Cain: Not rich? No job? Blame yourself
October 5th, 2011

Cain: Not rich? No job? Blame yourself

(CNN) – If you're dissatisfied with the economy, or unemployed, Herman Cain thinks you should take a long, hard look in the mirror.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal posted Wednesday, the up-and-coming GOP 2012 contender and former CEO of Godfather's Pizza summed up his bewilderment about recent demonstrations on Wall Street.

"Don't blame Wall Street," Cain said. "Don't blame the big banks. If you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself."

The conservative radio talk show host described the protests as "planned and orchestrated to distract from the failed policies of the Obama administration, though he admitted he didn't "have the facts to back this up."

Demonstrators have gathered to protest big banks during the "Occupy Wall Street" movement, but their grievances don't end with the economy. The protesters, mainly youth in their twenties, have addressed issues from police brutality to union busting, although they are also upset with the war in Afghanistan, the environment, and the state of the world in general.

The "Occupy Wall Street" movement has also drawn support from unions.

But for Cain, the demonstrations simply amount to "anti-capitalism."

Allowing the banks had a "big part" in the 2008 economic crisis, the candidate, who's known for his bombast and has been rising in national polls pointed out, "We're in 2011, okay?"

"When I was growing up I was blessed to have had parents. That didn't teach me to be jealous of anybody and didn't teach me to be jealous of somebody," Cain explained.

"It is not a person's fault because they succeeded. It is a person's fault if they failed. And so this is why I don't understand these demonstrations and what is it that they're looking for."

Cain spokesman JD Gordon declined to add a comment on the candidate's interview.

Also see:

State of the Race without Christie

Romney picks up new backers

Perry brings in $17 million in third fundraising quarter

Filed under: 2012 • Economy • Herman Cain • Jobs • Wall Street
  1. hello

I agree with Cain that it is 2011, and we get to move on.

However, you Republican keep want us to dial back to those days by pushing those corporation friendly policy. Wait, I am sorry, Wall Street has not really changed a lot since 2008

October 5, 2011 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  2. Wow

@Ricky Jerrel "So he denies that the republican party has a history of not working for black people." Are you talking about the Republican party that was the abolishonist party, the one that created the Emancipation Proclamation, the one that created the 14th amendment, the one that forced Southern schools to integrate, or the one that had members lynched by the KKK (Democrat party) for aiding blacks in voting?

October 5, 2011 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  3. Ben Dover

When You lose the nomination Cain;..."Don't blame the liberal media"..."Don't blame the other candidates"..."Don't
    blame the Democrats"....Blame that FOOL in the mirror!

October 5, 2011 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  4. Randy, San Francisco

Cain must be expressing the GOP?Tea Party brand of compassionate conservatism.

October 5, 2011 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  5. icecold

So, I guess Obama should just get on tv and tell small business owners who are always whining about something, Too bad you tried and you failed, don't look for any help here. Why do repubs hate poor or working people. 999 would increase taxes on the poor and repubs are fine with that, but if you want to remove loopholes and put taxes back to old rates for companies then repubs say now is not the time raise taxes on ANYONE, but Caine introduces an increase on the poor and they say yeah lets do it. Ryans wants to cut SS and Medicare and they say yeah, how is that?

October 5, 2011 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  6. Sniffit

"the government isn't going to solve all your problems and that you need to take ownership of your problems"

Will he and people like him be singing the same tune when they're lined up for the proverbial guillotines because we finally took ownership of our problems instead of waiting for the gov't to do it on our behalf?

He and people like him ARE the problem.

October 5, 2011 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  7. Republican Logic?

Bad move, Cain has now given up on the argument that government is to blame. If I'm personally at blame for not having enough money or or not having a job then it most certainly can't be the fault of the government. Of course he'd talk out of both sides of his mouth if you pointed this logical contradiction out. So Mr. Cain I'm confused – is it my fault or the government's?

October 5, 2011 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  8. BR

In a way he's saying the truth. If American are open to working hard, taking any jobs, we would not face the economic problems. People in China and India are willing to do any jobs.. we are not...

October 5, 2011 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  9. Trenee'

Our CEO was making $26,000 a week - that was my annual salary. They laid me off to save money. Cain should go back to pizza.

October 5, 2011 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  10. Repubs sealing their fate

Just another GOP puppet. You'd think in this economic environment they would have an ounce of common sense.Keep talking...

October 5, 2011 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  11. Robita

To you people who agree with Idiot Cain... Why is it that you think peopel are lazy and don't want to work? I'lll give you the answer, it's because YOU are lazy, YOU are the ones who don't want to work, YOU YOU YOU. You degenerates must realize that the bulk of the people who don't have jobs would very much like one. I don't understand how you can be that stupid.

October 5, 2011 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  12. GeorgeF

This guy is the real deal. Love it. Go Herman!

October 5, 2011 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  13. zadoc

With the backing of unions, I think politicians will start taking the movement seriously. These guys have been fighting big business for a long time and have connections.

POLL: Does support from unions and organized labor lend credibility to the Occupy Wall St. movement?
    Vote: http://www.wepolls.com/p/3459064

October 5, 2011 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  14. Bob

yes and when all his corporate wall street buddies failed, they looked to the people to bail them out. Hypocrates all of them

October 5, 2011 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  15. vet in texas

as a GRANDSON of a chauffer, and a SON of a small business owner who "creates jobs" and went to a historically black college............Mr. Cain is an idiot!

His only purpose is for conservatives to prove that they aren't racist by supporting him. I was driving the other day and saw a vehicle with a Cain sticker......he looked at me with amazement on why i was laughing so profusly at him........hopefully he read what Cain just said and finally understands!

October 5, 2011 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  16. jeff

Cain's logic is cancer, dying, hate, war, sickness, poverty,injustice is your fault too.
    Cain... didn't you slay Abel and become synonymous with the word hate?

October 5, 2011 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  17. The Situation

There you go again Mr. Godfather Pizza! What a tool. This guy is suppose to be a threat against Obama next year? Very Laughable. What don't you get him and Michael Steele to form the GOP ticket next year. LOL!

October 5, 2011 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  18. Anonymous

Cain is insensitive but his real agenda is his 9-9-9 plan. No one is talking about this. It essentially trades low 9% corporate taxes and 9% income tax on the rich for a 9% income and 9% (+ state sales tax) on everyone else. What would this do to someone making $40,000 a year or less? Nothing about it is being asked.

October 5, 2011 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  19. Me

So many here asserting that unemployment is a handout. An unemployment check is based on your income earned. Earned. It is not a hand out but an insurance that you paid into should you get "unemployed!"

October 5, 2011 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  20. pdxrunner

He is telling the truth. I am part of the 99% that they refer to that they are speaking for. Well, they are not speaking for me, that is for sure. I make about 60k a year, I am Republican so please get the notion out of your head that the rich and wealthy are all Republicans. I am not rich and I am not wealthy but I absolutely believe in capitalism. Socialism has never worked, look at Russia or Greece. I believe that you are where you are based on the choices you make. If you don't have a job or are uneducated or whatever else, that is your fault, not Wall Street. Cain has actually run a business. The decision to bail out the "big banks" was a smart business decision! So far taxpayers have made over $10 BILLION and expected to be closer to $20 BILLION when all is paid back. The banks have paid back! The outstanding loans are from GM!!! Go protest in Detroit. Last time i checked, GM is a car company not a big bank or Wall Street. If you want to make more money then go out and do it and quit complaining.

October 5, 2011 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  21. Babs

Herman Cain isn't afraid to tell it like it is.

All these smelly hippy college students whining about student loan debt? LOL! Who allowed themselves to get into debt?

We have devolved into a nation of complete losers, exemplified by the uber loser these losers put into the White House.

October 5, 2011 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  22. Oregon calling

Are you kidding me?!?!? Not everyone has things handed to them. It's no fun being unemployed or UNDERPAID!!!!!!! Some work multiple jobs, I chose to be poor because I want to protect my child. I do not trust many but this guy is just a jackster.

Peace :-)

October 5, 2011 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  23. Unemployed789789789

He was a CEO of a major corp., I wonder how many millions of $ he made a year and how much his nice bonuses were? I don't think he has a clue in his head about what the real people in this country deal with every day. He's just like so many professional politicians, all he knows is how to put others (Palin today) to try to raise himself up. Hard to get out of that stuff!

October 5, 2011 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  24. Reading comprehension....the impossible American Dream.

Obama's secret weapon for re-election: a live mic in front of a Republican candidate's mouth.

October 5, 2011 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  25. bh

Some people are out of work due to the bad economy and that is due to poor ideas coming out of the WH. I'm just curious how the protesters who are supposed to be jobless and broke can afford to hang out in NYC all day long.

October 5, 2011 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |