Cain: Not rich? No job? Blame yourself
October 5th, 2011

Cain: Not rich? No job? Blame yourself

(CNN) – If you're dissatisfied with the economy, or unemployed, Herman Cain thinks you should take a long, hard look in the mirror.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal posted Wednesday, the up-and-coming GOP 2012 contender and former CEO of Godfather's Pizza summed up his bewilderment about recent demonstrations on Wall Street.

"Don't blame Wall Street," Cain said. "Don't blame the big banks. If you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself."

The conservative radio talk show host described the protests as "planned and orchestrated to distract from the failed policies of the Obama administration, though he admitted he didn't "have the facts to back this up."

Demonstrators have gathered to protest big banks during the "Occupy Wall Street" movement, but their grievances don't end with the economy. The protesters, mainly youth in their twenties, have addressed issues from police brutality to union busting, although they are also upset with the war in Afghanistan, the environment, and the state of the world in general.

The "Occupy Wall Street" movement has also drawn support from unions.

But for Cain, the demonstrations simply amount to "anti-capitalism."

Allowing the banks had a "big part" in the 2008 economic crisis, the candidate, who's known for his bombast and has been rising in national polls pointed out, "We're in 2011, okay?"

"It is not a person's fault because they succeeded. It is a person's fault if they failed. And so this is why I don't understand these demonstrations and what is it that they're looking for."

Cain spokesman JD Gordon declined to add a comment on the candidate's interview.

Also see:

State of the Race without Christie

Romney picks up new backers

Perry brings in $17 million in third fundraising quarter

Filed under: 2012 • Economy • Herman Cain • Jobs • Wall Street
  1. Tired of the nonsense

I've put in over 100 job applications.
    I've sent out even more resumes.
    It's a job to look for a job, and most of us do that over 40 hours a week.
    Proof that the GOP is a group of aliens with absolutely no idea how we live on planet earth.

October 5, 2011 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  2. SoftWords BigStick

[Quote] "When I was growing up I was blessed to have had parents. That didn't teach me to be jealous of anybody and didn't teach me to be jealous of somebody," Cain explained.

Errrr .... could you explain that once more Mr Cain ? Having parents taught you what ??

October 5, 2011 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  3. FedUp

Now come on, Mr. Cain. How can you possibly say that? All you have to do is listen to Obama and you will know the reason we don't have any jobs is because of President Bush. Oh,but wait. If you listen to the media, you will know that there are tons of jobs out there and the economy is hunky dory.

October 5, 2011 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  4. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

Your job was shipped off shore because the owner can make more money on a cheaper product, blame yourself.
    Illegal aliens doing the job that you used to do? Blame yourself, work for the illegal immigrant money, live in a hovel...
    What;s the matter with you people?

Start a business, just get a loan from the bank! Can't get a loan? Blame yourself.

If you can be a Republican after this, you have no heart (OR BRAIN).

October 5, 2011 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  5. VA VERY Ex Republican

is this why I can not get a line of credit for a thankfully successful startup company I just started back in March????? Ah now I know. it is my fault. what should I do Mr. Cain???? fire myself???? I can not since it is my own company so what should I do???? please save me from myself.

October 5, 2011 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  6. Patrick from Minnesota

What else would we expect from a multimillionaire executive?

October 5, 2011 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  7. Heath

Yeah, vet in texas, why can't Cain supporters be as open minded as you? And tolerant of people who don't think the same way they do? Sheesh. Let's all go laugh profusely at them for their beliefs!

October 5, 2011 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  8. RINO Bil

Hey Herm, nice job of relating to the middle class Americans that the GOP and big business have been screwing for the past 10 years. You can't blame us for these economic traitorous CEOs who have been sending American jobs overseas just so they can get their bonuses.

But you're right, it is our fault for electing these greedy conservatives into office.

October 5, 2011 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  9. Tony

Wow...and he is polling #2 on the Republican side?

Why any American would vote for any Republican is completely beyond me.

October 5, 2011 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  10. seriously???

And this guy is getting any support at all? Does Cain think it's possible that America can be a country populated with 300 million millionaires???

This guy is from outer space and so is the whole Republican party!!

October 5, 2011 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  11. ggwindsor

first there party paved the way for corperations to ship manufacturing jobs overseas-and he says look in the mirror

October 5, 2011 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  12. Drahcir

Cain got one thing right when he said, "I don't understand ..." He should have kept it at that.

October 5, 2011 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  13. renerod

Wall Street is the 21st century Mafia...

October 5, 2011 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  14. typicallll

A weapon for the Obama Admins 2012 Election against Cain (if he is the nominee)..... Check....

October 5, 2011 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  15. Dee

This man is delusional, and I hope he doesn't think those who are not rich, the poor or unemployed would vote for him with comments like this.

October 5, 2011 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  16. Mike

Seriously, I've had it with this clown. If apparently making lousy pizza for people who don't know any better, then I would love to run Cain out of business and see how he likes it. Of course it's everybody else's fault, but he refuses to acknowledge the fact that the world is so tilted to people of his ilk it's not even funny.

October 5, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  17. Anonymous

I love this man. If the protestors love socialism so much they can go to southern europe with all the other lazies who blame society or "the man" instead of coming up with actual solutions that will work in the real world (small hint – Greece's socialism and Keynesian economics don't work).

If these people actually came up with a specific plan (which they won't) it would probably resemble some other liberal agenda from the past that most unbiased economists would say will hurt the economy even more. So call me crazy but until an actual proposal come from this all I see is whining.

October 5, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  18. Larry

Wow – hire a new political advisor because the one advising you just dropped the ball. Maybe there is hope for the job market after all.

October 5, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  19. S.positive

Again, President Obama will win in 2012 because the alternative are weak...

October 5, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  20. John

Cain hit the nail on the head again. Of course, we should have programs in place to help those that can't help themselves. But, if you are an able-bodied american who doesn't have a job...........blame yourself.

October 5, 2011 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  21. Rural Liberal

I'm unemployed because I'm lazy. got it. Four months of frantically searching for jobs (and my best prospects are with the State of California, weirdly), but I'm lazy.

The real class war is being waged by those so out of touch with reality that they actually believe this stuff.

October 5, 2011 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  22. walter

I m asking for real job I have two jobs I m working myself to death I m working everday double shifts on weekends and 12 hours day for the rest of week at the other job and yes Im a US citizen. To make ends meet.

October 5, 2011 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  23. Rick

Both sides are wrong! Its macro-economics.The baby boomers are beginning to retire in droves, and instead of spending like they've done the last 20 years, they're retiring, cutting costs, and drawing from their equities. Less demand for goods means companies cut costs and people, thus creating the unemployed. The worst part about it all, is that its all cyclical (less spending–> Less profits–> high unemployement–> even less spendin–> so on... and so on... When times were good, people should have planned ahead and set contingencies. Its a lot harder when times are bad to go back to school or gain a new skill set. Everytime someone wins, someone else loses b/c there's finite resources and capital...

October 5, 2011 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  24. Doug

GeeWhiz....I wish I had said that.

October 5, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  25. Blame Will Not Work

Cain is absolutely right! You bunch of Whiners & Takers need to get up off you lazy butts, take a job.......any job, & get a taste of SELF PRIDE! I, nor other successful people, nor our Government OWE you NOTTA! You pinky kids on Wall Street, get a life!

October 5, 2011 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |