Ron Paul wins Values Voter straw poll
October 8th, 2011

Ron Paul wins Values Voter straw poll

Washington (CNN) - GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul secured yet another straw poll victory Saturday.

The Texas congressman won 37% of the poll at the Values Voter Summit in Washington, sponsored by the Family Research Council, a social conservative group.

Paul has won a handful of straw polls this year, including contests held in California and South Carolina, in addition to a straw poll at the Conservative Political Action Conference in February.

Coming in second on Saturday, rising GOP candidate and Georgia businessman Herman Cain took 23% of the vote. Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum came in third with 16%.

Two front-runners, Texas Gov. Rick Perry and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, placed fourth and sixth, respectively. Perry garnered 8% of the vote, while Romney had 4%.

Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, who touts herself as a strong social conservative and won the much-watched Ames Straw Poll in Iowa, came in fifth, while former House Speaker Newt Gingrich took seventh place.

– CNN's Peter Hamby and Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Also see:

Perry on pastor's Mormonism remark: 'I don't think it is' a cult

Conservative pastor on Romney: Don't vote for a Mormon

Don't settle for a moderate, Bachmann urges voters

Romney jabs controversial speaker at Values Voter Summit

Santorum takes aim at Cain, introduces '0-0-0 plan'

Cain relishes 'top tier' status in speech

Gingrich talks judiciary, jabs front-runners on polls

Filed under: 2012 • Ron Paul • Values Voter Summit
  1. notswayed

As I understand people were charged a 99, 75, and 50 dollar fee in order to attend and vote depending on how long you were there. So the people who showed up on the day of voting seem to be the conservatives, or the voices of those that can not spend a weekend much less 100 dollars to vote. Good for them.

October 8, 2011 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  2. Peg

OK – so will the words OK need moderation?

October 8, 2011 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  3. Denise

I voted for Obama last cycle, never gave thought to Ron Paul, but now that I have a chance to hear his message, he makes sense to me. I voted for Obama because I wanted "change" – I guess I should have said what kind of change I wanted because this ain't it. I am middle-aged, employed, insured with a retirement plan and I still do not see a crisis, I see a scam – banks too big to fail, but taxpayers are just the right size? Where is our bailout?

October 8, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  4. Peg

I guess they like old-style free markets

October 8, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  5. Peg

This comment will be awaiting moderation – perhaps I am too moderate

October 8, 2011 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  6. Dale C

Why is CNN wasting time with this guy? He's not a serious candidate. Have you seen the way he looks? When was the last time America chose an ugly president? Like it or not, the presidential race is a popularity contest (anyone seen those mormon.org commercials Mitt's supporters are running?) We're not going to win the independent vote with an old man.

October 8, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  7. mike

Ron Paul is the man! I just found out about him 4 weeks ago and he is my choice for President.

October 8, 2011 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  8. ThsIsNotReal22

w00t! Go Ron! I was there and voted :)

October 8, 2011 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  9. Mitch

God I hope the majority of this country isn't so stupid as to read stuff like this, and casually accept it as fact:

"Two front-runners, Texas Gov. Rick Perry and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, placed fourth and sixth"

People – if you actually believe this notion that Romney OR Perry are front runners, you need to WAKE the hell up! Read that sentence – it contradicts itself! 'Front runners' don't come in 'fourth and sixth place, respectively,' they come out on TOP!

October 8, 2011 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  10. Deep thoughts

I'll guarun-damn-ty you the same applies for all the other candidates as well. Funny how, even though CNN is being ridiculed for not giving Paul fair coverage, they no doubtedly sneak in phrases designed to make people mad. So clever of you...

October 8, 2011 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  11. Peg

Why can't I post? Why does my profile page say my last view articles are ones I have either not ever been to or are some I was at weeks to months ago? Something weird is going on – Did someone hijack my log-in ID? This is weird

October 8, 2011 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  12. logic in LA

I read about these events and laugh- talk about clutching at straws. Of course I guess they should have weight if a caucus does. They are as much of a farce as straw polls.

October 8, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  13. Robert Fallin

Do I take it you are accusing Ron Paul supporters of cheating? How could that have happened? Ron Paul people never control the ballots. I was at the Georgia Straw Poll at which Herman Cain beat Ron Paul by 3 votes. None of us got anywhere near the ballot box except to cast our vote.

October 8, 2011 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  14. MIke smith

Considering its size and fringe beliefs, it appears the value summit is a cult unto itself.

October 8, 2011 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  15. ryan in chicago

Why are Perry and romney being forced on the voters!? They aren't winning the votes, yet the media continues to lie about who the front runners are. It's time for a revolution people.

October 8, 2011 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  16. Saul

I am glad that Ron Paul won. We need a man like him in office, he is honest with us, thats what this country was supposed to be about. Unfortunately it hasnt turned out that way. He is the man to bring us back I support him 100% and it will not change. Ron Paul is hope and change. I don't know why the people dont see that. He is a man of principle and morals and that will not change.

Vote Ron Paul 2012!

October 8, 2011 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  17. Joe N

Even when RP wins a straw poll, MSM finds a way to trash it.. "However, not all of those who voted for Paul in the straw poll were necessarily participants in the summit. Family Research Council president Tony Perkins said 600 attendees registered just for Saturday. Paul ended up winning with 732 votes."

Wow Perkins, how about you report the numbers based on the 600 votes then. Otherwise its a moot point.

October 8, 2011 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  18. MSM Blows

I like how when Cain or Perry win a straw poll, they get a picture and a story at the top of CNN's homepage for days. When Paul wins one, there's merely a link about it buried beneath 3 or 4 stories about Romney and Perry for a couple of hours before being moved somewhere near the bottom of the page.

***RON PAUL 2012***

October 8, 2011 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  19. Nelson

Ron Paul 2012!

October 8, 2011 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  20. Eric

Oh now he's just being selfish, hogging all of those straw polls to himself

October 8, 2011 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  21. GI Joe

Another group funded by the billionaires that want to control all of us.

I wouldn't vote for any of these religious bigots for all the money in the world.

October 8, 2011 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  22. freedom

no comments? really?

Ron Paul 2012.
    back to freedom and peace.

October 8, 2011 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  23. Dave - Phx

Finally the lowest nutjob denominator wins something in the Republican primary garbage. Too bad he doesn't believe Jesus hates Illegal immigrants and gays.

October 8, 2011 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  24. Dee

He is out of touch with the real world government is important let him have a catastrophe in his home state and see if he can take care of the emergency needs of his people without the help/aide of the Federal Government.

October 8, 2011 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  25. plantingfeet

WTG Ron Paul! Maybe the media doesn't get to pick and choose who the American people vote for after all. People are waking up and getting wise to the lies! Ron Paul 2012!

October 8, 2011 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |