Christie backs Romney
October 11th, 2011

Christie backs Romney

(CNN) – Republican Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey endorsed Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney Tuesday.

"I'm here in New Hampshire today for one simple reason – America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama and Mitt Romney is the man we need to lead America and we need him now and that's why I'm here," Christie said at an event in Lebanon, New Hampshire.

Christie passed on his own run for the White House last week and suggested he might endorse a candidate in the 2012 race.

Filed under: 2012 • Chris Christie • Mitt Romney
  1. Wire Palladin, S. F.

That should pretty much wrap up the republican primary. I wonder if Mittens told Christie he would be number 2?

October 11, 2011 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  2. Woman In California

That sure makes me want to go out and vote for Romney. The truth is Christie and Romney both are sleazy back door men. Neither of which could run this country in ANY capacity. Christie can't even run NJ so his "backing" means absolutely nothing.

October 11, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  3. mike

darn...I was hoping he'd support Cain...for some reason I like Cain more than Romney.

October 11, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  4. The Real Tom Paine

Maybe someone wants to be AG?

October 11, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  5. Bill

So what?

October 11, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  6. Cyrus

Who cares! The GOP platform is obsolete and obstructionist. Not going to vote for GOP even if Jesus was on that ticket.

October 11, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  7. Anonymous

How is this breaking news?

October 11, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  8. Kirk

All to easy for the Dems to win in 2012.

October 11, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  9. Gillian

That's a BIG endorsement. (Christie is a big guy)

October 11, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  10. Mitt Romney

I wonder if I'll still be viewed an an empty suit...

October 11, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  11. AECSRet

I'm purplexed by this endorsement since Christie is CONSERVATIVE and Romney is LIBERAL (RINO). I love Christie's political philosophy, but this move rattles me a bit!

I'll wait before I throw my vote in the hat!!!!

October 11, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  12. Jack

Makes sense. Romney is the only legitimate choice right now.

October 11, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  13. ST

The endorsement doesn't matter much. People are not going to be swayed by this comparing with what they don't like on Romney. It has been a rough road to Romney ever since, that it needs more than an endorsement to change peoples mind!

October 11, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  14. Joe Jared

I never know who chris christy was until the media made a circus out of it. None of it changed my vote, which will be for Ron Paul.

October 11, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  15. ConservativeNVa

The Republican Primary season is the most "undemocratic" spectacle ever.....there is no reason for voters to even go to the ballot box, because the "powers that be" in the party has already "told everyone" who is going to win. #SeeMittRomney#

October 11, 2011 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  16. ConservaFASCISTS/TEAliban/TEAhadists

I don't support Rick Perry one single bit, but I love that ad his campaign released on Willard being a Flip Flopper. It doesn't matter if Jesus came down from heaven on a cloud in all of his glory and endorsed Willard. The TEAvangelicals in the bible belt will never support him. If he ends up getting the nomination, you can count on another 4 years of President Barack Obama.

October 11, 2011 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  17. flashtrum

Not so fast – Cain and Paul are not out of this yet.

October 11, 2011 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  18. Spencer

Romney has the best shot at taking down Obama.

October 11, 2011 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  19. TangledThorns

Christie's endorsement matters not to me but shows how much Christie likes a flip flopper. Right now I'm like Cain over the rest.

October 11, 2011 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  20. wgf

Who else could Chris "I'm Tired Of Dealing With The Crazies" Christie possibly endorse ? Maybe Huntsman. No one else passes the Looney Tunes test.

October 11, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  21. Justin

Haha. All of the sudden Christie is a sleazy RINO to the right wing wacko camp of the GOP. Anything but the mormon for them.

October 11, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  22. Manny

Any candidate will mbe much better that Comrade Obama that has driven this country down the cliff and now spends his time preaching class warfare.

October 11, 2011 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  23. tidho

AECSRet said -I'm purplexed by this endorsement since Christie is CONSERVATIVE and Romney is LIBERAL (RINO). I

Both are fiscal conservatives and right now that's the most important thing. Romney is more of social liberal but that just so happens to be where most of America is at too.

October 11, 2011 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  24. Fed Up Republican

They are Next Door Neighbors. Is this endorsement some sort of a suprise to anyone?

October 11, 2011 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  25. jay

so what was it last week he said they all need to step up and have shown nothing what has happened in the last week that made romney the pick in his mind?

October 11, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |