Christie: 'Now is not my time'
October 4th, 2011

Christie: 'Now is not my time'

(CNN) - Republican Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey announced Tuesday he will not run for president in 2012.

The first-term governor said the pressure he received over the past few months caused him to consider throwing his hat in the ring - after repeatedly shooting down rumors - but that ultimately he is committed to his position in the Garden State.

"Now is not my time. I have a commitment to New Jersey that I simply will not abandon," Christie said at a press conference in Trenton. "That's the promise I made to the people of this state when I took office."

Christie fielded recent calls to run for president and spent time discussing the possibility of a White House bid with his family, friends and operatives. Now, having decided against a bid, Christie said he does not "feel any sense of regret at all."

"I felt like it was my obligation as I said before given the seriousness and the amount of people who were coming to me and asking me to reconsider to reconsider and I did," Christie said. "In the end I came back to the same place I was in the whole year."

He pushed back against reports that his family was skeptical throughout the process, saying they supported him, whether he decided to run for president or not.

When asked about the rest of the GOP presidential field, Christie said his decision was not affected by the strength or weakness of the pool.

"None of them were a factor," he said before adding that he was not prepared to make an endorsement.

He also brushed aside suggestions, in his typically brash fashion that he would serve in the No. 2 spot on the Republican ticket.

“Listen, I don’t imagine I’m going to be asked. I don’t think I have the personality to be asked,” Christie said. “I mean, seriously, can you imagine? You know, the guy would probably want to get a food taster. I don’t know, seriously, I don’t see it.”

The newly minted vice chair of the Republican Governors Association said he is now focused on making sure President Barack Obama only serves one term as president.

"He's failed the American people because he's failed that absolute litmus test to be President of the United States and that's to know how to lead and how to decide," Christie said.

Christie light heartedly addressed the coverage of his weight that escalated in recent weeks, particularly among comedians. As long as the jokes are funny, he is OK with the coverage, he said.

"For me, their job is to be funny. And if one of the things they want to make fun of is my weight, it's fair game," Christie said. "I'm a public figure … All I care about is that they actually are funny so that I can at least laugh about it while they are mocking me."

Filed under: 2012 • Chris Christie
  1. Scott

Nice work on the "breaking" news. He's been flat out saying NO for weeks.

October 4, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  2. fryin'Fish

Hellooooooooo McFly....this is only news if he said he IS going to run.

October 4, 2011 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  3. Bill

I think he has said no about a dozen times.

October 4, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  4. Linoge

It's about time Christie the Hut made this absolutely clear.

October 4, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  5. nokoolaidcowboy

Really? No surprise there. What he is not coming straight to say is "Look at me. Do you seriously think I can survive the rigors of being POTUS?".
    This is the guy that took the helicopter to his son's game, then a limo from within the park to the stands. The Right is so desperate it's comical!

October 4, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  6. duh

duh. He never said he's considering, he's held his ground that he will not run.

October 4, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  7. TripleA

Thank God he's not running. We couldn't afford to feed him if elected.

October 4, 2011 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  8. rand

Can you imagine if he had run?? The leftist press would have had a field day replaying the tape that says his heart isn't into running............... for the highest office in the land.

October 4, 2011 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  9. rosaadriana

This is not news. How many times has he already said he is not going to run? Now if he said he was going to run, that would be news.

October 4, 2011 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  10. Seriousness

This is the 1567th time he has said he won't run. Will you get it now mainstream media?

October 4, 2011 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  11. Jeremy

Leave him alone. If you don't like the other Republican nominees, vote for Obama!

October 4, 2011 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  12. ArtInChicago

No means no.

October 4, 2011 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  13. BE in TN

good decision, no chance of winning!!! chris vs. hillary will be interesting in 2016

October 4, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  14. Mr. Obvious

Why does the media make this such a headline issue? He said many times he was not interested in running and had no plans to run. THIS IS NOT "BREAKING NEWS"

October 4, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  15. T-Bone

And he won't run in 2013, 2014, 2015, etc .... probably won't even jog during that time either.

October 4, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  16. frankbear

Elvis has left the building!....Thank u vera much!

October 4, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  17. Al

Christie is about the only Republican left with some sense.

October 4, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  18. bb

Chris Christie's decision not to run in 2012 comes at no surprise. He has been saying no for the past several months.

October 4, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  19. none

This isn't breaking news ... he's been saying he won't be running for a month. Media corps have nothing better to do than to put attention elsewhere because all other GOP contenders besides Ron Paul are a flop.

October 4, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  20. Central Park West

Can't manage the heat i guess!

October 4, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  21. Rodney

Well, he said many times before that he wasn't going to run, and that didn't stop him from reconsidering his position. What's to stop him from reconsidering again?

October 4, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  22. bailoutsos

Yeah, GOP wanted Sarah Palin as his running mate. Good decision Christie.

October 4, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  23. The Lone Okie

He is too liberal for the teapublicans...

October 4, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  24. killingtheclock

Wasn't that what he said all along?

October 4, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  25. foreign traveler

Christie reminds me of Pat Paulsen, the comedian on the Laugh Show in the 1960's. "I will not run if nominated and will not serve if elected".

October 4, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |