Cain: Not rich? No job? Blame yourself
October 5th, 2011

Cain: Not rich? No job? Blame yourself

(CNN) – If you're dissatisfied with the economy, or unemployed, Herman Cain thinks you should take a long, hard look in the mirror.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal posted Wednesday, the up-and-coming GOP 2012 contender and former CEO of Godfather's Pizza summed up his bewilderment about recent demonstrations on Wall Street.

The conservative radio talk show host described the protests as "planned and orchestrated to distract from the failed policies of the Obama administration, though he admitted he didn't "have the facts to back this up."

Demonstrators have gathered to protest big banks during the "Occupy Wall Street" movement, but their grievances don't end with the economy. The protesters, mainly youth in their twenties, have addressed issues from police brutality to union busting, although they are also upset with the war in Afghanistan, the environment, and the state of the world in general.

The "Occupy Wall Street" movement has also drawn support from unions.

But for Cain, the demonstrations simply amount to "anti-capitalism."

Allowing the banks had a "big part" in the 2008 economic crisis, the candidate, who's known for his bombast and has been rising in national polls pointed out, "We're in 2011, okay?"

"When I was growing up I was blessed to have had parents. That didn't teach me to be jealous of anybody and didn't teach me to be jealous of somebody," Cain explained.

"It is not a person's fault because they succeeded. It is a person's fault if they failed. And so this is why I don't understand these demonstrations and what is it that they're looking for."

Cain spokesman JD Gordon declined to add a comment on the candidate's interview.

Also see:

State of the Race without Christie

Romney picks up new backers

Perry brings in $17 million in third fundraising quarter

Filed under: 2012 • Economy • Herman Cain • Jobs • Wall Street
  1. Jack Everest

Cain is absolutely right! Tough love and reality are insensitive. Success is tough. If you want to be successful in whatever form or manner...don't search for sensitivity!

Sensitivity is for children and sissies!

October 5, 2011 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  2. MTATL67

Cain if you lose the nomination don't blame anyone but yourself. Cold and callous dumb A.

October 5, 2011 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  3. The Real Tom Paine

Companies are not hiring because they know they can run lean and mean and make more money. They have no interest in hiring if theya re making profits with fewer people. Cain should know this, but he refuses to take on Big Business because he's afraid he'd lose what little cred he has.

October 5, 2011 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  4. vic , nashville ,tn

"Don't blame Wall Street," Cain said. "Don't blame the big banks. If you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself." Wow

As a conservative this statement made me shocked I don’t blame bank because I never paid interest on my credit card I don’t allow bank to rip me off
    But my house value went down like others do I have take blame for my current house value
    I wish Cain win the nomination it will give Obama four more years

October 5, 2011 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  5. pjwylie

The simple fact that he doesn't understand the demonstrations is exactly why he would make a poor President.

October 5, 2011 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  6. Woman In California

And when you LOSE Mr. Cain – because you WILL blame YOURSELF.

Republicans REFUSE to lay the blame where the blame lies. IF W hadn't gone into his selfish war(s) the country wouldn't be in this mess and YES it is STILL Bush's fault. They don't want to hear the truth – and this is the TRUTH.

Then again what can you expect from someone named Cain?

October 5, 2011 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  7. wow

I agree with Cain. Instead of people trying to pull themselves out of this mess, they find a way to blame others for their lack of success. Do we need to help others pull themselves up, yes. But the successfull cannot take fault for those that fail. Is greed out there, yep. Do we need regulations, yep. We just cannot point fingers anymore though. It's irresponsible. We really do need to look in the mirror and ask ourselves how we can help out country, not how we can take advantage of it.

October 5, 2011 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  8. doug

When you have 100k in student loans, and a liberal arts degree, then you should blame yourself. Read some of the "I am the 99%" posts. Good gosh.

They needed parents to say "yes be a painter in your spare time. But get a degree that will pay the bills."

October 5, 2011 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  9. 2cents4free

Some tea?

October 5, 2011 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  10. diridi

not corporate thugs, for greed to move out of America, an d sending men to WAR?????idiot...shut up...

October 5, 2011 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  11. Fred

So, American company A pulls up stakes here and moves production to China, Vietnam, etc. I loose my job here because of this. It's my fault? Duh... This guy is a bozo.

October 5, 2011 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  12. sarah-fl

Wow....so if you get laid off because your job was ooutsource blame yourself...Hey Cain thank god we love Pizza here, and that can't be outsource. You are not getting my vote! bye.....gop/teabaggers...whatever you call yourselves...still the same crap!

Sarah-fl

October 5, 2011 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  13. icecold

I'm black and I think Cain is one of the worst candidates we have in this presidential race. He is insensitive to other people, he's a racist, he's arrogant, out of touch, and worst of all he is an Uncle Tom sellout of the worst kind. He thinks bc he was a CEO of a Pizza chain that excludes him from the struggles of poor people and minorities. He actually thinks he is no longer black but an equal to whites bc he became wealthy. In his eyes you are poor, black, middle class, lower class, unemployed, disable, homeless, etc bc you choose to be. Success is the only measure of worthiness in his eyes. He thinks that all his flaws or shortcoming are dismissed based on the fact that he is successful and that puts him above other minorities,his own race, and poor people. I really dislike this guy.

October 5, 2011 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  14. Wow

Finally a comment that makes sense. I lost my job in 2008 and busted my ass to get a new one. I had one year that my wife, daughters, and I were up in the air but again I conquered my fear and not only got a new job, but my wife did too. It takes drive and passion, and not whining and feeling sorry for how some nameless recession took everything away from you. Go out and get it! All the losers here still don't understand that.

October 5, 2011 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  15. Randy

Amen to Cain. As long as there are help wanted signs out, or classified in the paper, it shows there are lazy people out there. I agree with many of you that the initial lay off may not be an individual's fault, but being out of work for 2 years, is just a plain failure on your part. You really do need to look in the mirror.

October 5, 2011 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  16. Orchid333

Hmmm.... apparently Cain forgot that these people whom he just insulted are the ones who will potentially vote for him. Cross another one off the list. Next flavor of the week?

October 5, 2011 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  17. chuck21

Once again this black man seems to think that because he made it everyone else can make it. Once again Herman, you didn't make it alone; you had help. If you think for one second that it's every individual's fault for not being employed-shame on you!! Coupled along with you 'brainwashed' statements, and your thinking about giving states' more rights let's any half brain person know that you are a self centered individual. Stick with the pizza business; can a brotha get a9, 9, 9 deal.Half pepporoni, sausage etc.!

October 5, 2011 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  18. vet in texas

"Hey, I'm gonna get you too, another one bites the dust Ha" – Queen

Cain is polling high just like Bachmann did in Iowa..........and just like Bachmann, her mouth got her falling fast.......Mr. Cain, Thanks for coming, drive safe!

October 5, 2011 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  19. Doc M

@Doug: I have to say, your comments generally reflect a new breed of ignorance in our country. It's a huge part of the problem. On the other hand I'm sure its fun to step away from Fox Noise for a few minutes to incite the smarter ones.

October 5, 2011 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  20. Sniffit

I told you he'd be announcing the end of his candiacy by the end of October.

And let's get the whole quote out there so we can see just how much conspiracy-style Teatroll crazy is involved:

"“I don’t have facts to back this up, but I happen to believe that these demonstrations are planned and orchestrated, to distract from the failed policies of the Obama administration,” Cain said. “Don’t blame Wall Street, don’t blame the big banks — if you don’t have a job and you are not rich, blame yourself!”"

He even opens with a statement admitting that he has no facts to back himself up and that he's just fabricating fantasyland fairytales...wild, flailing accusations designed to anger and instill fear and resentment. There's no talking sense with people like that...NONE...they will ride their delusions straight into their daydreams and nightmares and rationalize all contrary information away.

October 5, 2011 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  21. Wow

I guessing all those young losers hanging out at time square so they can avoid the employment office are texting away on this article aren't they? Get a bath, cut your hair, get a job, and stop blaming other people! If you want everything to be free, go to North Korea, where it is!

October 5, 2011 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  22. Sniffit

BTW, Cain and his ilk wouldn't know what "sweat equity" is if it dripped into their etouffee. He probably enjoyed 7 or 8 figure salaries while managers working 60-70 hour weeks to run his crappy pizza parlors took home just barely enough to make ends meet...and probably not even that.

October 5, 2011 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  23. Greg

Herman Cain is a cool dude. A true breath of fresh air and a guy that actually has ANSWERS to America's problems.
    CNN asked the question today on TV and online if a black man can win The GOP nomination. The answer is a resounding yes and I'm white as a snowflake saying that.. A bad President is a bad President regardless of race, and we have a bad President now. I care about good policy not the candidate's ethnicity.

October 5, 2011 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  24. Carrie

Boy, he lost MY vote with that statement! When our income dropped over 20% last year, when home sales tanked, when unemployment went through the roof that was MY fault? I'm not a whiner – I went out and got a 2nd part time job that took me more than 9 months to get so my kids can have what they need, but when large companies close their doors because of the "2008 economic downturn" and hundreds of people in a rural, midwest community lose their jobs as a result, how can you blame them for the lack of available jobs to replace that! Do we blame the citizens of Detroit, for example, because the automobile industry tanked? Yutz.

October 5, 2011 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  25. JLMVA

Per Herman Cain, it's the unemployed, not corporate greed & wall street, that graded the real estate credit swap defaults AAA; Per Herman Cain it's the unemployed, not corporate greed & wall street, that took bail out money and gave themselves bonuses; Per Herman Cain, it's the unemployed not corporate greed & wall street banks, that raised zero risk, government backed and insured, student loan interest rates to 8.75%; Per Herman Cain, it's the unemployed, not corporate greed & wall street that raise credit card interest to usury rates to 29%. Cain is an embarrassment.

October 5, 2011 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |