Christie: 'Now is not my time'
October 4th, 2011

Christie: 'Now is not my time'

(CNN) - Republican Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey announced Tuesday he will not run for president in 2012.

The first-term governor said the pressure he received over the past few months caused him to consider throwing his hat in the ring - after repeatedly shooting down rumors - but that ultimately he is committed to his position in the Garden State.

"Now is not my time. I have a commitment to New Jersey that I simply will not abandon," Christie said at a press conference in Trenton. "That's the promise I made to the people of this state when I took office."

Christie fielded recent calls to run for president and spent time discussing the possibility of a White House bid with his family, friends and operatives. Now, having decided against a bid, Christie said he does not "feel any sense of regret at all."

"I felt like it was my obligation as I said before given the seriousness and the amount of people who were coming to me and asking me to reconsider to reconsider and I did," Christie said. "In the end I came back to the same place I was in the whole year."

He pushed back against reports that his family was skeptical throughout the process, saying they supported him, whether he decided to run for president or not.

When asked about the rest of the GOP presidential field, Christie said his decision was not affected by the strength or weakness of the pool.

"None of them were a factor," he said before adding that he was not prepared to make an endorsement.

He also brushed aside suggestions, in his typically brash fashion that he would serve in the No. 2 spot on the Republican ticket.

“Listen, I don’t imagine I’m going to be asked. I don’t think I have the personality to be asked,” Christie said. “I mean, seriously, can you imagine? You know, the guy would probably want to get a food taster. I don’t know, seriously, I don’t see it.”

The newly minted vice chair of the Republican Governors Association said he is now focused on making sure President Barack Obama only serves one term as president.

"He's failed the American people because he's failed that absolute litmus test to be President of the United States and that's to know how to lead and how to decide," Christie said.

Christie light heartedly addressed the coverage of his weight that escalated in recent weeks, particularly among comedians. As long as the jokes are funny, he is OK with the coverage, he said.

"For me, their job is to be funny. And if one of the things they want to make fun of is my weight, it's fair game," Christie said. "I'm a public figure … All I care about is that they actually are funny so that I can at least laugh about it while they are mocking me."

Filed under: 2012 • Chris Christie
  1. jkINC

....and Atlas shrugged, everyone else yawned.

October 4, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  2. lee

he could not stand the scrutniy of the invasive press

October 4, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  3. Vesstair

So..... he says for months straight he's not going to run... then he caves to the people pestering him, says "I'll re-examine the situation and make a decision about running"... then 3-5 days later he makes an announcement saying "I'm not going to run".

Yeah.... so, I guess somebody got tired of being asked, so he REALLY made it final.

October 4, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  4. El Flaco

Who cares? He's a Conservative. They are interchangeable. If you've got one Conservative running that's all you need. Having more is just duplication of effort.

October 4, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  5. Niamb

Great news for New Jersey! We need Christie here!

October 4, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  6. Randy, San Francisco

Smart move, Perry wouldn't have passed the Tea Party/social conservative purity test.

October 4, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  7. fr sarducci

Smart move by Christie – let the others destroy each other so Obama can win against a group that is even more disliked than he is.

October 4, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  8. MattyC

I think the country would benefit greatly from having this guy at the helm. We need some brass in the oval office. Unfortunately he is an extremely smart man, and realizes the mess the country is in. If he were to run, and win, he would have to turn water to wine to get a second term.

October 4, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  9. Weemees

Smart man. he needs to take care of his health and then can consider in 2016 when the Tea Partiers have been totally defeated.

October 4, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  10. meltemi

Enough of the repubs...when are the dems going to start looking for a viable candidate?

October 4, 2011 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  11. tafugate

i like christie, but he's way too moderate to get the republican nomination. perry has the conservative-speak down and will win the primary. however, he doesn't have the substance of obama. president obama will beat gov perry with 51 percent of the vote.

October 4, 2011 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  12. John, PA

Too Bad for the American people, another candidate that would easily beat Obama, anyone can beat Obama in the 2012 election; Romney, Palin, Bachmann, Gingrich, Paul or Christie could easily beat Obama in a massive land slide win.

October 4, 2011 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  13. MAC

The Govenor still has alot of work to clean up New Jersey first. When he gets New Jersey Cleaned up, he will win the Presidency in a land slide to clean up Washington DC next!

October 4, 2011 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  14. SPQR

President Obama 2012 !

October 4, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  15. Vince

Christie is smart for nor running. He could probably beat Obama in the general election...but he wouldn't make it out of the primaries. Typically its the base thats voting in the primary and Christie is too liberal for them, even if they don't realize that yet. He'd have to take a hard right turn to win the nomination and that would alienate him from NJ voters that tend to be center left. He would probably end up losing the nomination and the Governorship in the process. If it was 10 years ago he'd be a shoe in...but the GOP has moved so far right they will end up nominating someone to extreme to win a general.

October 4, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  16. EastCoastMike

If the GOP or the US as a whole views Christie as the answer, then we're in a lot worse shape than I thought....

October 4, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  17. jerseyshore

Do you think we can hire Don King to promote the Obama Cain match?

October 4, 2011 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  18. jo

Stay in NJ, we need to clean our state up first

October 4, 2011 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  19. fronco123

Thank you for not running for president Christie, but i wished you would because i like to see you out of my state .

October 4, 2011 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  20. Stevelb1

He has a skeleton or two in his closet.

October 4, 2011 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  21. MR TAYLOR

For the 100th time he says no.. Now who cares let's move on it's not a news breaking story. Although I do wonder if he has skeletons in his closet.or what they are.....

October 4, 2011 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  22. don't tread on me

The last thing we need is a Lefty Republican. People this guy is NOT A CONSERVATIVE.

Support Perry for President!

October 4, 2011 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  23. Dandy

Once again the GOP has offered no one I can vote for.... Romney is the only one electable and he gets a yawn. Ron Paul has some very good ideas but insufficient support. Herman Cain is a little far out there for me.. The rest of the crew is either unelectable or idiots. (Way too many idiots) We might as well have the election today – I would vote for Obama again.
    Christie was their last hope.. they might was well hang it up now. Obama wins a second term. You can put money on it.

October 4, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  24. John in Colorado

I think Arnold Ziffle should run for the GOP nomination for President.

October 4, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  25. Robert

And, Kissinger is the measure for character? Yeah, right. . . .

October 4, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |