test to be President of the United States and that's to know how to lead and how to decide," Christie said.

Christie light heartedly addressed the coverage of his weight that escalated in recent weeks, particularly among comedians. As long as the jokes are funny, he is OK with the coverage, he said.

"For me, their job is to be funny. And if one of the things they want to make fun of is my weight, it's fair game," Christie said. "I'm a public figure … All I care about is that they actually are funny so that I can at least laugh about it while they are mocking me."

Filed under: 2012 • Chris Christie
  1. Trickster

does this guy look like mike from mike and molly. He is hungry feed the man ASAP. Diabetic coma anybody

October 4, 2011 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  2. Middle America

Make room for the rise of Gingrich and his 21st Century Contract with America.

October 4, 2011 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  3. unretired05

NO, NO, a thousand times NO. Leave the guy alone. Just because the GOP field is anemic is no reason to bring up this non story.

October 4, 2011 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  4. Dani

Give credit where credit is due. Sarah ROCKED !

------------------------

I just thank my lucky stars that the Imbecilla from Wasilla will never be POTUS. Who gives a hoot what else she does behind the scenes so long as she never sits in the Oval Office and her family never occupies the White House. That's good enough for this American. Whew!

October 4, 2011 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  5. MCR

That means he'll be able to focus on destroying New Jersey without any distractions.

October 4, 2011 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  6. Trickster

give this guy a happy meal times 10. also, he says he has a commttment to new jersey. He needs to have a committment to his belt size and a diet plan. Sow your stomach you chubby terd.

October 4, 2011 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  7. Jersey George

Anyone saying Christie is doing a great job in Jersey is clueless. Unemployment is higher than the national average; my property taxes are still increasing; my health care insurance costs are still increasing annually even though BCBS of NJ is making a 75% profit on me (premiums less paid claims); state roads and bridges in need of repair; food and heating oil prices soaring; so on and so forth. Yeah, he's really doing a great job!

October 4, 2011 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  8. Jim in San Mateo

I'll have to hand it to Christy. He is smart for not getting in the race (the Republicans are going to lose and they are beginning to figure that out) and he has a sense of humor who can laugh at himself. He's also willing to honor his commitment to the State of New Jersey. That's a trait the Republicans can use more of.

October 4, 2011 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  9. WG

I love how Gov. Christie sucker punches the President then runs like a cheetah all in the same breath. If the president has failed then defeat him. You know, I doubt the Gov. really believes his own b.s.

October 4, 2011 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  10. Seby

America You have a lot other things to think about. If this gay goes to the bath room, that's breaking news. Enoungh already with this man who thinks he is already the President of America.

October 4, 2011 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  11. PigsRus

The Pig is not Running, how about a Flying Pig. Oink! Oink!

October 4, 2011 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  12. NVa Native

Only the craziest of right-wing nut jobs are running.
    Which proves even the lowest of low GOPers know Obama will win in 2012. But watching the tee-baggers twist in agony will be full – once more.
    I love seeing the right-wing drama queens in their full glory – it's right up there with Monty Python!

October 4, 2011 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  13. John Henson

It's comforting, putting self before country.

October 4, 2011 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  14. oldcoaldog

IF ONLY that BOOB Obama would have had enough sense to say this 4 years ago...
    Draft Hillary now, Because Obama is an incompetent, useless, clueless, ignorant BOOB.

October 4, 2011 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  15. Robert CloosDoosch

Apparently he figured out that being a half term quitter is not a wise career move.

October 4, 2011 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  16. Albuquerque Sue

So Christie will now focus of making sure Obama is a "one term" president. What an agenda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obama 2012

October 4, 2011 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  17. russinmaine

We have all witnessed the end result of a candidate running for president before he is ready and qualified and it hasn't been a pretty picture for the American people. The difference between Christie and Obama is that Christie is smart enough to know he is not ready!

October 4, 2011 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  18. Jersey George

@Founders1791

Get over it Liberal and Rinos... Sarah Palin is the conservative Star Quarter back on issues and values. Obama is not even close to her record of success! Be forewarned Democrats, Sarah Palin will be your best friend in the White House. All the others will be under enormous pressure to "ignore you" after Obumbles loses.

Palin doesn't have time for the nomination, she's too busy searching for Glen Rice for a reunion.

October 4, 2011 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  19. Fred

How many more times does he have to say it...He is NOT running....even if he did why would I or anyone vote for him because that means he already lied to us about not running.

October 4, 2011 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  20. vermontconstipation

I don't care what he does as long as I don't have to sit beside his f_t a_s on a plane

October 4, 2011 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  21. hank jennings

None of these guys is ready for the big game. Just smack talk and trash prnouncement are not enough. You need to have the sunstance andthen you have to deliever. Christie was right on one count. He knows the limit of his capability. he would have been really smacked around-in short, whipped!!! All the President's plans and programs have been voted against. I do believe that 95of them are sound, but Tearepublicon Party could not make $$$$ from the donors, they voted them down in series with no programs from them. Just say No, No,No and everybody will listen to them. They are all smack Talkers. Bullcraps walk!! Show me the solution.

October 4, 2011 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  22. Brownstain

Just as long as I don't have to sit beside him on a plane.

October 4, 2011 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  23. Tao

This guy single handedly lost the state of New Jersey over $1B in federal funding for education, thus raising everyone’s taxes. Mine went up $1,000 in one year. He cost my school district $72M alone! Guess who’s assessment went DOWN by $300,000 thus reducing his property taxes greatly. Yeah, Mr. Wouldn’t-Pass-A-Physical-If-Elected-President. Hypocritical Republican bozo! I almost want him to run so all his dirty laundry will be aired.

October 4, 2011 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  24. tbrnotb

Are you sure, Faux news and the Republican right-wing media, that he didn't leave the door open a crack? Not a sliver?
    He's on;ly said he wouldn't run about 20 times. let's hope this finally puts the issue to rest. Next up? Sarah Palin!

October 4, 2011 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  25. kurtis

Do you really think that any Republican that's worth a crap will run during these tough times? Well wait, they are running away like the cowards they are.

October 4, 2011 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |