Christie: 'Now is not my time'
October 4th, 2011

Christie: 'Now is not my time'

(CNN) - Republican Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey announced Tuesday he will not run for president in 2012.

The first-term governor said the pressure he received over the past few months caused him to consider throwing his hat in the ring - after repeatedly shooting down rumors - but that ultimately he is committed to his position in the Garden State.

"Now is not my time. I have a commitment to New Jersey that I simply will not abandon," Christie said at a press conference in Trenton. "That's the promise I made to the people of this state when I took office."

Christie fielded recent calls to run for president and spent time discussing the possibility of a White House bid with his family, friends and operatives. Now, having decided against a bid, Christie said he does not "feel any sense of regret at all."

"I felt like it was my obligation as I said before given the seriousness and the amount of people who were coming to me and asking me to reconsider to reconsider and I did," Christie said. "In the end I came back to the same place I was in the whole year."

He pushed back against reports that his family was skeptical throughout the process, saying they supported him, whether he decided to run for president or not.

When asked about the rest of the GOP presidential field, Christie said his decision was not affected by the strength or weakness of the pool.

"None of them were a factor," he said before adding that he was not prepared to make an endorsement.

He also brushed aside suggestions, in his typically brash fashion that he would serve in the No. 2 spot on the Republican ticket.

“Listen, I don’t imagine I’m going to be asked. I don’t think I have the personality to be asked,” Christie said. “I mean, seriously, can you imagine? You know, the guy would probably want to get a food taster. I don’t know, seriously, I don’t see it.”

The newly minted vice chair of the Republican Governors Association said he is now focused on making sure President Barack Obama only serves one term as president.

"He's failed the American people because he's failed that absolute litmus test to be President of the United States and that's to know how to lead and how to decide," Christie said.

Christie light heartedly addressed the coverage of his weight that escalated in recent weeks, particularly among comedians. As long as the jokes are funny, he is OK with the coverage, he said.

"For me, their job is to be funny. And if one of the things they want to make fun of is my weight, it's fair game," Christie said. "I'm a public figure … All I care about is that they actually are funny so that I can at least laugh about it while they are mocking me."

Filed under: 2012 • Chris Christie
  1. madeinusa76

Well, that's a LOAD off of my mind!

October 4, 2011 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  2. Beantown Bully

Ha!!!!!! Saw on Maddow last night that Romney isn't raising as much money this election cycle as he did in 2008. Guess the Repub power brokers aren't sold on Romney, Perry has proven to be a bumbling idiot, Cain shown himself to be a real "black guy" so he's never going to get it, Bachman has fallen back (probably b/c of her sweet husband). I'm not going to mention the rest b/c they' re not worth mentioning. Every one of these candidates is going to be chewed up during the General. Go get em Barrack!!!

October 4, 2011 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  3. Rinos for Winos

Christie was smart not jumping in the circus. The field is already so diluted that it would be tougher for him to get traction and it is already late in the game. He should just prepare for 2016 and then he will be ready for a legitamate run.

October 4, 2011 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  4. lauradet

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...Another Republican bites the dust.

October 4, 2011 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  5. Vipergtsrgt1

We've all known this. Anyone who listened to his statements at any point in time knows this. Stop bringing it up.

October 4, 2011 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  6. phearis

So What! This is like the 40th or 50th time that he's said he's NOT running. That doesn't mean that the GOP/TP will take the hint.

October 4, 2011 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  7. Dan

This is breaking news? I'm pretty sure he said he wasn't going to run about a thousand times.

October 4, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  8. qwerty1

A republican that stands by his word?

This man should run for... oh wait...

October 4, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  9. YOU Decide 2012: A bankrupt socialist welfare country or a thriving capitalist super power

He's too smart to jump into the race at this late stage. The logistics would be almost insurmountable. I would have loved to see him run though. I think he could kick Obama's derriere right out of the Whitehouse. Looks like that will be Romney's job now.

October 4, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  10. TGD

In a move that completely baffled the media and the ranking members of both major political parties, Governor Christie issued a statement today that was completely consistent with his earlier comments confirming that he will not run for the Presidency in 2012.

The news left the party stalwarts nearly speechless. The media reaction was harder to gauge.. They are trained to avoid emotional reactions and on most outlets they continued to babble about nonsense as they would with much less surprising news. Sources inside the media reported that the real reactions were not nearly so sanguine. More than a few of the television talking heads suffered cracked make-up when they first saw the news crawl across their teleprompters.
    Some coped by working to read the Governor's name phonetically. Others just increased their morning dose of valium and nicotine.

One veteran was heard to say "If this consistency becomes a trend we need to relearn a whole new series of meaningless platitudes."

October 4, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  11. MarineDad05

The reason the GOP is trying to make this 'news' every other day is so that the GOP will stay in the limelight.

If weeks ago, when Christi said he won't run, period...had the GOP NOT propped this up again, again, no one would be thinking GOP. People might concentrate on other relevant news.

When candidates and parties try very hard to stay in the news, then something is really wrong.

Methinks the GOP is very worried with the choices they have. Those moderate GOP candidates have a snowball's chance in hell to get nominated. Only someone extreme Right will get nominated.

But then, that's only half the battle, as everyone knows...no Right Wing nut's going to get elected as POTUS.

October 4, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  12. CastleCO

I thought this was a John Stewart joke - how is this breaking news? The man said "no" how many times over the last month? What kind of desperate Republican (redundant I know) do you have to be to be disappointed in this announcement NOW?

October 4, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  13. babs

Guess it's still between Jethro Bodine/Fearless Fosdick/Rick Perry and Mitt the Flip Flopper

October 4, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  14. suka

At least, some good news today

October 4, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  15. Kat

Wait, WHAT?!? It's "Breaking News" that he's NOT going to run? Perhaps CNN should should follow this with a "Breaking News" story that Sarah Palin is still thinking about it.

October 4, 2011 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  16. Tommy

Cristie is smart, he knows he needs more experience, He tells it like it is

October 4, 2011 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  17. Lynda/Minnesota

@The Elephant In The Room:

Of course he isn`t running.

He wants Obama to have to fix GWB`s mess and that will take a while. The only reason Huntsman is running is for 2016. Christie will eye that contest too.
    ----–

Apparently, GOPer/TeaPers want Obama to "fix" the mess within their own party as well. Certainly isn't going to happen with a Romney or Cain presidency.

October 4, 2011 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  18. Sniffit

"Why was the media hyping this up so bad, when he constantly said he's not running!?"

Because the MSM is desperately trying to help the GOP. You want to hazard a guess at whether the Board Members and upper echelon executives and management at CNN would have to pay more taxes if the the middle-class gets its way and Obama and the Dems manage to enact sensible tax reforms along with the jobs programs Obama has proposed? How about whether the giant corporations paying oodles of money to CNN and other MSM outfits are able to influence the "bent" the "news" takes by throwing around or threatening to withhold their advertising bucks?

October 4, 2011 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  19. ivan

Well, like him or not he certainly is a man of his word, ergo NOT a Washington D.C. "Player"

October 4, 2011 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  20. ANN

The jokes would have been deafening

October 4, 2011 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  21. Bill

Im glad he's not running. I like him better on "Mike and Molly"

October 4, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  22. maplejet

Too obvious, he's a little too liberal on several issues, plus he appointed a Muslim-American to one of the state supreme courts. That's not gonna win a far-right nomination. He needs to stay as NJ governor and try to fix his approval ratings there before seeking higher office.

October 4, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  23. clarke

Maybe its me, but I don't consider this breaking news. The good thing, it moved the media obession from Knox to Christie.

October 4, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  24. chip

Christie can do a lot by fixing NJ and proving that the lunatic fringes on both sides don't have the answers.

October 4, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  25. M

Kind of surprising even though he repeatedly said "no" before. Reason why is because he will have to campaign hard in 2012 for the GOP nominee, and if they win, which I would assume he would like to have happen.... he would then have to wait until 2020 because he wouldn't dare challenge the sitting GOP President. So all you people that are saying "we are going to beat Obama in 2012 and Christie will run in 2016", that makes no sense!

October 4, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |