Christie: 'Now is not my time'
October 4th, 2011

Christie: 'Now is not my time'

(CNN) - Republican Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey announced Tuesday he will not run for president in 2012.

The first-term governor said the pressure he received over the past few months caused him to consider throwing his hat in the ring - after repeatedly shooting down rumors - but that ultimately he is committed to his position in the Garden State.

"Now is not my time. I have a commitment to New Jersey that I simply will not abandon," Christie said at a press conference in Trenton. "That's the promise I made to the people of this state when I took office."

Christie fielded recent calls to run for president and spent time discussing the possibility of a White House bid with his family, friends and operatives. Now, having decided against a bid, Christie said he does not "feel any sense of regret at all."

"I felt like it was my obligation as I said before given the seriousness and the amount of people who were coming to me and asking me to reconsider to reconsider and I did," Christie said. "In the end I came back to the same place I was in the whole year."

He pushed back against reports that his family was skeptical throughout the process, saying they supported him, whether he decided to run for president or not.

When asked about the rest of the GOP presidential field, Christie said his decision was not affected by the strength or weakness of the pool.

"None of them were a factor," he said before adding that he was not prepared to make an endorsement.

He also brushed aside suggestions, in his typically brash fashion that he would serve in the No. 2 spot on the Republican ticket.

“Listen, I don’t imagine I’m going to be asked. I don’t think I have the personality to be asked,” Christie said. “I mean, seriously, can you imagine? You know, the guy would probably want to get a food taster. I don’t know, seriously, I don’t see it.”

The newly minted vice chair of the Republican Governors Association said he is now focused on making sure President Barack Obama only serves one term as president.

"He's failed the American people because he's failed that absolute litmus test to be President of the United States and that's to know how to lead and how to decide," Christie said.

Christie light heartedly addressed the coverage of his weight that escalated in recent weeks, particularly among comedians. As long as the jokes are funny, he is OK with the coverage, he said.

"For me, their job is to be funny. And if one of the things they want to make fun of is my weight, it's fair game," Christie said. "I'm a public figure … All I care about is that they actually are funny so that I can at least laugh about it while they are mocking me."

Filed under: 2012 • Chris Christie
  1. Jose

A good decision, Gov Christie has much to do in NJ. Please, please, find a way to lower our Property Taxes!!!!

October 4, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  2. newmoon2

Smart man! The GOP has signaled it's not serious about the 2012 election. Truthfully, they don't want it because the economy is in a pickle and THEY don't know how to fix it, either! So let the Dems take the hit and by the time Obama's had his second turn, things will be on the up-swing and they'll slide into the White House.

October 4, 2011 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  3. miss k

Oh my god. What a surprise. Seriously didn't expect that. Way out of left field. Who knew?

Now who's the next lucky guy or gal the media's going to try to bully into running now?

October 4, 2011 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  4. Wendy (London, Canada)

I would imagine that Obama is happy to hear this.

October 4, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  5. Sara Bean

My only hope now is that Hillary Clinton reconsiders . . .

October 4, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  6. cecilia

I bet he would take the 2nd spot

October 4, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  7. coder

wow – he's only stated this, unequivocally – at least a dozen times
    way to go CNN – for recycling the news yet again
    If he were to change is mind – it would make him a liar – which is a job description for any typical politician in Washington

October 4, 2011 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  8. erik60505

He was the only one I would vote for at this point. Please change your mind.

October 4, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  9. Carol

What a shame, we teach our children not to bully or make fun of someone because of the weight or size yet late night shows bully and made fun of this man, and so did everyone else. This country should be ashamed I think he could be a good candiate, but if I was him and heard all the jokes and comments about my size I do not think I would have run either. Why don't grown up pratice what they preach to the kids and learn not to bully....

October 4, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  10. Jason

This is a no-brainer, unless he seriously wanted to run as a 6-month-on, "flip-flopper"! Seriously, who would want to hamstring themselves off the bat, like that? He's said no a half dozen times! Somehow, I don't think he would change his answer!

October 4, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  11. Stewy

Yeah I think this is kind of old news, didn't he say that like a week or 2 ago?

October 4, 2011 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  12. Corey

Uh...this is breaking news? The dude has announced at least 5 times now that he is not running. The GOP must be seriously desperate for a viable candidate to keep hounding this guy.

October 4, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  13. Beth

This isn't breaking news. He's said over and over and over he won't be running. This is typical media trying to create a story where there isn't one. The 24/7 news networks have become insatiable beasts, creating "conflict" where there isn't any just to fill the time.

October 4, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  14. grist

He would have simply been another flavor of the week. Smart move to not run as lots of things about his past and current positions would have come to light and he would not have been as well liked by conservatives after getting in the race.

October 4, 2011 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  15. d

Good! not a fan

October 4, 2011 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  16. m

so basically he said what he has been saying all along, but nobody wanted to believe him the whole time

October 4, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  17. Jayce

LOL not once did Republican Gov. Chris Christie come close to Announcing he would run for president in 2012. In Fact if CNN, and the writer of this article had ears, eyes, and brains, they would know that he unequivicly said NONONO, even The daily show with John Stewart did a bit on how Christie Said no, Im not running, Dont want to run, Not enough experiance to run, and the media (CNN) said, oooo sounds like he might run. Where did they get that from?????? He at no point considered launching a bid for the Republican presidental nomination. By me registering to vote, i took more steps to becomeing president then christie did!!! Stop Making up stories CNN just because other news networks do!!!!!!!!!

October 4, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  18. anyone

So stupid, something that Christy said outright was still pursued...how else can u say NO!

October 4, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  19. JD

Big surprise, I love the cover article on newsweek, "he said no 20 times but will he run?"! and quoting him "what do I have to do commit suicide to convince you people im not running?"!!

October 4, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  20. D

The Tony Soprano bully thing works well in New Jersey, but as the leader of the free world? C'mon now.

To even think about him giving a State of The Union address, or even in a debate is a joke. I can just picture him sweating, barely able to catch his breath spitting out wise cracks and sarcastic quips.

Believe it or not he is smart enough to know his schtik works well in Jersey, but nowhere else. Besides...isn't he smart enough to know that ALL Muslims aren't terrorist and just appointed one to the state Supreme Court? That rational line of thinking will NEVER be accepted by the GOP.

October 4, 2011 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  21. Alex P

Is this really breaking?
    "BREAKING: The earth revolves around the sun"

October 4, 2011 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  22. garc

He's far too sane for the crazy train the repubs seem to be riding this election season. I think he even believes in evolution.

October 4, 2011 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  23. Jim

Just watch – Faux News will distort this to say he's left the door open for a later decision.

October 4, 2011 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  24. Ohio man

Maybe due to sum skeletons in the closet, people don’t understand the things 1 might have to go thru to become POTUS... that’s why Palin won't run...Oh well who's next

October 4, 2011 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  25. Woman In California

I can't tell you how worried I was about that. With everything going on in the world and all. He's not as stupid as I thought he might be so I have to give him credit for knowing when to fold.

October 4, 2011 11:32 am at 11:32 am |