Palin's full statement on 2012 decision
October 5th, 2011

Palin's full statement on 2012 decision

(CNN) - Read the statement after the jump.

October 5, 2011

Wasilla, Alaska

After much prayer and serious consideration, I have decided that I will not be seeking the 2012 GOP nomination for President of the United States. As always, my family comes first and obviously Todd and I put great consideration into family life before making this decision. When we serve, we devote ourselves to God, family and country. My decision maintains this order.

My decision is based upon a review of what common sense Conservatives and Independents have accomplished, especially over the last year. I believe that at this time I can be more effective in a decisive role to help elect other true public servants to office – from the nation's governors to Congressional seats and the Presidency. We need to continue to actively and aggressively help those who will stop the "fundamental transformation" of our nation and instead seek the restoration of our greatness, our goodness and our constitutional republic based on the rule of law.

From the bottom of my heart I thank those who have supported me and defended my record throughout the years, and encouraged me to run for President. Know that by working together we can bring this country back – and as I've always said, one doesn't need a title to help do it.

I will continue driving the discussion for freedom and free markets, including in the race for President where our candidates must embrace immediate action toward energy independence through domestic resource developments of conventional energy sources, along with renewables. We must reduce tax burdens and onerous regulations that kill American industry, and our candidates must always push to minimize government to strengthen the economy and allow the private sector to create jobs.

Those will be our priorities so Americans can be confident that a smaller, smarter government that is truly of the people, by the people, and for the people can better serve this most exceptional nation.

In the coming weeks I will help coordinate strategies to assist in replacing the President, re-taking the Senate, and maintaining the House.

Thank you again for all your support. Let's unite to restore this country!

God bless America.

- Sarah Palin

Also see:

State of the Race without Christie

Romney comes out swinging in Sunshine State

Longtime Illinois Rep. to step down in 2012

Romney picks up new backers

Perry brings in $17 million in third fundraising quarter

Filed under: 2012 • Sarah Palin
  1. Diana

hallelujah! hasta la vista!

October 5, 2011 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  2. thomas

Sad ,
    so many unfortunate and uniformed people waited so long in suspense only to be once again let down the road to nowhere.

I was hoping Sarah and the Pizza guy would hookup and make a 999 size Pizza !

October 5, 2011 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  3. Laura518

Big shock. We knew this all along. She may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but she has to know she would never get elected

October 5, 2011 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  4. barbara

Was so hoping she'd run as an independent. I wanted to watch the "show". Clearly, she would have turned off sensible Americans once and for all, but now...since she won't have to be careful, informed and sensible...we are now relegated to hearing the squaking, factless, hate-mongering litany of misinformation Johnny elevated her to spin in the last campaign. I wish she could buy a new voice and a new brain as she guides a favorite GOPee'r to a win they'll never have in 2012

October 5, 2011 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  5. KristinLoftisWest Des moines

Thank God Palin is not running.

October 5, 2011 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  6. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Evidently Sarah did not see the cash that Mittens and Perry are raking in.

October 5, 2011 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  7. Dalfrom CA

LOL. Just stay there in Alaska. You can see Russia from there and that is what we need from you. A quick response when the Russian planes are sighted by you visually flying towards United Kingdom. TIC

October 5, 2011 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  8. Dea2

What a load of horse manure. She's not running because her poll numbers show that too many people have recognized the real person under that makeup and hair.

October 5, 2011 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  9. T'sah from Virginia

I told you that Sarah Palin will blame it on her family as to the reason why she is not running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said this umpteen times in the past. All of a sudden now, she cares about her family!! What a loser!

Obama/Biden 2012

October 5, 2011 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  10. jamison

Sorry to hear Sarah will not be running. I would have liked to see our Prez. soundly defeat this loudmouth.

October 5, 2011 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  11. Mike

Palin. thank you very much, specifically, on behalf of the Republican/Teapublican party and, generally, on behalf of the American people. We are simply tired of having you making a fool of yourself and making Americans look so stupid to the rest of the world.

Thanks also on behalf of the media who generally make you into a laughing stock...I know they will miss the weird news or will they? I guess you'll still be injecting yourself in the news now and then by doing or saying something stupid.

Maybe, since you've made so much money out of being a laughing stock to the public, you should take a trip around the world to gain some foreign experience. You really need this, then your views will be more informed and sensible.

Fox news is more than happy with your decision. They are making lots of money off you by offering you as a kind of 'comedian' to their viewers. They didn't want to lose you at all. I know many people who watch and listen to you simply to hear you making a fool of yourself..laughter is a very good medicine, anyway, in these trying times....so keep it up!

I hope you'll have time to pay enough attention to your family, particularly, Trip, the disabled one.

Best of luck as you stay out of presidential politics and learn some valuable lessons on the side.

Good bye Palin and Thank you.

October 5, 2011 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  12. Ch

Does this mean she will finally shut up?

October 5, 2011 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  13. reacharound

The Kingmaker Sarah will hopefully evaporate into the hot air she has created

October 5, 2011 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  14. Terry

SNL will miss you.

October 5, 2011 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  15. 1troglodyte

Hahahaha...she took you Gomer-dope Tea-baggers for million$....hahaha...I told you two years ago she'd never run for President. She just wanted your suckers money. And she got it.

October 5, 2011 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  16. chibi

>Bleck< Guess she decided it was time to speak up lest we forget her. Thank God she didn't join the fray ...I wouldn't have gotten dizzy trying to rubberneck at the GOP debacle...I mean, debates!

October 5, 2011 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  17. Ramesh Shrestha

Who cares about this seed of contention? At least, I don't, and neither should you. I hope she will be gone from the American political limelight for good. Enough with this divisive woman.

October 5, 2011 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  18. MB Seattle

$arah will now have time to pursue her law suit against Joe McGinnis. Does her not running mean she gets to keep all that PAC money for another shopping spree?

October 5, 2011 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  19. RG

Oh No! If she is not running then how we are going to get our laughs!

October 6, 2011 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  20. Gregg

As a Republican, I really admire Sarah Palin for energizing McCain's dreary 2008 campaign and for articulating the conservative message of smaller government, lower taxes and a strong national defense.

The liberal media went into over-drive to discredit her with their cookie-cutter hit pieces and, to a certain extent, they succeeded. It's funny how women like Palin and other minorities like Herm Cain and Michele Bachmann are made special targets by the lefty media – you would think they would celebrate minorities of either party who rise to prominence on the national scene but no, if a minority is a conservative they are singled out for especially vicious ridicule by the caring, open-minded and very liberal media. Certainly no hypocrisy or double-standards there.

In spite of all this, Sarah Palin is not going away anytime soon. She will continue to have a meaningful voice on the national scene in spite of the usual clap-trap from the left. Unlike Barack Obama, her fifteen minutes are not yet up.

October 6, 2011 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  21. Potter Argos

What a joke...that she even thought about running.

October 6, 2011 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  22. jefflazrn

Good, now maybe she'll just go away already!

October 6, 2011 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  23. mickey1313

And because she knew that she wouldnt get a single vote out side of her own family.

October 6, 2011 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  24. moomoo3851

She said, "I believe that at this time I can be more effective in a decisive role to help elect other true public servants to office – from the nation's governors to Congressional seats and the Presidency." That is right, to elect other true public servants, unlike her, a quitter, a self-center individual that abandoning the Alaskan people to seeking her overdue 15 minutes of fame.

On the other hand, it would be funny to Sarah run, because Tina Fey needs some new gags material for SNL.

October 6, 2011 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  25. unshot moose

In other words: Cant win so won't run.

October 6, 2011 03:44 am at 3:44 am |