Christie: 'Now is not my time'
October 4th, 2011

Christie: 'Now is not my time'

(CNN) - Republican Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey announced Tuesday he will not run for president in 2012.

The first-term governor said the pressure he received over the past few months caused him to consider throwing his hat in the ring - after repeatedly shooting down rumors - but that ultimately he is committed to his position in the Garden State.

"Now is not my time. I have a commitment to New Jersey that I simply will not abandon," Christie said at a press conference in Trenton. "That's the promise I made to the people of this state when I took office."

Christie fielded recent calls to run for president and spent time discussing the possibility of a White House bid with his family, friends and operatives. Now, having decided against a bid, Christie said he does not "feel any sense of regret at all."

"I felt like it was my obligation as I said before given the seriousness and the amount of people who were coming to me and asking me to reconsider to reconsider and I did," Christie said. "In the end I came back to the same place I was in the whole year."

He pushed back against reports that his family was skeptical throughout the process, saying they supported him, whether he decided to run for president or not.

When asked about the rest of the GOP presidential field, Christie said his decision was not affected by the strength or weakness of the pool.

"None of them were a factor," he said before adding that he was not prepared to make an endorsement.

He also brushed aside suggestions, in his typically brash fashion that he would serve in the No. 2 spot on the Republican ticket.

“Listen, I don’t imagine I’m going to be asked. I don’t think I have the personality to be asked,” Christie said. “I mean, seriously, can you imagine? You know, the guy would probably want to get a food taster. I don’t know, seriously, I don’t see it.”

The newly minted vice chair of the Republican Governors Association said he is now focused on making sure President Barack Obama only serves one term as president.

"He's failed the American people because he's failed that absolute litmus test to be President of the United States and that's to know how to lead and how to decide," Christie said.

Christie light heartedly addressed the coverage of his weight that escalated in recent weeks, particularly among comedians. As long as the jokes are funny, he is OK with the coverage, he said.

"For me, their job is to be funny. And if one of the things they want to make fun of is my weight, it's fair game," Christie said. "I'm a public figure … All I care about is that they actually are funny so that I can at least laugh about it while they are mocking me."

Filed under: 2012 • Chris Christie
  1. Joe D

This is bad news. And probably four more years of the great divider, Obama. A president who cares more for illegals than for Americans.

October 4, 2011 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  2. Jake

To bad. He would be the only republican besides Romney who would ever get my vote over Obama.

October 4, 2011 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  3. The Real Tom Paine

Haven't we heard this before?

October 4, 2011 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  4. JimmyNelson

im an Independent and will vote for Obama again.. but Christie is a breath of fresh air for the GOP. Him and Huntsman are the only GOP candidates with progressive moderation..

October 4, 2011 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  5. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

President Taft 2.0? No, thanks.

October 4, 2011 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  6. Alex

In other news: water is wet.

October 4, 2011 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  7. Scify

Wow, really? Ya' think? The man has been saying all year that he won't run, and yet we're acting surprised about this?

October 4, 2011 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  8. Christopher

The GOP is stuck with Romney. Whether they like it or not. All other Republican candidates will fall to the side. Palin will not join in the race. She will lose her schtick. She's a personality with "if she runs, she can win." She will lose also losing her persona. She keeps things alive just to keep in the publics eye. The question is, who will Romney pick for a running mate. Obama has not really started to campaign. It's budding, but there will be a upswing. All is aligning for the big fight.
    There will be a "Middle Class Spring", a Republican "Job Creator" retoric, a Democratic win. I do not know when Obama will start his real campaign, all are waiting. The elections are still a whole year away, but January 2012 a lot will surface.

October 4, 2011 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  9. David

Christie needs to refocus his efforts to benefit NJ but he instead, will spend the next 4 years preparing for his 2016 bid. Just when I thought the GOP race was going to get interesting. Perry's out, Romney's too clean, Bachmann's a loon, Paul is unelectable and Cain, well Cain does have a decent resume. I guess it's Obama in 2012.

October 4, 2011 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  10. lc

too bad, he would have been a great president. However, it was probably for the best not to enter the race since its way too late and he owes it to Jersey to serve out his term

October 4, 2011 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  11. Alex

Christie for pres in 2020!

October 4, 2011 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  12. Agentkurth

DUH! Hasnt he already announced this MULTIPLE times! Why is the media so obsessed with wondering if he will run or not when he specifically states "NO IM NOT RUNNING"! Get over it and find someone else to dream about!

October 4, 2011 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  13. Ceedog007

The miliion dollar questions; Is he ready for PRIME TIME and how is his HEALTH?

October 4, 2011 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  14. Bob

Christy was probably the only guy who could have beaten Obama.

October 4, 2011 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  15. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Mixed feelings about that. If he did, that would have gotten him out of the state for a while which would have hurt his reelection chances here in NJ. Now that he isn't, we can demand that he stop taking all of those trips that boost his political standing.

October 4, 2011 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  16. walter

That seals the deal for Obama 2012

October 4, 2011 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  17. Fred

This guy has been saying this for WEEKS now!!! How is this news?

October 4, 2011 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  18. TeaPartyIsForLittleGirls

I was hoping I will see Christie and Gingrich fight over a donut.

October 4, 2011 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  19. General Specific

1pm eh? Everyone will be watching the Apple news conference at that time.

October 4, 2011 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  20. sc

He's said this all along...

October 4, 2011 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  21. Me

Good. He's a loud mouth who undoubtedly would have had a heart attack during a debate.

October 4, 2011 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  22. The King

Coward. Of course, he didn't want to take part of the landslide butt whipping the GOP is going to take in '12. Maybe he can run in '16 after the Dems have finally finished cleaning up the disaster they inherited in '08.
    The policies of "conservatism" DO NOT WORK!! They haven't for 50 years, and they never will again.

October 4, 2011 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  23. Sam

How is this breaking news? he has been saying this for couple of months. He wouldn't have a chance against Obama anyways... and while we are at it, we should add a weight requirement for the president.

October 4, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  24. Jeff from Columbus

Good call from Christie. He doesn't have enough experience yet. He'll be a great candidate in 2016 or 2020, just not now.

We DESPERATELY need a qualified person in the White House. Romney, Hillary, SOMEBODY. I'll vote for whichever party nominates the most qualified candidate.

In 2012, our country's election motto should be, "Its the RESUME, Stupid!"

October 4, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  25. clearfog

Christie should run. Daily. And put down the fork.

October 4, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |