Christie: I wouldn't be the best No. 2
October 12th, 2011

Christie: I wouldn't be the best No. 2

Washington (CNN) -While New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie did not rule out the possibility of appearing in the No. 2 slot on the 2012 GOP presidential ticket, he does have his reservations about how he'd fare in that role.

"There are certain personalities that are appropriate for being vice president. I don't know that mine fits in that particular mold," the high-profile Republican said during a press conference in his homestate Wednesday.

After being encouraged by members of the GOP donor community to throw his hat in the ring, Christie last week announced he would not run for president this cycle because "now is not my time."

Tuesday he endorsed former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, a GOP frontrunner in national polls.

When asked if he'd consider being Romney's running mate if the candidate secured the nomination, Christie said his characteristics might affect his ability to be vice president.

"I think that there might be other folks who, by their disposition, are more appropriately suited for vice president," he explained.

"I'm a member of Governor Romney's team now. I'm going try to help him in every way that I can."

He encouraged Republicans to focus on the top slot and Romney's campaign efforts, saying, "let's make sure he gets the nomination first and then we can worry about what he wants to do about the vice presidency."

The Garden State governor said he has had no conversations with Romney about the vice presidency, and he would "have to make a decision if it's offered."

Filed under: 2012 • Chris Christie • Mitt Romney
  1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

That should've been "number one". Pardon.

October 13, 2011 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  2. Al-NY,NY

Forget it Tubby. You are number 2 already

October 13, 2011 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

On the other hand, is he losing weight? That's a great looking suit on him.

October 13, 2011 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  4. pd123

He should take the VP spot. Then we would have laurel and Hardy

October 13, 2011 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  5. Bill

Doesnt really matter. I keep forgetting we have Joe Biden as VP. I guess the president wakes him once in a while so he can say something stupid and then the president puts him back in the corner.

October 13, 2011 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  6. Sheila

Christie's ego is larger than the White House – he is a RINO just like Romney – who needs either of them. They both like Romney/Obamacare – that's enough for me to not vote for them. Romney speaks well, is articulate and a smooth talker – we already have one of those in the White House and he is running us into the ground.

October 13, 2011 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  7. Maria

At the press conference he looked more like a Romney body guard. He has this look like he is ready for a fight.

October 13, 2011 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  8. DC Johnny

Just what we need – more mediocrity in the top 2 positions in Washington. Last time we Conservatives tried a half-term mediocre governor from Alaska. The country elected a mediocre Senator from Illinois. Now we're debating between mediocre governors from Massachusetts, Texas, and New Jersey to dethrone a mediocre president.

Cain, anyone?

October 13, 2011 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  9. realtalker1

He wouldn't be the best number 2 but I'll bet he has some really stinky number 2's

October 13, 2011 09:16 am at 9:16 am |