Cain charges some in black community of racism
October 11th, 2011

Cain charges some in black community of racism

(CNN) – GOP presidential hopeful Herman Cain said Tuesday that many liberal Democrats in the black community are "racist" for questioning his political ambitions as a black conservative Republican.

"A lot of these liberal, leftist folk in this country, that are black, they're more racist than the white people that they're claiming to be racist," Cain said Tuesday in a radio interview on the conservative Neal Boortz talk show.

Boortz interrupted Cain, saying he prefers the word "bigoted" to "racist."

"Ok, bigoted," Cain said. "How dare Herman Cain, first, run as a Republican? How dare Herman Cain be conservative? And how dare he move up in the polls, so that he just might challenge our beloved Obama? That's the problem they have."

Cain's comments came just hours before a New Hampshire debate, where Cain, who's surged to top tier status in the presidential race, is expected to take the heat from other candidates now that he's assumed front-runner status.

In the interview Tuesday, he also said that in a hypothetical matchup between he and President Barack Obama, there would "almost be no contest" and argued that he could talk about issues more in depth than Obama.

"He's never been part of the black experience in America," Cain said. "I can talk about that. I can talk about what it really meant to be 'po' before I was poor."

The Republican candidate came under fire recently for saying African Americans are generally on a level playing field with other Americans and sometimes use racism as an excuse for being poor.

"They weren't held back because of racism," Cain told CNN's "State of the Union" anchor Candy Crowley. "People sometimes hold themselves back because they want to use racism as an excuse for them not being able to achieve what they want to achieve."

His comments kicked off a wave of responses from high-profile African American leaders, who argue Cain is out of touch with reality.

"There are disparities in this country in every [socioeconomic] factor that we follow. In every aspect of our human endeavors in this country there is a racial disparity element that's a part of it. It's almost silly to respond to [Cain] because the evidence is so overwhelming," PBS host Tavis Smiley said in the interview with CNN anchor Suzanne Malveaux on Monday.

– CNN's Diana Ozemebhoya contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain
  1. MaryM

You are done Cain. Pack it up and go home. Like you really had a chance of getting the nomination from the TP/GOP. Remember the signs of Pres Obama held by the TP/GOP people. Can you say racist?

October 11, 2011 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  2. Mark

In one of his recent and increasingly bizarre interviews he openly stated he really didn't care about other countries – fine pick your candidate – but I wont vote for a candidate that is that ignorant. That is certainly not the behavior one expects of an American leader and I do not think he is suitable for higher office.

October 11, 2011 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  3. Tom

On a side note...it would be interesting to see Cain vs Obama. Although in all honesty, I'm not voting for either Dem or Rep come 2012.

October 11, 2011 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  4. ThinkAgain

I hope Cain enjoys his time at the top, because soon he'll be just another former GOP candidate ...

October 11, 2011 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  5. sheppard

Lets see – do I have these cainisms correct....... If you are out of work or poor, it is your own fault (I guess in this scenario it doesn't matter what color you are); Blacks who vote Democratic (IE: against Cain) have been brain-washed – and now if Blacks are liberal they are racists.

Herman – you are certifiable.......

October 11, 2011 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  6. scott

Now all you republicans listen to this rich man...he is rich so he must know what he is talking about. I hope he does win,he wont, he has no chance. The old elephant stands about as much chance of picking a black man for their candidate as ,well, I cant think of anything that stands less of a chance.

October 11, 2011 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  7. MeMyself and I

Pandering to Republicans by telling them what they want to hear.
    Way to go "Uncle" Cain. Where is your cabin?

October 11, 2011 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  8. Steven

So Cain is more black then Obama?

October 11, 2011 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  9. Tony

Wow...he just keeps digging the hole deeper and deeper.

Don't take the shovel away from him, he's still not totally buried yet.

October 11, 2011 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  10. Melo-D

Is this is how Cain is courting the African American vote?? This guy is so full of himself. I give him a month before he drops out of contention.

October 11, 2011 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  11. Alex in Wisconsin

Well, A couple months ago, I was actually looking seriously at Mr. Cain. Now, He's just a bought black man making the victimized white majority, with their higher employment and income, feel better. I'm an African American who has a Master's degree in Engineering and is working towards my PhD. I won't have this sell out tell me that I'm racist or brainwashed just because I'm smart enough to see who wants to helo the poor and middle class verses who wants to offer weakest members of society as a sacrifice on the altar of big business and pray that they will have mercy on America and hire people at or below minimum wage instead of pocketing the extra money as executive bonuses while increasing taxes on the poor and middle class. Mr. Cain, once upon a time, conservative fiscal responsibility meant a balanced budget, not debt through low revenue.

October 11, 2011 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  12. Shannon

What a laughable statement, this man belongs to a party where the candidates signed a pledge saying slavery was a good thing, and he is calling someone else a racist.

October 11, 2011 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  13. Getover it

This guy is obviously talking out of the side of his neck just to create a buzz to get as much attention as possible. He obviously does not understand nor speak for the black community!

October 11, 2011 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  14. otermbachmann

Couple more months and this crackpot should go back to making cookies (i meant pizzas). He is one of a million. But he sure is a republican. Hates the poor and blacks.

October 11, 2011 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  15. David in Georgia

And, after many dry-runs, Cain finally decides to actually jump the shark, and go full on stupid. Stick a fork in him, he's done.

October 11, 2011 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  16. snowman

Didn't we already elect a black president?? I thought racism was a thing of the past. Come on people, seriously

October 11, 2011 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  17. Rambling Parry

Keep pandering to the Tea party. You have betrayed your own people.

October 11, 2011 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  18. Marie

He's full of hot air, just like his pizzas. If he thinks by dishing out these low-blows that will allow him to get elected into office, he can forget it. The whites don't want a black man in office now, so what makes him think he will be in there? Get real. He's nothing more than a front man with pipe promises.

October 11, 2011 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  19. phearis

Really?!?! He's accusing African-Americans of being racist against him??? Now I've heard it all. This is nothing more than "Since you don't agree with me, you must be racist." Give me a flipping break. I am so sick of the Race Card. From my own personal experience in the military, the ones who are quick to scream "Racism" are 9 times out of 10, the racist one. I think you should take a long hard look in the mirror Mr. Cain.

October 11, 2011 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  20. Jim

Cain is correct. Tavis should try to use a little logic. Cain didn't say there isn't a disparity – goodness sake the conversation assumes there is a disparity! Tavis, Cain has forgotten more about being poor, living under Jim Crowe and what it takes to succeed than you will ever know.

Thankfully, Tavis' comment is so dreadfully illogical that it doesn't require a response from Cain – people will see the little "bait and switch" he tried and laugh.

October 11, 2011 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  21. Wire Palladin, S. F.

I am beginning to think that Herman is worse than Bachmann when it comes to intelligence

October 11, 2011 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  22. Jake

If herman cain had it his way, black would be the new white. he's out of touch with reality. Maybe he's eaten to many of those crappy pizzas he's sold over the years. Get in touch with the planet man. i hear it spins a 25000 mph. much like your phoney campaign to be president. your not qualifiied to be the boss.

October 11, 2011 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  23. Brian DC

I love this guy. All the race-baiters are in a hissy because he is calling them out. Cain grew up poor and blazed his own trail.

October 11, 2011 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  24. Larry L

The Republicans are to be congratulated. They found a black man who is "whiter" than Rick Perry or Michelle Bachman! His economic plan looks like it was designed by Rupert Murdoch. He sincerely hates the poor. He is the perfect Republican!

October 11, 2011 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  25. Jean Sartre

I think the term OREO comes to mind here, especially when you have a candidate running on a platform of 9-9-9, a 9% State Sales Tax across the entire USA!

Of course, Mr. Cain, the entire Black Community is not buying into your garbage; it must be RACISM!

This is a totally regressive tax, disproportionally hitting and destroying the poor and middle class!

"Now I don't have any facts to back this up," but I believe Mr. Cain is a moron...

October 11, 2011 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |