Anita Perry says husband 'brutalized' for faith
October 13th, 2011

Anita Perry says husband 'brutalized' for faith

(CNN) – Anita Perry stuck up for her husband Thursday, saying Texas Gov. Rick Perry was being "brutalized" by fellow conservatives for his Christian faith.

"It's been a rough month," Perry said in an emotional speech to voters in South Carolina Thursday. The speech was recorded by NBC News. "We have been brutalized and beaten up and chewed up in the press to where I need this today."

Rick Perry has been sliding in national polls since mid-September, when he put in shaky performances at two GOP presidential debates and lost a closely watched straw poll in Florida that he was widely expected to win. Perry's appearance at Tuesday's GOP debate also garnered negative reviews.

The latest CNN Poll of Polls, released Thursday, shows 14% of Republican voters identifying Perry as their choice for nominee, behind former Godfathers' Pizza executive Herman Cain and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney. Those numbers reflect a sharp fall since early September, when a CNN/ORC International poll showed 30% of Republican voters picking Perry.

Anita Perry pointed the finger at fellow Republicans, who she said took issue with the governor's strong conservative Christian stance.

"We are being brutalized by our opponents, and our own party," Perry said. "So much of that is, I think they look at him, because of his faith. He is the only true conservative – well, there are some conservatives. And they're there for good reasons. And they may feel like God called them too. But I truly feel like we are here for that purpose."

Perry grew teary when relating stories from her childhood, saying her father was a deacon at a local church and that she never missed Sunday school as a girl.

She said Perry relied on prayer when deciding whether or not to enter the GOP race.

"He felt like he needed to see that burning bush," Perry said. "I said he may not see that burning bush but other people are seeing it for you."

Perry's relationship with the influential evangelical pastor Robert Jeffress has come under scrutiny in the past week. Jeffress told reporters at the Values Voter Summit in Washington he believed Mormonism was a 'cult.' Two men running for the GOP presidential nomination are Mormons, Romney and former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman. Jeffress has endorsed Perry, and introduced him at the summit.

Also see:

CNN Poll of Polls: Romney & Cain battle for top spot

New nation poll shows Cain at top

Bachmann implies Cain plan could be devil's work

Filed under: 2012 • Religion • Rick Perry
  1. Sniffit

Translation: "Oh yeah Mittens? You're not the only religio-victim!!! I can claim it too!!! In fact, I'll ahve my wife do it for me so it's harder to slam the accusation!!!!"

October 13, 2011 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  2. dirtygopfleabaggers

Is this the same Christian that attended that lodge year after year with niggerhead as a name? ,...cry me a river you racist.

October 13, 2011 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  3. Bill

Poor persecuted Christians. I am so sick of this garbage for this right wing freaks.

October 13, 2011 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  4. NVa Native

I guess she didn't see her husband’s debate performances when he choked, stumbled, and fell on his face – any of the four?
    Perry likes to flaunt his self-righteous "religiosity" when it serves him, then when it back-fires he whines about being the victim.
    Sounds like the Palintology syndrome ~ no matter what dumb-ass thing they do they’re “always the victim”.
    No doubt about it – he's a Repubtee-bagger to the bone.

October 13, 2011 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  5. Al-NY,NY

Well I guess when you put your religiouslous out so prominantly, you invite this kind of stuff. Too bad Perry. You're sinking fast and soon will be gone.

October 13, 2011 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  6. Sandy

Anyone remember Mrs. Perry's statement a few weeks ago? Perry may have created minimum wage jobs "but that's what the people are longing for." LOL She's just as clueless as her husband.

October 13, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  7. Anonymous

You know this is the 21first century and these Bible thumpers just turn people off.

October 13, 2011 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

No one is questioning Gov. Perry's faith. People are questioning his character. "Who is Rick Perry?" Inquiring minds want to know. Gov. Perry has been providing the elecorate outside of Texas with some answers.

I would criticize the Governer for demonstrating that he doesn't understand the meaning of separation of church and state. But, that trait is something that evangelical conservatives want to see in a candidate. So, what do I know? I know this. I know it's wrong to legislate morality.

October 13, 2011 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  9. Anonymous

Religion is not Perry's main problem. He has many, and that's why he's doomed to failure.

October 13, 2011 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  10. CarolinaGirl1982

It's about time someone give a voice to the upperclass, white, Christian male. They've been silenced for too long.

October 13, 2011 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  11. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Um, Anita, you need to moisturize that hair.

October 13, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  12. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

All religion is a cult, Anita. I thought you knew.

October 13, 2011 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. We ALL Know, Mami

Here we go again, with the Governor Good Hair, and his not-so-good-hair-wifita!

NOW, what WE want to know is what did they tell HER about HER hair and about HIS hair?!

[Yep, que les dijieron del pelo?]

October 13, 2011 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  14. Carl in Reality

If being a Chrisitian means gloating over 200 plus humans executed under my watch as other gloating Christians applaud then I prefer President Obama. I voted for President Reagan because he was somewhat practical and truly moved the Nation forward. Now all we have aer GOP teabagging wingnuts.

October 13, 2011 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  15. phil

Oh, lordy here comes another martyr for the faith. These evangelicals - Palin, Perry - LOVE to play the victim card. This is not an election of prom king. This is a man who is running to be the leader of the free world effectively. This is the man with the codes fo the nuclear arsenal. Therefore, if Perry cannot stand to be jostled about and goes crying to his wife "They're being mean to me!" he hasn't the stuff to be president. He's also brutalized not because of his faith - which should be a private, not political matter - he is beaten up because he lacks intellect. Period. He's in good company on that stage because not one of them possess the intellect to lead this country, but he DOES lack intellect.

October 13, 2011 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  16. vic , nashville ,tn

Really I forget that Rick Perry is running how did missed him may be media is not talking about him

October 13, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  17. Ed DFWTX

People have been brutal to Perry because he lacks the necessary leadership skills to hold the highest office in the land. I find it amusing the same people who criticize black people for using the "race card" have the never to use the "religion card" when someone differs in their political opinions. Anita Perry is an idiot just like her Husband. I am so sick of hearing about Christians feeling like they are being discriminated against because of their religion. This country has bent over backward for people of all faiths and give large tax exemptions to these religious groups while many abuse the privledge.

October 13, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  18. collins Robert

Shouldn't the women remain silent:)

October 13, 2011 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  19. GI Joe

Joining the Palin Pity Party I see. Waaaaahhhhhh poor me poor me poor me they're picking on me waaaaaaahhhh

October 13, 2011 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  20. LacrosseMom(real one)

Oh PLEASE! Are you kidding, Mrs. Perry??? I will tell you who is brutalized...... by your husbands party:

The poor.... Gays....... Women...... the Elderly........ Disabled..... our nation's children....... Minorities.

October 13, 2011 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  21. Independent Voters

I wonder do she realize how the republican party beat up president Obama all the time now perry and his wife know how it feel to be beaten up by the conservative party.

October 13, 2011 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  22. The Real Tom Paine

Never knew that worshipping the Golden Calf was back in fashion.

October 13, 2011 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  23. GI Joe

---------------------
    Is he blind? The whole state of TX burned because he cut back on emergency help for his state, then whined and cried when OUR tax dollars only paid 75% - but his buddies got money.

October 13, 2011 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  24. We ALL Know, Mami

I tell you what else has gotten "brutalized" around here... it's our eyesight, with that spectacle of HER hair!

Come on, I-Need-Uh... Lurn sum sumting' about hairdo from Governor Good hair!

[Si, que les dijieron del pelo?!]

October 13, 2011 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  25. TommiGI

Everyone, please ignore her (and her husband).

October 13, 2011 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |